cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A House Moving Dilemma

N/A

A House Moving Dilemma

Hi everyone, long time user first time poster.

I realise that this is perhaps an odd situation that I'm in, but I need some opinions and advice on a dilemma that's involved with me moving house.

Currently I live with my family and pay for the household's broadband. In the coming few weeks I'm perhaps temporarily moving in with another relative and want to have broadband set up there and I wish to keep my current account with the e-mails and domain I have with PN. Meanwhile, my other members of family wish to keep their internet access and e-mails at their current house while they sell that house and move in with the relative I've moved in with and possibly buy into a new shared house. Thus, I'd perhaps have to merge our accounts into one again if I were still staying with them all. Told you what's going on is a bit crazy.

I know that PN will move accounts and reduce the cost with the 'Pay to Stay' scheme. I think that you I read you could only access PN mail through POP over a PN account.

My understanding at the moment is that I'd have to move my broadband account to this new address and then have my family create a new account. This would incur an activation fee which PN would cover if they stayed with PN over several years.

Now, when they move they'd have to cancel the account and start using my account again. This could be around 6 months to a year - a bit of a short term account - so they'd be charged for the activation. Then again I'd also have another moving broadband charge too, which I'm sure PN wouldn't like that too much. I don't know where my future lies at the moment, I could still be living with the full complement of my relatives or maybe I'd have a home of my own.

Does anyone here see where I may have misunderstood something or is this basically one big expensive mess that I'm looking at. Is there any way that PN would have some special offer to customers who have to merge their accounts into one?

In the end this is going to be an expensive year, but I suppose it's worth a go trying to see if I could avoid as many charges with PN as possible. Sorry for the long post, I felt it was necessary to fully explain what's going on with me at the moment.

Thanks for your patience. Smiley
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A House Moving Dilemma

No suggestions but an observation which may or may not be relevant.

When you do your first move to your relatives house, the account for the BT telephone line will be in a different name. This may affect whether you can do the move.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

A House Moving Dilemma

A good point, I should have taken notice of the warning in the moving house section of help. Thanks for that.

Hmm, this is going to be messy. Maybe I might have to set up a second account at my relative's house and register in their name at first and change it later? Then keep the original at my parent's open for them to use and pay me for. It's the domain name and webspace I'm wary of as it's tied to my original account is it not?
Community Veteran

A House Moving Dilemma

Moving domains between accounts shouldn't be too bad - although care will be needed if it is the free domain as adding it to account might default to paid for.
LiamM
Grafter

A House Moving Dilemma

Alternative option. Just sign up at the new house a new account. Get that line activated and then just switch the logins. You can login to your own Plusnet account from your Plusnet line and login to the new house account at the old house.

At some point you would have to cease a line and pay the deferred costs though.

Btw John, does the name on the BT account still affect things? I don't think it does. I think it's just postcode.

I placed an order for my new house last week. In my name, but the line is registered in my Mum's name. All went through fine.
James
Grafter

A House Moving Dilemma

Believe they just check the post code against the telephone number. Name of account holder really shouldn't matter.
Sciurus

A House Moving Dilemma

The name of the BT account holder only becomes an issue if it is changed after the broadband service is established.
This can lead to the dreaded 'PSTN cease' which also kills the broadband service, and leaves you in a position of having to pay for a new reprovide.
I would agree with the suggestion that your best option is to leave the existing account where it is, and create a new account for the new location.
Depending on how long you have had the existing account, you may already have paid the line activation fee.
Community Veteran

A House Moving Dilemma

Alternative option. Just sign up at the new house a new account. Get that line activated and then just switch the logins. You can login to your own Plusnet account from your Plusnet line and login to the new house account at the old house.

That will only work if they are both on the same login domain.
N/A

A House Moving Dilemma

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions so far.

It seems a far better idea now to create a new account at my new address. I was only worried about moving the account running due to the free domain issue. If that can be sorted somehow then that's OK. I suppose PN would be OK to transfer the domain settings to the new account if I told them.
Community Veteran

A House Moving Dilemma

Actually - why do you need to transfer the domain? If you are connected via PN on the new account you will be able to collect mail, update the website - in fact do everything with the domain.
N/A

A House Moving Dilemma

I thought it might throw up a problem somewhere if the account details are different. From what I understand I own the domain but the settings are run by PN. Seeing as my address would change I thought I'd have to change the details of the account to my mum as she would be paying for it. If that won't cause a problem then that's OK.
Community Veteran

A House Moving Dilemma

I don't think you need to change anything until the final move. There's no problem that I know of with you having your name on two accounts.