cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Quid to investihate a fault??!!

N/A

I raised a ticket as my connection keeps dropping off. Nothing changes on the routers lights or anything but I just cant connect to anything without disconnecting then reconnecting the PPP login.

So I email Plusnet and they give me lots of questions to answer AND say that if BT run a test and they consider it to be my fault, not necessarily if it actually is, just if they consider it to be, then I have to pay a 50 quid admin fee. Im not given any option as to whether this test will be run or not apparently, theyll just do it if they want!

Unsurprisingly Ive dropped the complaint and will just have to live with the periodic black outs I suppose. Im leaving anyway but this just seems like another reason to go.Is this normal behaviour?
14 REPLIES
N/A

This is not a £50 admin fee but a fee levied by BT if they come to your premises to investigate a fault and find that the fault is down to your equipment.

This will only be levied if a customer tells Plus net that they have checked such and such a thing when infact they havent.

It is more of a deterrent to ensure that the end user carries out all the checks asked of them and does not attempt to pull the wool.

If you have done all that has been asked of you then BT will not charge you.
shellsong
Grafter

It's BT that make those conditions including the charge not PlusNet so moving probably wouldn't help in this instance because another ISP would have the same story to tell :roll:
N/A

Aaagh.. Its just done it again except it would allow me to get on to google but no other site.

Look I dont mind PNet saying, look weve tried everything else and all thats left is to send a BT engineer, if youve done something wrong theyll charge you; but the email I have doesnt offer me a choice.

I suppose id have to agree to an engineer to come to my home anyway but the email doesnt make that at all clear. They shouldnt be trying to deter people from reporting faults surely!!
N/A

They shouldnt be trying to deter people from reporting faults surely!!

This has cropped up many times before and i feel it needs explaining better in the email and during the ticket raising process.

Far from trying to deterr people from reporting faults, its there to deter them from telling porkies and wasting BT and PN's time. This aspect is reasonable and understandable, but if it puts customers off from raising a fault then the wording needs looked at.
N/A

I was lucky, before I moved to PN I almost once encountered this very same issue, fortunately being the stickler for doing things properly not only was all the equipment I had been using to test I thought to eliminate all possible causes at my end and had actually noted the results of the tests which I had also presented to the engineer (appears in my case then the router had devleoped a fault, and so had the previously known working modem I tried done so during the 6 months since it had last been used)

Fortunately for me although the engineer said even though I had done everything that really could be expected of me that BT would still want to charge me, he said however that he would record the fault down as a repair to one of the line terminals so I didn't get charged.

So just hope even if you think you have done everything you can that you are not unlucky enough to be eliminating a faulty item with another, if it does happern just hope you get a nice BT engineer who would rarther tell a minor white lie than help BT screw you for doing all you can be humanly expected to do.
N/A

Yeah thats what Im worried about. Sad
N/A

Re: 50 Quid to investihate a fault??!!

I raised a ticket as my connection keeps dropping off. Nothing changes on the routers lights or anything but I just cant connect to anything without disconnecting then reconnecting the PPP login.

So I email Plusnet and they give me lots of questions to answer AND say that if BT run a test and they consider it to be my fault, not necessarily if it actually is, just if they consider it to be, then I have to pay a 50 quid admin fee. Im not given any option as to whether this test will be run or not apparently, theyll just do it if they want!

Unsurprisingly Ive dropped the complaint and will just have to live with the periodic black outs I suppose. Im leaving anyway but this just seems like another reason to go.Is this normal behaviour?

Standard charge, in that if the fault iw with your equipment you will have to pay the charge, if its with BT equipment then its free and BT only go as far as the Master socket in the premesis, further than that its your responsibility.
IanD
Grafter

I can see how both BT and the ISP would want to ensure that nobody is wasting their time (quite rightly so) but surely some recognition has to be taken of the average users skill level. Many people will be terrified of taking things apart, or would not have access to another modem or router and would be unable to verify where the fault lies. In these circumstances, where they have taken the steps they feel able to, would BT (PlusNet or whoever) still impose the charge?

pcsni seems to suggest that they may waive this if the user has made an effort - but I would be concerned that there are many who would not be able to honestly say they have carried out every step for the above reasons.

