cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8Mbit Speeds?

N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

My sync speed has been 8128 kbps from day one of the MaxDSL upgrade... and from Friday evening my stable rate has been 8000.

I have been running speed tests every now and then during various hours of the day, and I can never seem to exceed the 5 Mbps barrier... why is this?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

8Mbit Speeds?

Contention.

Try running the BT Speed test. If your speeds are still that low then it's contention in the exchange and nothing to do with PN. If they are higher then it will be contension on the BT centrals or traffic management.
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

Just ran the BT speed test and it came to 4874 kbps

its 2am... surely it should be faster now...
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

Thay may be the max your line canhandle. But i seem to get max 6.5 as weell never past or always below it.
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

It's possible you might be maxing out the servers you're trying to download from. Have you tried doing multiple concurrent downloads from different severs?

Here's my experience of downloading on ADSLMax:

My modem syncs at 7.3Mbps, which would give me a theoretical maximum download rate of around 810KB/s or 6.6Mbps (if you allow 9% for overheads)

For a single download, the download speed I can achieve is 5.3Mbs (650KB/s)

For two concurrent downloads, the download rate I get is 5.7Mbs (700KB/s) for two concurrent downloads.

For three concurrent downloads, the download rate I get is 6.7Mbs (820KB/s)
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

A good program to test download speed by getting multiple files is Getright (freeware)

Get the program and head over to download.microsoft.com and get about 3-4 big files.

I got this (836K):

PS. Depending on how the M$ servers are loaded you may want to add a file from a different site as well.
Community Veteran

8Mbit Speeds?

Just ran the BT speed test and it came to 4874 kbps

its 2am... surely it should be faster now...

That is BT exchange contention, plain and simple. There is nothing you or PN can do when this happens.

As more and more people get faster speeds, contention in the exchange will increase and thus speeds will decrease.
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

That is BT exchange contention, plain and simple.

While you are in the 10-day post upgard period all sorts of weird thing seem to happen with bandwidth. I've had stable rate 8000 since Friday, but only managed speeds above 2Mb for a 30second period this morning!

Wait until the bedding in period is up - then we can see how horrific the contention issues will be.....
N/A

8Mbit Speeds?

Well during the day time the maximum speeds I can get are around 400kb/s... but after 2am last night, I was downloading a torrent at 810kb/s (peak) Cheesy