cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8mb on router not speed test

N/A

I am on premier package, got email about being regraded, my router says downline speed of 8***kb but when I do speed test its < 2mb speed. Whats going on!?
21 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

It can take a while for the actual speed to update but a trick that seems to work is to try and get your equipment to sync at a different speed for about 30 mins. Do you have an old/faulty filter or a telephone extension you could use temporarily?

If not the speed will update by itself within a couple of days.
N/A

What do you get when you do a BT Speedtest? If it's higher than 2Mbps it could indicate that PlusNet have got your profile set wrongly, and that they need to change it from 2Mbps to the MaxDSL (8Mbps) one.
N/A

The email about the regrade is below Shouldnt it be MAX rather than 2000?

Dear Mr Mark Marsella,

PlusNet are pleased to confirm that your broadband regrade to BT IPStream
Home 2000 is now complete.

Please note: You may need to reboot your modem or router before you can
experience your new speed.
N/A

Router says 8mb line tests at 1.72

Can you please elaborate on how plugging in an old or faulty filter will suddenly allow the line speed to increase? It its connected at 8mb to the DSLAM then how can this make any difference?
Where is the connection being throttled in the network?
The only traffic shaping in use is at your end isnt it? I may be wrong but I seem to remember it being ATM from the DSLAM back to your routers and then the shaping starts. I f this is the case, do BT use any kind of QOS or TOS tagging on the ATM?

Andy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If your router automatically reconnects too soon after the upgrade, the BT equipment doesn't see the speed change and leaves your BRAS profile set to a maximum of 2MB. If you reconnect at a significantly different speed (for around half an hour) it sees the change and updates the BRAS profile to 8MB. You can then go back to your normal setup and should see the proper speeds.

That's the theory...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

What Mand is suggesting, is trying to "fool" the BRAS setting in to being set by giving it a lower than usual sync rate on your modem/router (by using a faulty filter/telephone extension, which could cause the sync to be somewhat lower due to line noise, etc...)

Doing that can sometimes kick-start the BRAS profile in to realising that you've synced at higher than 2Mbps speeds, and raise the rate limit which BT Wholesale have set on everyone's line. Otherwise you have to wait around 3 days for it to be lifted.

But as I said in my reply earlier, I'd suggest doing a BT Speedtest before all of that, to see what that gives back because if that gives back higher than 2Mbps speeds then it's potentially PlusNet's profile on the account which is wrong, and nothing else.
N/A

Thanks for both explanations, I'll give it a go.

Would it not be the same as disconnecting the router from the loop for around 30 minutes?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No, you actually need to connect and get a different sync speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

The bt test gave me under 2mb results.
SiMania
Grafter

I've got the exact same problem, was upgraded yesterday morning but getting worse speeds than usual.
N/A

I managed to get my router resynced at 5.3mb/s then resynced it back to 8mb/s but no use. Still getting speed test results consistantly lower than before the upgrade.
The BT test also showed 1196kb/s, I was getting 2mb/s before.
N/A

Your current speed is:
892.50kbps
Which means you can download at 111.56 KB/sec. from our servers.

Tell me this isnt true !
N/A

8Mb upgrade

I had apply to change my package to 'PlustNet Broadband Premier Option 1' and according to an email I have received from PlusNet to confirm the package as show below. However, this was over a week ago and I still stuck on 2Mb. They say that any requested speed change to your broadband services will take half a day to activate.' So, Half a day turn into more than a week? I had already rebooted my wireless ADSL+2 Modem and confirm the speed from the box as 2Mb. I checked the exchange as it is already upgrade to Max DSL services. So, did anyone been upgraded within few hours or do you have to wait for a week?

PlusNet are pleased to confirm that your ADSL regrade to PlusNet Broadband
Premier Option 1 (Monthly Contract, No Modem) is now complete.

Any requested speed change to your broadband service will take half a day
to activate.

If you have any further queries, our friendly Support team can be contacted
via the convenient Contact Us facility at our website,
http://portal.plus.net/, or by telephone on 0845 1400200.
JonathanW
Grafter

If you simply change your package, then this won't automatically put through a regrade order on your line. The only time this will happen is if you agree to pay the £14.99 fee for the regrade and your line is currently running at less than 2mb.