cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8MB Announcement - 'tis overdue...

N/A

With BT rolling out 8MB at the end of this month (and my exchange planned for then) I was wondering if Metronet ar going to make any announcements - it seems that most other ISP's have managed to tell customers what the plans are for April onwards.

[Cheekily] Or is Metronet going to surprise us all and upgrade us automatically (like one ISP I have seen).
35 REPLIES
N/A

Re: 8MB Announcement - 'tis overdue...

[Cheekily] Or is Metronet going to surprise us all and upgrade us automatically (like one ISP I have seen).

Huuummmm... That sounds good to me as well Wink and you do have a fair point.

It would be good if metronet is jumping on the 8mb wagon although it would make good business sense Smiley
N/A

This may be of interest to you. No idea if this will apply to Metronet customers as part of Plusnet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/15/plusnet_broadband/
N/A

Ye i seen this on isp review yesterday Smiley

lets wait and see Wink
N/A

8MB????

:?: Hi there James, are you there? Any answers to this?
James
Grafter

Hi Guys,

Sorry, have been mainly stuck in the community support forum. We are currently looking into a product specification for the MaxDSL service. Unfortunately this will not be ready for the release on March 31st.

Once of the lines of thinking is to turn:

PayGo500 ---> PayGo2000
PayGo1000 ---> PayGo4000
PayGo2000 ---> PayGo8000

Keeping either the same of similar usage allocations, although will be considering offering free off peak usage, similarly to the Plusnet offering. What would peoples thought be on this?

We're also looking into being able to over a low cost migration to Plusnet services and vice versa, so if you do wish to join the Max products, and feel that one of the Plusnet products would be vaible for you, this could be done at minimal expense.

Basically, more news as I have it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi James

Very interesting.....

A techie question.
I'm currently on PayGo1000 if I'm upgraded how fast would my line actually go?
I think I would be struggling to reach the 2000 - so would I be stuck fixed to the 1000 or would the line run somewhere in between ie speeds for those of us upgraged to the 4000 would run at the fastest our lines could cope with :?:
N/A

James

Those sort of upgrades sound sensible.

Has any thought been given to increasing the paid cap, i.e. the point at which you stop paying more money? I'm not proposing removing it as that would just allow the piss takers to take the piss again.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm currently on PayGo1000 if I'm upgraded how fast would my line actually go?

Hi,

DSLMax allows your line to sync at the maximum it can support based on things like line stats, quality and length. To get a rough idea of the speed it can support, if you know your line stats bang them into

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

and it will give you an estimate. DSLMax sync speeds are going to vary from line to line so you could see anything from your current speed up to 8Mbps.
N/A

I could live with 8Mb, 10Gb included usage per month with free off peak usage (based on 12am to 4pm), I'm currently on PayGoExtra2000 so without the free off peak usage I would be hitting the price ceiling of PayGo2000 every month.

PayGoExtra2000 ---> PayGoExtra8000 would be very nice (with or without free off peak usage).

It would be nice to have the option of 20:1 contention ratio back to get the faster upload of MaxDSL.

Maybe PayGo8000 20:1 at the same price as PayGoExtra2000 or PAYGoS 2000 is now?
N/A

Whilst I appreciate the response:

Once of the lines of thinking is to turn:

PayGo500 ---> PayGo2000
PayGo1000 ---> PayGo4000
PayGo2000 ---> PayGo8000

I have seen other ISP's (Newnet for example) offer everyone an upgrade to Max (8MB) when its available - in the meantime new customers get the 2MB at the same price as 512KB automatically.

Any response James?
James
Grafter

Wouldn't happen I'm afraid. Too many customers are on the slower packages for a reason. Forcing a number of people to start paying more for their service would be decidedly unfair.
Everlands

PayGo500 ---> PayGo2000
PayGo1000 ---> PayGo4000
PayGo2000 ---> PayGo8000

That sounds like a fair idea ... although I don't think my line/exchange can handle much over 2000 currently.

Andy
N/A

Wouldn't happen I'm afraid. Too many customers are on the slower packages for a reason. Forcing a number of people to start paying more for their service would be decidedly unfair.

I think you should see their website - £11.75 regardless of speed.

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/home_lite.php

Stewart[/url]
Community Veteran

I think what James was reffering to was that 512 is as fast as thier line will currently support.