cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512 Upload?

N/A

512 Upload?

Hi ppl,

Just wondering if there is an ADSL/cable package which can do 512k (or more) upload?

Thanks
Steve
8 REPLIES
N/A

512 Upload?

SDSL allows for upload speeds of 512k and above. It's very expensive, limited to a few exchanges, and requires a dedicated line (i.e. no voice services). Oh, and +net don't offer it as far as I'm aware.
N/A

512 Upload?

PS. If you really want that kind of upload speed, you'd probably have a simpler time considering using two standard DSL lines, and looking for a router that can do load balancing across the two.
N/A

512 Upload?

But then you need a service provider that will provide true bonding, which PlusNet don't.

Otherwise, your load balancing will simply allow for two seperate 256Kb/s connections, and not a single 512Kb connection.
N/A

512 Upload?

Yeah, that's true to an extent, but it really depends on what you're going to be doing with the line. If you're uploading one file at a time and want to do it at 512k, you're screwed. But if you want to upload a number of smaller files simultaneously, then you'll effectively be getting an improved speed. Or am I missing something?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

512 Upload?

If you've got the appropriate hardware you should be able to bond the lines. We do have a couple of customers who use Cisco kit to bond the channels, although I'm not sure exactly how it works.
Community Veteran

512 Upload?

They won't actually be bonded (meaning both ends (ISP & router) are aware of the link between the 2 ADSL links treating it as a single pipe), the cisco will just loadbalance the traffic over the two routes.
N/A

512 Upload?

*points*

They mentioned bonding, not me!!! I just mentioned load balancing!!!!
N/A

512 Upload?

Ah point.

The WAN port ia juat a interface after all, and the assigned IP is just it's calling name.

There is nothing to stop outgoing packet originating from an unrelated IP.

It is just the downstream that can't be bonded, unless the ISP has there systems setup and capable.

Take a look around ADSL Guides forums, there are a few solutions there with regards to using a firebrick for this.