cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 days no response, speeds <500 kbps for 6 weeks

N/A

I raised my ticket (ID: 19924319) on 27 July, after a 3 day wait for my first reply I replied with the required speed test results - having been told that my problem would be dealt with asap. 6 days after supplying the speed test results I am still waiting for a response! This is after I explained that I have had a speed issue since activation 8 weeks ago! (original fault ticket ID: 19618050)

Here is a summary of my problem since maxDSL line activation at my new address (line rate given, data rate about 200 kbps less):

Weeks 1 - 4: 500 kbps (locked at 160 kbps in fact!)
Weeks 5 - 6: 2000 kbps (hoorey!)
Weeks 7 - 8: 500 kbps (grr!)

I would be very grateful if sombody could tell me when my problem will be investigated & when I will receive a response from Customer Support, less than 500 kbps isn't broadband! For your information my line stats haven changed since Day 1.
12 REPLIES
halfchan
Grafter

See/search topic "LLU speed rubbish" I am still waiting for an explaination/solution 6.5 weeks later.
N/A

Actually, even 256Kbps is classified as broadband Shocked

I'm currently limited to 480Kbps, but I'm happy with that as at least I've not been disconnected several times per day Smiley
N/A

Yeah im down to 260kb/s waiting over 3 days for a reply to the raised issue. Its just been getting slower and slower. My upload is actually faster than my download at the moment! hehe. I can upload at 40+K a second but just cant download any quicker 30K/s.

As i said in another post theres probably loads of customers with no connections at all who will be getting the priority.

Im personally not happy im probably back burnered and probably wont have a resolution this time next month. But if not happy chuck in the towel, pay the cancellation fee and go elsewhere.
aussiegtc
Grafter

Hang in there folks!

I've been waiting about a month with similar issues with different sync speeds (anything from 500k to 3M) and an average of 400kbps transfer rate when it all seemed to working nicely at 2000kbps a few months back.

However, after many tests and a lot of updates to my tickets and the odd rant on this forum, BT are due to visit tomorrow to check the line out.

Do all the usual tests from your BT master socket, provide screenshots of connection statistics and the like and (as I've learnt) be very, very patient...

I'd also suggest that PN look at providing a more in-depth guide to MaxDSL as I'm sure the "speed training" capabilities of MaxDSL aren't understood by all. Disconnect or reboot your router too many times a day and you might just find it's interpreted as a noisy line and your speed drops off. Similarly, get a bad line during a storm and you're back to less than ideal speeds and it may not get better unless you raise it...

I'm not even sure if the MaxDSL technology allows an automatic resynch at a higher speed when conditions improve - it certainly only seems to drop you down in speed as the line gets worse...

Now - here's hoping BT do indeed find something wrong tomorrow! I'll let you know...
N/A

Thanks for the replies!

I think chucking in the towel is the way forward!

I have totally had enough. I wouldn't mind if my speed was slow but I got decent support from PlusNet, with an explaination of what the problem was & when they would get round to fixing it, instead what do we get... either a) nothing, or b) your line is brilliant and has rate adaptived itself to be as slow as possible, congratulations on choosing 8 Meg broadband!

PS: Would you also like to get your telephone from us?

oooh, er, let me think about that..... NO!!!!

I plan to wait for a reply, if it isn't to my satisafaction then I will be immediately cancelling my product.
N/A

andrewbutton: According to PN's webpages, your speed can automatically improve as your line gets better, but if your on MaxDSL, it could take 3 days of rebooting your router once a day for the exchange to "notice". On LLU however, it notices pretty much instantly.

Good luck with the BT Visit!
vic_newey
Grafter

I'm on at least my fourth drop back to 1 meg, I can only get 1.5 at the best of times but its annoying that there isn't a means of permanently selecting a given speed .

