cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Strange thing.....

N/A

A Strange thing.....

I have 2 pc's running on the same router, 1 via ethernet into the router port and the main 1 via wireless adaptor.

after doing a speedtest on the 1 connected via ethernet i got a speedtest reading of 4.34 MBPS

after doing 1 on the wireless connection i only got 3.23MBPS

is this indicating I have something wrong with my wireless conection, or could it be that my PC on the wireless connection needs a reformat or could it be a faulty Wireless adaptor??

thanks
7 REPLIES
Snarf
Grafter

A Strange thing.....

Depending upon the connection strength on a wireless network, the speed can be throttled. If you're on 802.11g the maximum you'll get is 55Mbps, however as signal strength starts to drop this connection speed will also start to drop, and could affect your overall connection speed.

Of course if you've got near perfect connection, I could be talking utter garbage Shockedops:
shellsong
Grafter

A Strange thing.....

55Mbps is the theoretical maximum throughput of 802.11g, in practice it is hard to get above 20Mbps although I guess that's not an issue if your looking at 20% of that throughput
N/A

A Strange thing.....

sorry u2 but youv'e lost me now..lol

i get ya...my connection to router from the adaptor was a perfect(Excellent)54 Mbps. As my router is on top of my PC.....however I've replugged the ethernet cable back into the router and removed the wireless to see if this make's any difference to my speeds.
shellsong
Grafter

A Strange thing.....

The main thing is that unless you are very close to most wireless routers with the computer you are using you don't get anything like the sort of speed you might expect

One exception to this is the Pre-N or MiMo type of router with multiple aerials and special chipsets which can actually enable you to get more speed at a distance than close to due to the way in which they can use several channels simultaneously

Using a Netgear wireless router my laptop couldn't even connect from a couple of rooms away whereas with a Belkin MiMO router it was able to connect faster than when it was right next to the Netgear

Wireless connections are extremely dependent on the positional relationship between computer and router and what is between them in the way of walls and suchlike
N/A

A Strange thing.....

The router i'm using at the moment is a Netgear DG834GT but I will have a Netgear RANGEMAX™ WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER DG834PN
which is Using Smart MIMO (Multi-In Multi Out) to Extend Wireless Range next week. And the adaptor is a Netgear W111 54Mbps.
shellsong
Grafter

A Strange thing.....

Well you never know your luck-- you may see an improvement! Wink
The improvement I saw on my laptop with the MiMo router was despite the fact that my laptop was using its own inbuilt non-MiMo WiFi to complete the connection!
N/A

A Strange thing.....

Wireless adds another layer of error checking and encryption which slows down the throughput.

You will never get real world results over wireless that match cables.