Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8mb upgrade slower than my old 2 mb !

petsyb
Grafter

Great news! We're delighted to announce that your broadband has been
upgraded to give you 'Up to 8Mb' speeds.

Cry

is this what i can expect from now (it was at 2mb now half that ) :?:

http://www.plus.net/features/highspeed.shtml?pn_session=b9f25404fef4801b759e367269676171
Please note: some customers may see no increase in speed as a result of being moved over to the new high-speed service. A very small proportion of customers may actually see a speed reduction – unfortunately we will be unable to move you back to your previous service

or will it increase over the next 10 days :?:

52 REPLIES
N/A

Trust me....

IF I stay with +net and IF they upgrade me to MaxDSL and IF my speeds are lower than my current 2Mb throttled to death link, then they wont need to worry about moving me back to my old service.....I'll be moving myself to another ISP
petsyb
Grafter

even more worryingly my speed seem to be getting lower
823 and 791.9 on plus net speed test

someone please tell me, is this normal when you first go to 8mb ?
dontfollowme
Dabbler

I am in exactly the same boat:

PlusNet Speed Test

Your current speed is:

501.50kbps

Which means you can download at 62.69 KB/sec. from our servers.

What is frustrating is that it is within the limits for a 2Mb connection as defined by BT:
As this is a contended service there may be periods that maximum speeds will not be achieved and as such BT may not accept a speed fault if the speed test does not show results below certain levels between 7am and 12am.

They are as follows:

For a line speed of 512kbps, a minimum of 100kbps is acceptable.
For a line speed of 1Mb, a minimum of 200kbps is acceptable.
For a line speed of 2Mb, a minimum of 400kbps is acceptable.
For a line speed of 8Mb, a minimum of 400kbps is acceptable.

Its worse for the fact that before the regrade I was relatively happy.
N/A

Welcome to the world of 8mb....If your speed is above 400kbps then it is aparantly acceptable and PN cant do anything about it...This was what I was told in a ticket I raised about speed.. Hence why when June comes I am getting outta this C**p hole of a ISP...
petsyb
Grafter

Its worse for the fact that before the regrade I was relatively happy

me as well

i just hope the speed will increase over the next few days ! anyone?

is there anyone who has been on 8mb for a while and found that the speed does increase to 8mb ?
N/A

I was upgraded 19 days ago and the most I have had is about 3.5mb...router sync at 8128 and pn stable page says 7000 but i have never got anywhere near those speeds
petsyb
Grafter

antrobus6 did your speed start of really slow or at what you are at now ?
N/A

Its just slow most of the time.......May get a few spikes of speed not not too often..Usual just below 2mb connection speed
petsyb
Grafter

My previous constant 2mb connection is now a so called 7.2mb running an actual variable speed between 400k and 950k less than 1mb Evil

So is this the best it gets :?:
Community Veteran

maxed on 3rd may.

line speed on plusnet net website 7000 my line has never disconected or fallen below this figure.

fasted speed achieved 3.2mps.

I have raised a number of tickets and i also recieved the frustrating ticket saying that as it's above 400kps so we can't do anyhting. I found the tone of that ticket a tad on the cheeky side too.

If maxdsl restricts customers to speeds less than before then plusnet must be rubbing their hands as we can't use the service so much.

plusnet must be quids in :-)

A

Still awaitng the massive speed increase to doenlad nearer my line speed.
JonathanW
Grafter

This is something that BT are aware of, and is possibly something that they're going to be investigating between now and when they make the bulk regrade tool available again during the summer.

Its possible that the issues you're seeing at the moment are due to exchange contention, even though nothing is showing up in the exchange status checkers. This is something that only BT can resolve, and is likely to become more evident as we move forwards and more people are upgraded.

As for the limit being set at 400kbps, this is something that BT have decided and unfortunately something that we don't have the power to change.
N/A

I've been told I'll have to put up with it as well.

Question is, should I wait and see if it improves (it's been <500K since the 2nd May so I doubt it) or should I go to another provider.

Pipex looks quite good - but will I be suffering the same problems with them as I am with Plusnet? Is it really a BT issue or Plusnet?

Any advice anyone?
Community Veteran

Cheers Jon,

As mentoined elsewhere my exchange is green all the way in the exchange checker.

Are you able to tell if the elusive delta report has been returned for my account and if the delta report could be the reason why the line syncs so high but works so slow.

Is it the delta report which set up plusnets end of the connection to allow things to work to there max potential.

cheers

A
N/A

maxed on 3rd may.

line speed on plusnet net website 7000 my line has never disconected or fallen below this figure.

fasted speed achieved 3.2mps.

I have raised a number of tickets and i also recieved the frustrating ticket saying that as it's above 400kps so we can't do anyhting. I found the tone of that ticket a tad on the cheeky side too.

If maxdsl restricts customers to speeds less than before then plusnet must be rubbing their hands as we can't use the service so much.

plusnet must be quids in :-)

A

Still awaitng the massive speed increase to doenlad nearer my line speed.

Hehehehe, I also had that ticket sent to me as well....