cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8MB etc

sixpence
Grafter

8MB etc

What does 8mb etc do ? Is it not fast enough now ?
Would like to know as most of this stuff is so much gobbldee googe, to me.
jolynn
14 REPLIES
N/A

8MB etc

The old phrase much wants more springs to mind.

Personally, yes for now, it is plenty, you can download a movie (legally) in less time than it would take to watch it, online streaming would be perfect, downloading files would be simple, but as file sizes etc get larger, and more game companies do what EA are starting to do in that you download a game or addon instead of going into the shop, then yeah you might need more, but at the moment, 8mb is PLENTY, so go ahead and have phun!!
N/A

8MB etc

Just don't go over the limit with too much phun Tongue
N/A

8MB etc

yeah lol, or your 8m will soon become back down to 2mb
willhome
Grafter

8MB etc

Funny how you can say what do we need 8mb for? when there people on 24mb in country and over in sweden they on 100mbps and in japan they trialing 1gb connections
shellsong
Grafter

8MB etc

South Korea's doing pretty well too (and let's hear it for Iceland! :lol: )
sixpence
Grafter

8MB etc

Thank you all for your response. Gee, don't think some of those gizmo's will tempt me.
Be Happy.
jolynn
N/A

8MB etc

Funny how you can say what do we need 8mb for? when there people on 24mb in country and over in sweden they on 100mbps and in japan they trialing 1gb connections

Just because you have that speed, does it mean your going to utilize it, a 1gb connection, what is the point, you could fill up the BIGGEST single hard drive in under 7 hours, its no use for gaming, nor streaming, there is nothing out there that cant be streamed on an 8mb line now, yes for the future,
N/A

8MB etc

a 1gb connection, what is the point,

Well you could go for a business package and attempt to run a mini data center from your home address ( well at least till the wife gets sick of the house humming 24/7 and till she opens the leccy bill ).
N/A

8MB etc

what! you cant stream HDTV nor a bluray film on 8mbit, its not the point that you can fill up a disk in 7 hours (and hey i have 8tb in my room -- that would take longer than 7 hours on 100mbit :p) its the point that you dont have to WAIT to get things, having been on gigabit lines (I run dedicated servers)100mbit lines (yay for uni) // 10 mbit lines (uni as well) and 2mbit lines (home) I know how much it sucks to be on a slow connection, and even 10mbit feels "slow" when compared to 100mbit, and 100 seems totaly slow compared to GigE. Its all about patiance and the like, on 56k modems you could download a film over about 4 days, on 2mbit it took about 2 hours, etc etc .. if you want somthing badly enough you will be prepared to wait for it, however, if the speed can be given (as you CAN get GigE connections in this country) why should we have to wait around at a piss poor 8mbit with huge caps.

So to sum 8mbit is not fast at all -- infact compared to what it could be, it is totaly slow.
N/A

8MB etc

i think most, like me will be happy with that for a while, we all were with 56k once...jeez, can you imagine going back to that lol

yeah i think the wife would go mental with me if it were 24/7
N/A

8MB etc

Mine already is 24/7 lol. The only device ( computer related ) not running 24/7 is my sons laptop.
N/A

8MB etc

well if your happy with 8mbit, you would have been happy with 2mbit, and if you were happy wiht 2mbit, you would have probably been happy with 56k, as you say "how could we go back to that" (re the 56k comment) think about that when you go from GigE lines down to a 100mbit line (a 10x drop) and from gigE to 10mbit (a 100x drop) you would hate to go from gigE to 10mbit -- just as you would hate to go from 10mbit (or 8 depending if your on cable or maxDSL -- and only then its what you sync at - unlike cable). It is all relative, and well if you think 8mbit is great.. then well yay but I think we should all push for faster speeds from BT seeing as the cable companies can increase their speeds exponentialy with little cost due to the fiber backbones they already have in place -- supporting upto 10gigabit or faster.

Toms : just to say a 1 gigE link could not run a small DC, it could at most host 10 dedicated 100mbit lines, or 1 gigE line.
shellsong
Grafter

8MB etc

If you have a family I can foresee a time in the not too far distant future when a normal state of affairs would be for three online HDTVs to be running at once during the evening peak period and both 8Mbps and PlusNet style usage constraints will look pretty sick then-- particularly as the most efficient way of doing it would be in the form of P2P to take the load off the broadcasters
willhome
Grafter

8MB etc

would be intresting to see where the costs come in for isp with bt line / isp on its own LLU(like bulldog) and compare with swedens 25euro's 100mb uncapped lines..... what are the differences