cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

550 relay - what's plusnet SMTP address?

N/A

Hi, I'm travelling fairley frequently, working in 3rd world countries, and trying to download emails into my outlook programme as its often a pain trying to sort through them on webmail, which is horrendously slow on non-brodband connections.

However a recurring probelm is that, whilst I can upload emails, I cant send them. The two error messages i get are either a 550 relay error, or 'A TCP/IP error occured when trying to send the data to the server. SMTP server: relay.plus.net, error number: 0x800ccc13'

Any suggestions?

Thanks
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you connecting to the relay server using a Plusnet Connection?

You can only connect to the relay server using a plusnet IP address for security reasons.

Error 550 is usually the error that happens when you are rejected from the server due to not being authorised
Community Veteran

For protection from spammers, all ISPs only allow access to their SMTP servers from an IP address of their own. e.g. I could not use Wanadoos SMTP server while connected to PlusNet and vice versa.

POP3 however is normally open to all so you can collact your emails from any connection.

In your case you need to change the SMTP server to that of the ISP you are connected to in oder to send out emails.
N/A

is there any easy way of finding out what the ISP's SMTP server is? For instance, i am currently connecting via a company's bt openworld line, but no-one I am workign with here is an IT person and therefore cannot tell me what the SMTP address is.

Often, i am workign wiht large public institutions whose network I can access but not send email, and no-one knows what I mean when I say SMTP.

So how do I find out their SMTP address? Also, is there a way of doing this when abroad workign through foreign ISPs?
N/A

If you know the ISP the location is using that you are in, go to their website and have a look for the SMTP address.....
N/A

Yep, I have done that and found the BT SMTP address but I still get the same error message re: 0x800ccc13
theharveyfamily
Grafter

You may have to use webmail

At my place of work not only do we restrict SMTP connections to IP addresses within our network ,our mail servers also only allow mail to be sent from valid e-mail addresses within our domain.
N/A

I know there are products to host your email address and offer an SMTP address which is supposedly accessible all over the world through any ISP. Such as Run Box http://2238.runbox.com/?feature=accessible.

Has anyone had experience of these?
N/A

I haven't, but looks ideal for what you need....
N/A

For protection from spammers, all ISPs only allow access to their SMTP servers from an IP address of their own.

NOT TRUE. You can generally use an SMTP server if you login securely to it, there is no need to examine the IP address of the originating machine.

Managing multiple SMTP servers in a mobile environment is just a pain in the Khyber. That is why logins were invented! All email clients have an option to use a different login for SMTP for each account.
theharveyfamily
Grafter

NOT TRUE. You can generally use an SMTP server if you login securely to it, there is no need to examine the IP address of the originating machine.

ONLY if the SMTP server has this enabled - Generally I find this NOT to be the case.

Not only do our servers NOT allow SMTP connections from outside the network. They don't allow secure SMTP connections. (via port 25, or any other port)
Community Veteran

i haven't seen one ISP that allows anyone access their SMTP to sending mail, The majority if not all ISPs only allow IPs within their range onto the SMTP
N/A

Not only do our servers NOT allow SMTP connections from outside the network. They don't allow secure SMTP connections. (via port 25, or any other port)

Exactly. That is the problem. You need to build secure authentication into them. You are only pointing out that your SMTP servers are inferior, I agree.
Here is a mail account that allows secure SMTP, if you are interested: googlemail. I get plusnet mail autoforwarded to gmail and then read gmail in Thunderbird. Works anywhere!
theharveyfamily
Grafter

I was talking about our mail servers at my place of work.

They are not inferior - they are quite capable of accepting serure authenticated connections - We choose not to.
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Here is a mail account that allows secure SMTP, if you are interested: googlemail. I get plusnet mail autoforwarded to gmail and then read gmail in Thunderbird. Works anywhere!

Not on our network (at work again) we block the ports. Cheesy