cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512k option @ £14.99 after speed upgrades

N/A

I realise I may be in a minority here (in terms of the people posting new topics anyway) - but I have been quite impressed with the service I have got and am continuing to get from PlusNet. The FUP really doesn't affect me at my usage levels and whilst I am looking forward to getting a speed increase I really can wait until July for it to take place.

That aside I am researching the options for getting my darling mother onto Broadband and looking at the £14.99 option at 512k - it looks like the right deal for her.

However just wanted to check what happens to this option after the speed upgrades come into effect? Is this option exempt from the speed upgrades and therefore the account will continue on at that cost or would it be upgraded in speed and then the cost would jump too?

If its the latter then it isn't what I'm after and I will go elsewhere, but if its the former then it could be just what I need.

++edit - corrected typo in the subject...++
6 REPLIES
N/A

It very much depends on which £14.99 service you refer to.

If you are refering to the Broadband Plus package, then yes, this is exempt from Free upgrades. This is a traditional package where you are charged based on the speed of the service you are offered.

If you refer to the PAYG package, then no, this is not exempt from free speed increases. That being said, the price doesn't change either. You are charged based on the amount of data transfered (pre-payment is at £1/GB, post-payment is charges at £1.25/GB).
N/A

OK cool thanks - I'll look at it later - but I'd probably go for the Broadband Plus.
N/A

OK Broadband plus looks like what I'll opt for - one thing though - how often does a BT Engineer have to actually visit the house - on a rough percentge thing here - thing is I've never required one but my mothers house has pretty old phone lines in and she can't take the day off from work to let them in if they need to come.

So three questions really:
1) What percentage of broadband connections need a house call?
2) If a house call was required could this be scheduled for a weekend?
3) If it couldn't be scheduled for a weekend can the order be cancelled at that stage?

I don't want to recommend for my Mum to go to Broadband and then be out of pocket so if its going to be a problem then she will stick with dial up.

Hence all the silly questions - i want to get my facts right up front.

Cheers.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

So three questions really:
1) What percentage of broadband connections need a house call?
2) If a house call was required could this be scheduled for a weekend?
3) If it couldn't be scheduled for a weekend can the order be cancelled at that stage?

Hello there, I will try and answer your questions point by point.

1) Most (pretty much all) broadband activations do not require an engineer to visit.
2) If a visit was required it would need to be between 0800-1800 Mon-Fri.
3) It is very unlikely an engineer will need to visit, this is generally only needed if the line is an ISDN line. We can cancel the order if an appointment is needed, however a cancelation charge may apply.
N/A

We can cancel the order if an appointment is needed, however a cancelation charge may apply.

Thanks for the response, any idea what the cancellation charge would be? (in worst case scenario)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It's usually in the region of £45+VAT, depending on how quickly after the order is placed the cancellation is requested.

Unless the line is an ISDN line it is very unlikely that an engineer will be required, so this shouldn't be necessary.