cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4mb or 8mb

N/A

4mb or 8mb

Hi does anyone on the Dagenham exhange know whether or not it had been upgraded to take 4mb or 8mb connections?

Even better does a staff member know, or is there a way to find out without getting an engineer round

thanks.
15 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

4mb or 8mb

At the moment the 4 and 8 MB products are not available. Market trials of these products are due to take place in the coming months, as yet the exchanges this will be available on have not been announced.
N/A

4mb or 8mb

Thanks mate
N/A

4mb or 8mb

How comes that you didn't even trial yet products you're already selling since June or so telling then that they'll be available around September??!
If I understood well I payed 3 months of subscription for some not available not even trialed but already marketed product...
It's not even easy to find information about the whole 4-8MB thing, I think a schedule or deployment planning is the least you can do to make information available for all the people waiting for their upgrade (and paying something like £30 more for nothing more than maybe being the first served when 8MB will eventually be available...).
Community Veteran

4mb or 8mb

Unfortunately PN are in the hands of BT here - they have to wait for official announcements from BT before they can publish any details of when these will become available. Harsh but true.

As far as the "first in the queue" statement is concerned, this really is a white elephant. If all excahnges were upgraded to accept 4mb/8mb connections and "switched on" at the same time, then yes this could be a real benefit - however this is unlikely.

It may be the case that someone continues to pay to be "first in the queue" and their exchange is not upgreded until well after others. People on those other exchanges currently paying £21.99 may upgrade to 8mb well before some poor soul on an exchange further down the upgrade schedule.

Then it depends on whether the customer will actualy be able to receive the service when it arrives. There is the very real possibility that customers could be paying for something they will NEVER receive.
Community Veteran

4mb or 8mb

PlusNet cannot publish a plan until BT do because it is BT who are controlling the trials and when it will be publicly available. BT's current guess is a general release in April 2006 but from past experience, this may still change.

As for PN selling a product that does not exist, there have been many discussions on this in the past. PN jumped the gun expecting to be able to offer the faster speeds soon after releasing them but BT changed the goal posts and extended the trials and subsequent final release and PN got bit big time.

Why they are still selling it and why they did not inform all their customers on 4 & 8Mbs products that it would be over a year before they actually got it has also been discussed to death with PN refusing to email all their users on it.
___oDiN__
Grafter

4mb or 8mb

it may have been discussed to death but plusnet are still doing at and lots of customers are in the dark as to "WHEN" 4/8mb "WILL" be offered.

meanwhile plusnet sit by and milk the money off people for a providng a product far cheaper.

unethical? you tell me
N/A

4mb or 8mb

The worst part is that now if I want to go back to the normal subscription (eg. the same connection I have right now but the normal price), I have to pay again because it's a downgrade... All that sounds more and more to me as a big joke (but a really cynical one).
I think that after 3 months of giving £39.99/month for nothing more than the £21.99/month subscription, Plusnet already took enough money from me by selling me something that doesn't exist. It doesn't seem realistic to ask me to pay again £14.99 to downgrade to a subscription I would be having if I didn't upgrade to a fake 8MB product that they promised to be ready for september and is now delayed to april 2006 or so...
N/A

4mb or 8mb

Dallow:

You can do a BT speed test on your line it is really easy and it will give you the REAL speed your linme is capable of.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

4mb or 8mb

standrewsfr - if you raise a ticket to downgrade to the up to 2MB package there will be no charge, however if you later upgrade to a faster speed there will be a charge.
ceridwen
Grafter

4mb or 8mb

As far as the "first in the queue" statement is concerned, this really is a white elephant. If all excahnges were upgraded to accept 4mb/8mb connections and "switched on" at the same time, then yes this could be a real benefit - however this is unlikely.

As I said at the time, I think PN are sitting on a ticking time bomb here. As "soon" becomes 6/12/18 months customers will start asking for their money back on the basis that this products were mis-sold as coming soon.

Also when >2Mb speeds do arrive, those on rural exchanges waiting for BT to upgrade their exchange and paying for "being first in the qeue" will start complaining and asking for their money back when they see their urban colleagues upgrade their cheaper 2Mbit packages to the faster speeds.

As any such refunds requested will be in the order of a few hundred pounds, some would view the twenty or odd pounds needed to take this to the small claims court as an acceptable risk.

Matthew
Community Veteran

4mb or 8mb

Matthew,

I would agree. Looking at the figure and just how much peoplec ould attempt to reclaim via the small claims court, the risk would be worth it. I know if I was in the position I would look to seek for this refund.

Itcertainly would look like a ticking time bomb, however, PN must have obvioulsy discussed this risk internally and decided that the appropriate get out clause is in place, or the risk of exactly how many will try it on, is worth it.

I suppose time will tell.
N/A

4mb or 8mb

standrewsfr - if you raise a ticket to downgrade to the up to 2MB package there will be no charge, however if you later upgrade to a faster speed there will be a charge.

You will save more than enough for the upgrade, should ever be available to you.

The general opinion seems to be that faster speeds if they become available will not be until sometime next year.

Save your money. Dont keep giving it to Plusnet!
N/A

4mb or 8mb

Matthew very good point ,

And the thing is it not ony residential packages either one of the buisness package is £30 +vat ontop of the £34.99 for the up to 8meg,,

thxs
forgot to put the ppackage price in.
ceridwen
Grafter

4mb or 8mb

Itcertainly would look like a ticking time bomb, however, PN must have obvioulsy discussed this risk internally

You'd like to think so - however, there have been a few decisions this year which seem to show a lack of foresight - such as promoting FUP for three months then pulling it at the 11th hour (for it only to resurface a few months later called SUP), and the new up to 4Mb and up to 8Mb packages did feel that they were rushed in after the unexpected FUP withdrawal.

Back in April PN were still saying that they expected a large proportion of their customers to be in the MaxDSL trials running from April - August, and MaxDSL being rolled out around Sept., so perhaps PN foolishly believed that by now most would be on the faster packages (or else were in discussions about acquiring or partnering a LLU provider which subsequently hasn't yet happened) and are now internally worried at how long it really will be before these speeds are really available.

Matthew