Anyone else had experiences (apart from mttjocy) where they have been waived? Would PlusNet advise on how they would deal with cases such as these?
N/A

to be honest during my time with BT i didnt come across a single occasion where a customer was asked to actually pay that fee, i think i most cases its to stop people from wasting the time of engineers. There may be the odd one or two people that had to pay it but non that I ever saw.
N/A

I did everything plusnet asked and wasn't worried about the visit. BT engineer wired me in a data socket and cleaned my line up a treat, he did a great job ( and no I don't work for BT)
N/A

but surely some recognition has to be taken of the average users skill level.

The self diagnosis procedures are very simple and involve things like checking your filters, plugging your modem or router into the master socket and answering a few questions about the nature and symtoms of the problem etc. It does not involve taking things apart or getting into things too deeply.

The help guides and instructions for the very simple tasks are there to follw.

It is, in all honesty, a very simple task or series of checks.
N/A

@psini, the problem is so many customers just don't want to or think that they should make some simple checks on their own before the BT engineer arrives, most seam to forget or don't pay enough attention to know that the ADSL service like the PSTN service are both sold as wires only.

For those who didn't know wires only basically means that BT turn the line on and are responsible for the wires right up to and I think including the master socket, after that it is totally up to you what you do with it, no equipment inside of that is any responsibility of BT. Thus why they reserve the right to charge if it is found that the service they provide is fine and the problem is really your equipment.
kitz
Rising Star

I think that what some people do not realise here is that once upon a time _all_ adls connections were fitted and sorted/serviced by BT.

However welcome to cheaper adsl and what is known as self install... in other words the DIY version.

If you want the non DIY version BT still offer this today.
The connection fee is £293.75 (compared to £47)
The BTw monthly port fee to the ISP is £20.45 (compared to £9.87).
Several years ago, there was no CBC so the port cost was even higher and you would have been looking at at least £50 for a 2Mb connection.

So adsl was too expensive and one of the ways of making it more affordable was self install - which for many is a good thing. It gives us the option of choosing and maintaining our own hardware. It makes adsl available to many that wouldnt be able to afford it otherwise.

However, when it comes to self install adsl, then one of the things that comes with this is that we have to be prepared to do some of the legwork ourselves.

As has already been stated, if the fault lies with BTw then fair enough then they will not charge. However, if the fault lies with your own equipment or something that youve done wrong at your end, then BTw have every right to charge for the callout.

Plusnet do try and make this clear, and Ive heard of tales from users of other ISP's who have been presented with at BT bill for the call out, when their ISP hasnt even advised them of this in the first place, nor run through some of the most basic checks.

I suppose its the same with any service, if you buy a new laptop for eg, and you have to send it back, one of the first things they advise you is that if the fault turns out to be software related then they will make a charge.
N/A

OK, so I sympathise with ruggedtoast - im (hopefully) just off the back of something similar. Router dropping connection, all of a sudden after years of rock solid access suddenly its going pear shaped. Im reasonably OK with messing about with my PC hardware but not network-confident because, hey, its just worked, know what I mean...

I expected the questions to be honest - but the toughest is the implication that if you havent tried new hardware you might get the BT charge. My currently open ticket strongly suggests I try new filters/hardware to satisfy BT and avoid a charge. If you have no alternative you are into a gamble - £50 for a Linksys at Dixons to try against a possible £50 BT charge. Im told my line noise/loop loss is at 43dB - on the border for a 2Mb connection so for me its a borderline thing.

To add to the confusion, googling finds me a number of posts suggesting my netgear DG824m is susceptible to dying off after connection speed upgrades cos it cant handle higher speeds. So, was it my upgrade last summer, and a slow death of my router, or a BT line thing that caused a sudden loss on 10 Feb?

Finally, for me trying new hardware (netgear DG834) has resulted in a solid connection - at least for tonight so far! Ill give it a few days and hopefully close my ticket. This probably wont help the OP, but here is my conclusion: my experience is good so far with my first ever reason to contact PN support, but how do you ever prove to BT that youve tried alternative hardware and its not your fault?