cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8Mbps is running very very slow help please!

N/A

Hey Everyone
my line was upgraded about 4-5 days ago up to 8Mbps from 2Mbps ....I noticed a speed increase initially but now after doing a speed check with ADSL guide I am really really slow ie down and up =0.4Mbps or 442Kbps down and 370Kbps up Huh? I am actually going slower than berfore my upgrade! I started to use the wizard to sort the problem out and it says exchange etc are ok its in here that is the prob! Now I am disabled and find great difficulty using these things so my question is this : is there a kind person out there that can put into plain english how to sort this problem out step by step instead of me trying to use the BT speed test which unfortunately will be a heck of a rigmarole getting a carer to do this for me!
Please get back to me !
Thanks
Regards
Buccaneer :?:
7 REPLIES
N/A

Well, your new Maxdsl line will take up to 10 days to sync. In other words, your line speeds will go up and down like a prostitutes knickers Smiley

Also.......

The issue appears to be where a line is connected to a router and so on-line when the regrade actually happens, BT do not recognise the new line sync as being from a Max line (it's too quick). Later re-syncs at the same rate do not prompt BT to take any action either. This means the normal 75 minutes for a new or regraded line does not happen. The line should have the rate correctly set after 3 days. The reason some lines appear to work is that they are either slow to reconnect, not on-line during the regrade, or sync at a different rate later. Ironically this does mean that really good lines that always sync at a full 8128M are unlikely to have the speed change applied promptly.

The upshot of which is that if you are going to be upgraded turn your router off overnight.

[Addendum] - Another feature of the upgrade to Max is that your SNR will drop, possibly to single figures. This is normal and to be expected as a result of the upgrade.

Hope this helps and explains whats going on.

Laters
N/A

Hi
Ive just fitted a new router and i was wondering if anyone know what sort of speed increase i would get roughy with max dsl on its way

Uptime: 0 days, 14:50:02

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 2.272

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 993,06 / 0,99

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 19,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21,5 / 37,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,0 / 29,5

cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi buccaneeruk,

Do you what your line stats are and what speed the line's sync'ing at?

So long as the sync speed is at least 2Mbps I'd suggest running the BT speedtest at a few different times of the day to see what speeds that gives.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

If the sync speed has dropped as well then I'd suggest taking a look through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps. A problem with the internal wiring or filters may not have been noticed before but under Max is actually causing a slower than expected speed.
N/A

Thanks

Hey All
Thanks for your replies!
I think it would be better to wait for the ten days to pass before I panic and start worrying about my speeds! I will however read the stuff at the links that you gave me! So my thanks go out to:
Realist and
dtomlinson!!

Kind Regards
Buccaneer
Brickinit
Grafter

stick with it buccaneer after mine was upgraded last week speeds have become very erratic keeps losing sync having to reboot every few mins. very very frustrating at the moment can't plug in the DECT phone at the moment and everything drops out when the phone is used this ten day period will not be over quick enough for me.
N/A

I agree

Hey happyhound
I tend to agree with you buddy ...best just to wait and try to not kick the dog in the mean time hehehe
Regards
Buccaneer
Brickinit
Grafter

that was a GRUFF joke buccaneer