cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512k or 1Mb?

N/A

512k or 1Mb?

On BT's Availability Checker the telephone number check tells me I can get 512k (which I currently do get with PlusNet) and the postcode checker tells me I can get 1Mb.

For Telephone Number *********** on Exchange *******

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 512Kb, which is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband service.

For Postcode **** ***

Our initial test on your postcode indicates that you should be able to get Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb, which is up to 20 times faster than dial-up. At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband service. For a more accurate result please check again using your telephone number.

Is there any programs that can tell me my line stats and is there anyway of improving them?
21 REPLIES
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

You should be able to get your line stats from your modem or router. Which are you using and which make?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

512k or 1Mb?

Hi,

The phone number checker is generally a better indicator than the postcode checker because the number checker is line specific whereas the postcode can cover a fairly wide area and may not be able to take exact line length into the equation.
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

You should be able to get your line stats from your modem or router. Which are you using and which make?

BT Voyager 105 ADSL USB Modem (1.2.2.0 Drivers)
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

For line stats Voyager 105

Double click on DUN icon on taskbar, click on status, hold control down and press F1, hidden menu should now appear.

Click on DSL Link for line stats.

Smiley
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

Thanks for the info Cajef Cheesy.

Here are my line stats:

Data Rate: 576 (Rx) 288 (Tx)
Line Rate: 608 (Rx) 320 (Tx)

Local Attenuation: 57
Local SNR Margin: 11.5

Remote Attenuation: 31.5
Remote SNR Margin: 9.5

Is there anyway to improve the above stats?

Also what are the most recent drivers for the BT Voyager 105 ADSL USB Modem? I'm currently using the ones thats came on the disk that arrived with the modem which I got from PlusNet (1.2.2.0 Drivers).
Community Veteran

512k or 1Mb?

No real way to improve them other than plug directly into the master socket rather than on an extension.
57dB should be good for 1meg as the current limit set by BT is 60dB.
Community Veteran

512k or 1Mb?

But when you increase your speed, the SNR will drop.

When my speed went from 512k to 1mb, I saw a drop of around 6/7db.

So while the OP's att may be under the magic 60db figure, the SNR could drop to 6/7 or less. Which may cause connection drops.

At least that's the way I have come to understand it.
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

This mornings line stats:

Attenuation: 58.5
SNR Margin: 12.5/13

I currently have a phone line extension plugged into the master socket which is about 3 - 4 metres away from my computer. The phone line extension is about 10 metres long. 3 questions:

1. Would shortening the phone line extension improve line stats?

2. Would the quality of the phone line extension make a difference to the line stats?

3. What are the most recent drivers for the BT Voyager 105 ADSL USB Modem? (I'm currently using the ones that came on the disk that arrived with the modem which I got from PlusNet which are 1.2.2.0 Drivers).
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

i don't think you want a SNR less than 10. shortening the extension should help. yes. the best idea is to plug your modem/router in at the master socket.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

512k or 1Mb?

I don't know what the latest driver is but I would imagine it would be this one: http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb105/pcdownload.htm

Phil
Community Veteran

512k or 1Mb?

But when you increase your speed, the SNR will drop.

When my speed went from 512k to 1mb, I saw a drop of around 6/7db.

So while the OP's att may be under the magic 60db figure, the SNR could drop to 6/7 or less. Which may cause connection drops.

At least that's the way I have come to understand it.

Yes thats the worrying thing about his figures and it could well make it unstable.
However the figured gained from a modem / router are not necessarily 100% accurate and only the BT line test will reveal the truth.
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

Just the 1 question left guys:

1. Would the quality of the phone line extension make a difference to the line stats?
Community Veteran

512k or 1Mb?

Only if you are picking up the ADSL signal at the far end of the extension.
As I said earlier to get an accurate measurement then you nead to plug the Modem / Router into the Master socket and have all other devises off the system.
But again bear in mind that the figures you see are not guarenteed to be 100% accurate and only the BT test with Calibrated testing equipement will give a true figure.
N/A

512k or 1Mb?

Even after a regrade Pn do not know what they have given you receined this email today
We recently sent you an email to tell you about your free broadband speed upgrade. We have identified that the email contained inaccurate information about your new speed.
What else did I expect?