cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8Meg - Upstream speed?

N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Does anyone know the upstream speed for the new 8Meg service once hits the general population?
11 REPLIES
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

256KB at the moment .....
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Hi,

NOP! thats NOT correct actualy!!, its been destinctly said that once an 8Meg service such as MAXDSL or ADSL2+ is available then the upload speed will increase to and will be 1Meg eventually. Yes! may be 256K at present on ordinary ADSL upto 2meg this will definately change this year but no date/s have been given.

Ivan
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

i still cant see why they cant make download and upload the same. gov needs to fund BT more Evil
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Hi garytester

Sorry! but I think your missing the point some were? A product that provides the same upstream & downstream speeds already exsists & is already available for purchase. Its Symetric Digital Subscriber line (SDSL) 1meg up & 1 meg down or 2megs up & 2megs down but I think you will find its about 4-5 times more expensive than the normal ADSL service. Further more NOT all BT exchanges have SDSL enabled, my local exchange here in Leeds does have SDSL but its way out of my price range. SDSL is generally more well suited to business uses i'd suggest.

Ivan
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

i ment that we should have broadband with same upload/download speed readily avalible, ie: not as expensive as SDSL.
Frogger
Grafter

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Hi,

We are talking about ADSL 2+, and F9 will probably be using the BT ADSL Max upgrade option, hence the BT info at http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=79c4f477-2d4e-41b0-af6a-61be68a01ba3 should be relevant. Remember you are using ADSL which is Asymetrical DSL, and the uplink speed is adaptive on line quality. The quoted range for the ADSL Max uplink is 64K- 448K. I can vouch for the adaptive nature of ADSL as for a while when I had a line quality fault, my up link on regular ADSL wound itself down to 64K, on a 500K service. BT fixed the fault and it came back to 288K. Since the fault cleared I got speeded up to 1M, with 288K uplink. I am a happy bunny now, and am not expecting great things from ADSL Max due to poor line quality here in Milton Keynes.

Hope this all helps, this represents my own understanding of the situation, and is not an official answer from F9 or BT.

Colin
JonathanW
Grafter

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Yes, the information linked by dowse above is correct for the Home version of DSLMax, the business version gets a slightly higher upstream speed, but is again rate adaptive.

With regards to BT offering an upload speed the same as the download speed, this isn't possible due to the very nature of ADSL, as its designed to be asynchronous. SDSL does offer synchronous upstream and downstream speeds, but has much tighter restrictions on line quality and distance, and it also requires more expensive hardware on the customer side.
Frogger
Grafter

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Hi.

Just to correct Jon on a small point, the A and S in front of DSL is for Asymmetrical and Symmetrical, not Asynchronous / Synchronous. I can confirm that at the moment the availability of SDSL is limited from BT Wholesale and the costs are very high compared to ADSL.

Regards
Colin
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

So far, everybodys response in this thread is to simply state the facts SDSL vs ADSL as it stands in todays world, and hasn't really answered the original question.... why we should not be allowed to sacrifice some download bandwidth to create more upload bandwidth.... I can't see any techncal reason why this could not have been possible if it had been designed into ADSL standards from the outset.

The only reason I can think of is that BT (and other telcos) have done it deliberately for commercial reasons.... i.e. an attempt to preserve their lucractive (i.e. expensive) buisiness products so they can rip off the buisiness community who need to run servers. There is no room in their buisiness plans for the "home internet enthusiast" who just wants it for a hobby.
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

BT need to make as much money as possible to keep a float.
N/A

8Meg - Upstream speed?

Hi,

Actually!! I disagree with whats being said here about ADSL & I think your missing the point. Look the facts are that ADSL & SDSL are internationally agreed telecommunications standards (just like TCP/IP is another standard, or IPSEC is another,etc,etc) these standards were agreed by the IEEE (thats the "Institute of Electriconic & Electrical Engineers).

ADSL is was designed to be asymetrical from day one in order to allow faster downloads, as it was thought that the downloading aspect of the service would be of more importance than the upload. i.e. thought that users would download more than upload. So thats how the tecnology was focused, its were the emphasis was placed, also ADSL was seen as a way to provide a very cost effective services to a mass audiance, within the price range affordable to the most users. Being a contended service allows the most users to benefit.

SDSL was focused differently, here the focus was on a balance of upload & download. This specific technology uses the available frequencies differently from ADSL. I suspect that where ADSL has 3 seperate channels one large for downlaods, one medium for uploads and the last for voice calls. SDSL probabaly also has x3 channels (two of the same size) and the last channel for voice calls.

**The way the technology was designed has little or nothing to do with the telecos themsleves, there only involvement is implementing the infra-structure to make the technology work they didnt invent or design it.

**How much the likes of BT charge for the ADSL or SDSL is a seperate matter IMO.

Ivan