cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

489kbps download - Argh

N/A

489kbps download - Argh

Finally managed to get earlier connection problems resolved by reprogramming my router (Thanks for all help received).

I have just run a speed test and am extra worried about my speed results

Downstream = 489kbps (On third attempt)
Upstream = 242kbps (On third attempt)

Previous attempts were half as fast (rather slow)

I am PN Premier subscriber which entitles me to usually 2mbps downstream and anything up to 300kbps upstream.

Whats the hampden roar here?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

489kbps download - Argh

Hi,

Your exchange status is currently showing as red for capacity, you can check this yourself at:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

At peak times in particular this is likely going to mean you'll see reduced speeds, if you try the test off peak then I would expect to see an increase in the speed. ETA for the fix is the end of the week, so if they meet this then fingers crossed speeds will improve next week.
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

Thanks Dave. Thats an handy link you posted there.

One thing I notice though. It says that my exchange and line are suitable for up to 8000kb downloads. Why then am i restricted to 2000 as a premier customer?

Regards
Pmt01
James
Grafter

489kbps download - Argh

That's because you're currently on an old skool "fixed rate" product, rather than a rate adaptve "Max" product. If you want us to, we can place an order to have you loifted to the Max service, but the exchange contention that you are currently seeing is likely to remain as an issue.
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

I thought i was in an 'up to' 8mbps download contract.

Exchange problems aside, its surely more beneficial to me to be on a 'Max' account than the current set up. Is there any cost?

Regards
pmt01
James
Grafter

489kbps download - Argh

If you ask nicely, I'll do it now and it should complete in the morning. No additional cost.
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

that would be grand James.

Thanks a lot....

hopefully it will speed things up regardless of the exchange problems, but at least i then know when the exchange problems are resolved, I should, in theory be flying....

Thanks again.
James
Grafter

489kbps download - Argh

No worries.

I've placed the order now and it should complete early tomorrow. Popular belief suggests that it may be beneficial if you turn off your router before you go to bed tonight, and try rebooting it once a day for the ten day training period.
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

Thats great - thanks. My router gets turned off every night anyway as I am very concious about the environment implications of leaving it on.

Regards
Paul
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

James, could you check this for me as my account is still saying my download speed is 2000kbps within the control panel.

Regards
pmt01
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

Hi James,

Why can't we clone you and we could all have our own private James on hand 24/7 Cheesy

/fires off memo to Plus Towers.

My query ID: 20714231. Just replied to that saying my line is stable and that there are no real synch issues. I don't think there ever was TBH. The disconnections and timeouts all seem to point to a problem many of us had in the last week or two culminating in bad timeouts (pages not loading) early last week.

Since BT have Tango'd my line though I've lost 800kbs on download. That's a lot of kbs and everything now seems slow. Can I have that re-maxed back please since there are no apparent synch/training issues here? My stats:

Thanks for any help Smiley
N/A

489kbps download - Argh

bttt