cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 gb peak dl limit.

blaze30682
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

TBH in general i am happy with plus net, the only prob i have is the 5 gb dl limit.

I am an online gamer,due to this and the dl limit, i either play my online games and do no other dlin what so ever, or i dl a little and stop playin my online games.

Even when i was on 56k and 128k isdn, i didnt have ne restriction like this!

Sure i couldnt dl as quick but i used to leave my pc on dlin for weeks on end to get my dls completed.

I understand why management has been implemented, but i disagree with the limit.
Even for light users it is easy to dl 5 gb a month between the times set as most are online between these times.

Personally i think plus net should raise the gb allowance per month for all accounts.
say 10-15 gb a month for the 14.99 package and incease it by say 10 gig per account upgrade.
42 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

The 5gb figure is just there as a guideline, rather than a hard limit, and it does just cover the peak hours.

Gaming generally doesn't use that much bandwidth, as you have the content locally and the server just needs to send you state updates in order to display what the other players are doing. The traffic management page give a guideline figure of 20mb per hour for online gaming, which if you were to just game for the month would give you about 250 hours. Though these figures aren't 100% accurate.

As for downloading, there is a different off peak usage guideline, of 50gb, in order to encourage people to download more over night when the network isn't as busy.

In the end, if people wish to use more bandwidth than this, either in total or during peak hours, they might wish to consider looking at the Premier package.
N/A

5 gb peak dl limit.

I think that Broadband Plus is competitively priced and fair value for money, although I remain of the view that slowing http speeds through individual account management was a significant change in the advertised product, and handled very poorly by Plusnet.

I do also think that in terms of its competitiveness, the gap with other isps has narrowed. I found this to be particularly true when I looked at the 1MB offerings of other isps recently-being the maximum speed that my line can cope with.
blaze30682
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

The 5gb figure is just there as a guideline, rather than a hard limit, and it does just cover the peak hours.

Gaming generally doesn't use that much bandwidth, as you have the content locally and the server just needs to send you state updates in order to display what the other players are doing. The traffic management page give a guideline figure of 20mb per hour for online gaming, which if you were to just game for the month would give you about 250 hours. Though these figures aren't 100% accurate.

As for downloading, there is a different off peak usage guideline, of 50gb, in order to encourage people to download more over night when the network isn't as busy.

In the end, if people wish to use more bandwidth than this, either in total or during peak hours, they might wish to consider looking at the Premier package.

i understand what u r sayin but i still dont think it is fair to force ppl to dl between midnight and 8 am, or face having the internet speeds slowed dramtically. i was not informed of this at all during or after i signd up and saw no notification that this was going to happen.

as i have said i have no problems with plus net other than this, i believe u are inforcing this very lower dl limit and making the peak hrs over the top(8 am to 12 midnight) to force ppl to move to the higher priced packages.

I wish i had been notified of this before i had signed up, so dose merlsback as it was her who referd me to plus net giving u a glowing reported and i to have resently had a gd friend sign up after he saw how gd plus net was.

Then all of a sudden we are forced to stop using the net for what we have done since we signd up and have to monitor and restrick what we do or we lose our connection speed.

All i ask is that plus net either lower the hrs of peak for the 14.99 account even if it was mid day to mid night those 4 xtra hrs would allow me to get a few dls done, or to increase the 5 gb to around 15 gb.

The hrs imposed at the min are at the very least diabolical! It means i have to say up till mid night to get ne dls done or i risk a slow connection which will affect my gaming.
This isnt an option as i have 4 kids, 2 of which are at school and i have to be up at 7am to get them ready for school, which means i either sleep and miss out on internet i have paid for, or i stay up and end up like the living dead.

Cant plus net see these request are reasonable, and that what they have imposed at the min is unacceptable.
JonathanW
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

i understand what u r sayin but i still dont think it is fair to force ppl to dl between midnight and 8 am, or face having the internet speeds slowed dramtically. i was not informed of this at all during or after i signd up and saw no notification that this was going to happen.

The Plus account has never been sold as suitable for large downloads, so suggesting that people do them over night, when the network isn't as busy, isn't that unreasonable. As a comparison, take a look at the basic Paygo package at £14.99, where you get 1gb of usage, total, before you have to start paying more.

as i have said i have no problems with plus net other than this, i believe u are inforcing this very lower dl limit and making the peak hrs over the top(8 am to 12 midnight) to force ppl to move to the higher priced packages.

This isn't the case at all. You just have to look at the average usage figures to see that the majority of people on Plus never get anywhere near the usage guideline, especially as that page lists usge for the whole day, rather than just peak usage.

The hrs imposed at the min are at the very least diabolical! It means i have to say up till mid night to get ne dls done or i risk a slow connection which will affect my gaming.

Even if you are going to be downloading over night, you don't have to stay up to do this. There are several programs out there that allow you to schedual downloads to start and stop at specific times.
N/A

5 gb peak dl limit.

...i believe u are inforcing this very lower dl limit and making the peak hrs over the top(8 am to 12 midnight) to force ppl to move to the higher priced packages.

Even if this were not the case, I think Plusnet are responsible for this perception, because of the manner in which they went about the changes without notice/ communicating it to their customers.

I'm within the guidelines up to now, but had I become aware of "management levels" on my account in the manner that many discovered, I think I would have been minded to migrate from Plusnet rather than upgrade, to ensure that Plusnet were not the beneficiaries of my higher expenditure.

