Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 Meg line checker

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

8 Meg line checker

Can someone tell me what is the point of the "Check if you can get 8meg" checker when all it does is says your exchange is BB enalbled which you already know!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

if I had a pound for everytime I've read that over the past day or so I'd be a rich 17 going on 20 going on 40 year old Tongue
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

can i just double check something, just done a check on the BTw checker and it says:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

Does this mean that my exchange has been upgraded to MAXDSL and I can get the up to 8meg package?

If so does anyone think its worth it or is LLU the way to go? if it is then I will need to wait as we only have bulldog right now!
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

What checker did you use and whats your exchange called?

I've just used this one-
http://www.bt.com/broadband/

And it mentioned 2meg etc but didn't mention any of the higher speeds on my exchange which is Intake. I can see the exchange from my house and its about 2 mins walk, so its possible yours has been upgraded.

Chris
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

Well I just went to the BT site:

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate of 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

I'm on a 2meg service atm and should be able to get higher speeds yet; I'll post my stats when I get home...

BT are Idiots...
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

8 Meg line checker

Hi,

The full list of the 53 exchanges is below. For any customer on one of these exchanges the checker should show up an estimate of what speed you should be able to see under DSL Max and as an existing customer you can upgrade to one of the up to 4Mbps or up to 8Mbps accounts (there's a regrade fee of £14.99), or as a new customer can sign up for one of the higher speeds.

Barry
Belfast Cregagh
Bangor
Belfast Balmoral
Belfast City
Belfast Knock
Bridgeton
Bristol Redcliffe
Cardiff Central
Chiswick
Connel
Dalmally
Earls Court
Chelsea
East Kilbride
Fulham
Glasgow Cambuslang
Greengairs
Harlesden
Harrow
Helensburgh
Kensington Gardens
Kilmarnock
Langside
Giffnock
Glasgow Western (Linfern)
Llandaff
Glengormley
Howland Street
Llanishen
Lisburn
Lochgoilhead
Londonderry
Londonderry Waterside
Lords
Mayfair
Newquay
Ochiltree
Newtownards
Penzance
Radyr
Pollok
Primrose Hill
Roath
Saltash
Rhoose
South Kensington
Scotstoun
St Ives
St Austell
West Kensington
Truro
Vauxhall
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

thanks Dave

I noticed that if i type in my number when signing up to PN it says I can get up to 8meg, where as if i type in my dads number it just says coming soon, would be nice if something like this was on the checker that is on the 8meg landing page rather than having to actually attempt to sign up before you find out what you can get!
N/A

8 Meg line checker

Dave,

Could you take a look at this thread as they are both along the same topics.

On page 2 daniel asked about the prices etc for the 8mb speeds and I explained as I understood it.
Could you perhaps look at my post on page 3 and see if something could be on the books for users in the same situation ?

Regards,
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

Fine aylesbury Isn't on the trial :-( I could've sworn it was though..
kosh2
Grafter

8 Meg line checker

Sadly taunton is nowhere near the trial.

What i do not underdstand running these checkers (and I have used many for comparison) is that it always says I may get 512 at a push or more likely 256 but my line is too long for anything else.

I am using 1mb!!!
Community Veteran

8 Meg line checker

BT database is likely wrong then - as it is for me. In the summer they upgraded me to 2mb as part of the free regrades. I've never had loss of sync. Yet they now say I can only get 1mb at a push. can you post your line stats if you we'll be able to tell you what your line should support.
holdtight
Grafter

8 Meg line checker

Dave is there any new info from BTW yet on when other exchanges are likely to be added to that list ?

cheers

Bill.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

8 Meg line checker

Just had a look at the BT Wholesale site and first "extra" exchange on top of the first 53 is due to be enabled this week. The exchange is Hook in Hampshire.

As it's only 6 days since the 28 exchanges were enabled the initial regrade orders for these are still in progress, once these are complete we will then be contacting customers on up to 4/8Mbps and PAYG/Lite accounts on each exchange as they are upgrade to advise that a regrade order will be placed for them.
N/A

8 Meg line checker

can i just double check something, just done a check on the BTw checker and it says:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

Does this mean that my exchange has been upgraded to MAXDSL and I can get the up to 8meg package?

If so does anyone think its worth it or is LLU the way to go? if it is then I will need to wait as we only have bulldog right now!
It's entirely possible that with LLU you will only see a slight increase over 8Mb-- it completely depends on the quality of your line. My friend on Be can get 11Mb out of a possible 24Mb, but he pays less than I'm going to when my exchange eventually gets MAX, so you figure it out Smiley

Not sure if Be will make it to Glasgow any time soon, though.