I've heard all the 'rate adaptive ' malarky but if it becomes obvious that you can't achieve higher sppeds then why suffer the sudden drop because of a couple of low synchs ? BT have messed about with my connection as I was synching at 1.9 & getting absolute top speed for 1.5. Strangely enough even when training at 2.4 I never had line drops & still don't.

Suddenly overnight it dropped to 1.6 or less ( snr 12.5) for no apparent reason. Now I am on 1 meg it synchs around 1790

It seems apparent that anyone who like me is energy conscious & turns their PC off when not in use but turns it on several times a day are likely to get repeated speed drops. When its pointed out how much energy is wasted by leaving your TV on standby then just consider your router & all the heat it gives out to get an idea of why I turn mine off
N/A

I've been getting downloads of less than 100kbits/second a lot of the time and sometimes hours of less than 100Bits/second(not kilo) averaging out at around 400k due to the times i can download at 3Mbs plus. I have an incredibly stable 8 meg sync and plus net have let raised faults time out with BT twice with no response Evil . So as of Monday I will be with a company that respond to customers Bye Bye Plusnet Cheesy
N/A

If you don't want your speed to constantly drop due to constant disconnections and reconnections then the best thing you can do is buy an external router and leave that plugged in 24/7.

Some routers draw as little as a TV on standby when they are in full power mode, so it hardly worth switching off at all, or at least switch it on in the morning and don't switch it off till you have finished using it for the day (which will give the best results all round).

Also, turning your PC off and on several times a day may save you a small amount of energy, but you pay for more in the long run, as your PC's components will not last as long. Best thing to do is just turn your monitor on/off during the day and just turn the PC off at night when you will not be using it again till the next day.
aussiegtc
Grafter

I think you'll find even with a router on 24/7 it'll resynch itself to a lower speed if the SNR drops too low. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to re-synch to the higher speeds when your line improves..

So - BT visited today. Master socket synches at around 4MB/s... extension sockets synch at around 2MB/s... appears likely there was an internal wiring problem and also major issues with MaxDSL retraining after bad weather!

Transfer rate is still stuck at 400kbps. According to the BT guy, they (1) cap it at that once a fault is raised and (2) it'll take 3 days at least for it to drop back to the full rate (around 1800kbps in my case).

Yes, I know, I could connect to the master socket and connect at double the speed - but my master socket is in the airing cupboard with the boiler and hardly ideal for connecting routers/phones and the like! I'm investigating having the socket moved somewhere more accessible, but we'll see...

I'll be happy to be back to my 2MB/s connection for now!

Interestingly, although I'm sure PN might have something to say about it - the BT engineer said that they "have to come out" if we're reporting faulty lines and we can call them out as often as required... guess the problem lies in having to go through PN to get to BT Wholesale. Not sure how true the guy's statement is, but it came straight from a BT person...
N/A

Thanks again for all the replies folks, it is interesting to learn that other people are experiencing very similar issues!

Well PN finally replied after 7 days and got BT to test the line, the result:

"BT were unable to find a speed issues on your circuit when testing"

And coincidently?, as occured the first time round, my line rate was back to something acceptible (1500 kbps, not quite its 2000 kbps best) and my speed was once again fine. It is so annoying to be told that you don't have a problem, when clearly after you complain the line rate is re-set?! Grr!

This time I left my ticket open, and lo and behold, my line rate has once again dropped to 500 kbps. Obviously I have updated my ticket with this info, I was told to respond within 5 days otherwise BT would close the fault, as PN take 7 days to reply....

Here is an update of my line rate since activation:

Weeks 1 - 4: 500 kbps (locked at 160 kbps in fact!)
Weeks 5 - 6: 2000 kbps (hoorey!)
Weeks 7 - 9: 500 kbps (grr!)
Week 10: 4 days at 1500 kbps, now back to 500 kbps

I am planning on migrating to BT, would it be better to cancel my product & reactivate or to just migrate?

I can't take much more of this nonsense!
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've updated your ticket and have reraised the fault with BT.