As I discovered with my previous isp, when the customer relationship goes sour, the easiest way to resolve it is often just to migrate from it.

I only realised yesterday, that Plusnet have long-term "form" for these kind of usage arguments. In 2001, they apparently ejected 1100 users from their service- at 3 hours notice some claimed- stating that their pattern of usage was "not suitable for your needs".
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/02/01/plusnet_boots_1100_users/
(Source: The Register)
blaze30682
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

The point im trying to make is that the 8am to midnight peak time is totally over the top.

And the 5 gb is low even for a light user.

peak time imo should be between 4pm when kids get home and midnight.

this shouldnt be charged for as plus net expect u to pay more to upgrade to get this peak time.

10-15 gb during these hrs is reason able as well.

Instead of gettin ppl to join u then suddenly changing things to the extreme and not budging on the subject which will only alienate ure customers, why not meet them half way and come to a compramize.

u say 5 gb i say 15 we agree on 10, and for the peak time 8am in morning is totally over the top, why not make it mid day till midnight, so we can get some dlin done in day light hrs, then easy off the dlin in time for the peak time rush.

I dont feel im being unreasonable, u implemented these changes and i didnt recieve 1 iota of notice or a 14 day get out clause, and all im askin for is abit of flexability on these things.

There is a relationship between customer and plus net, and in every relationship there has to be give and take, not just take on plus nets behalf.
As i have gone from a unlimited account, surfing/dlin/playing games when i want, to having to always monitor what i am doing online.

*Yes u may say it wasnt an unlimited acc and it wasnt advertized as 1, all the adds i saw said unlimited, and i also know adds can be changed very easily when it suits, but this isnt the point, i could do almost what i liked online before and i was paying 14.99 , i am still paying 14.99 but everything i do now i feel like im caught between a rock and a hard place.

to dl and get my connection spd slashd, or do nothing and pay 14.99 to stare at my desktop.
blaze30682
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

is there ne chance of of a compramize and a reply from plus net?
Community Veteran

Re: 5 gb peak dl limit.

Personally i think plus net should raise the gb allowance per month for all accounts.
say 10-15 gb a month for the 14.99 package and incease it by say 10 gig per account upgrade.

This is a bit like going into the butchers and saying - I think 10 burgers for £1 is not enough - I should get 20 burgers.

Basically the system is simple - if you think you are not getting enough for your money (and plusnet have made it clear the limits will not change in the short term) then you either find another supplier who will give you more for the same money (there are not many of thoses about), or you pay more to get the ammount you want.
tcs2000
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

@Plusnet
You keep on saying that the 5gb is there as a "guideline".
This comment really doesn't help.
There needs to be a "hard and fast" figure so nobody is any doubt.
Plusnet are becoming a bit like politicians now.
Time to take those skates off, and stop the "spin" :?
blaze30682
Grafter

Re: 5 gb peak dl limit.

This is a bit like going into the butchers and saying - I think 10 burgers for £1 is not enough - I should get 20 burgers.

Basically the system is simple - if you think you are not getting enough for your money (and plusnet have made it clear the limits will not change in the short term) then you either find another supplier who will give you more for the same money (there are not many of thoses about), or you pay more to get the ammount you want.

I joind plus net paying 14.99 with no restrictions, im still paying 14.99 with a reduction in service and with no prior warning!

Personally if i could i would leave plus net now due to lack of communication and a general shody service over these points i have made.

Plus net have not even tried to offer a compramize! if it wasnt for the fact that plus net charge me over £100 to leave i would be gone already.

And before ne 1 sez the over £100 is wrong , i know it isnt, as a friend who has been with plus net a few months longer has been told if she leave she will incur these costs, even though we didnt get ne norification of these changes and didnt have our 14 days to back out of our contract !
JonathanW
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

The 5gb peak time usage guideline is quite generous. You only need to think about it for a few minutes, and compare this to the PayGo package at £14.99, where you get 1gb usage in total, to cover the full 24 hour period.

We've said elsewhere, that if you are placed on one of the management profiles then we will wave the annual contract and simply request thirty days notification and the repayment of any deferred fees.
N/A

5 gb peak dl limit.

The usage figures linked by someone there that states an average user using 3.72Gb is quite a flawed figure if someone is going to say that loads of people use less then 5Gb.

If you look it states that the top 25% are using an 12.92Gb a month.

You may defend this by saying well the top 1% is using 78Gb, but the whole bottom 10% is using just 50mb!

And if you do some maths, by adding up 31-40%, 41-50%, 51-60%, 61-70%, 71-80%, 81-90% and 91-100% and then dividing by seven you get an average of 5.25Gb.

This is 70%, so an average figure of over the 5Gb soft cap by using data from the top 70% of users.

Shocking.
shellsong
Grafter

5 gb peak dl limit.

I would be very surprised if the custumer usage figures don't follow a classic Power Law. Where scarce resources are involved the rule of thumb is 80/20-- 80% of the resources available are used by 20% of the relevant population and obviously 80% of the population only uses 20% of the available resources.
I believe that you will normally find the top 5% of the population uses 50% of the resources available. This applies in all sorts of areas of activity
PN are trying to contain a natural phenomenon Cool Wink
N/A

5 gb peak dl limit.

PN are trying to contain a natural phenomenon Cool Wink

This is the first time in my life anyones ever called me a "natural phenomenon".

I like the sound of it. :lol: