cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good reason for a dynamic IP?

N/A

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1171102004

I have no doubt that the "recording industry" are running bots to ascertain what is being sent out by p2p and by whom. The only useful identity they have to work on is IP addresses. A static IP will allow them to build up an idea of what is being shared and by whom over a period of time.

Without information which only Plusnet can provide, the "recording industry" will have to assume that every dynamic IP is a seperate user - it will make it much harder for them to track who is sending out what.

I suppose I should end this post by asking when the dynamic IP *option* is due to be introduced...
39 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi Oliver,

I know the idea of dynamic IPs has been accepted, but I could not say when. I'll see if I can get an update for you this week.
N/A

If you're only sharing legal stuff via p2p then you have nothing to worry about. Smiley
lhorwath
Grafter

I did not want to make any comments about legality :lol:
N/A

Well, naturally every p2p user on Plusnet is only sharing legal material. I never get bored of seeing these pigs fly.
csogilvie
Grafter

I find that a reason for NOT having Dynamic IPs personally. I also think (for some reason) that ISPs need to know who has what IP and when for a period of x day, anyway.
N/A

Of course the ISP will hold data as to who had which IP and when. Whether they make this data readily available to authorities is another matter.
csogilvie
Grafter

I believe they can be required by the courts to make it available.
N/A

Yes, but with a static IP they don't need this information, they know the IP is solely in use by one customer.
csogilvie
Grafter

They still need to request the contact details of the person with the IP - which would require them to go through the courts I believe.
Incidently:
Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000

This includes the power of government to:

• demand that an ISP provides acecss to a customer's communications in secret, i.e to divulge the websites you have visted and the emails you have sent
  • deman your decryption keys so that they can access any encrypted data on your computer (2 years in jail for refusal)
  • prevent the existnce of an interception warrant, or data collected with it, being revealed in court
N/A

And without the evidence built up from a static IP they would have much less evidence to present to a court.
csogilvie
Grafter

Not necessarily; you can build up just as much evidence about a dynamic IP as you can abotu a static IP.
csogilvie
Grafter

ISPs are meant to know who has a dynamic IP at a specific time. If asked by the courts, I understand they are menat to know who has it - so all they need to be provided with is the IP and the times and they have the evidence required - and remember with ADSL they are likely to have the same IP for more than just an hour.
N/A

And that dynamic IP would be used by a multitude of different people. What use is that in trying to find out ONE person's activities?
N/A

Put youself in the shoes of the recording industry. They want to find out exactly what every user is making available.

One way is to ask every ISP exactly what their users have been sending out - it's unlikely a court would allow a blanket request such as this to be allowed.

Another way is to use bots to run search queries accross p2p networks and monitor which IP's the files are coming from. The data collected via this method over a number of months is virtually useless in the case of a dynamic IP, as the files being shared on that IP over that period are from a multitude of different users. On a static IP, however, the files are all being shared by 1 user.

The news story I started the thread says:

"The 28 UK internet users targeted in the announcement do not yet know who they are. The BPI also has no knowledge of their identities and only knows them by their domain address. "

That says to me they have been some monitoring of what is being sent out over specific IP addresses, and that they have been monitoring static IP addresses and not dynamic ones.