cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4341558.stm

So glad I didn't stick with the 4Mb price.
15 REPLIES
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

At least there appears to be a set date for the upgrade, although as usual, BT will lag behind most other ISP's...
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

Woohoo!

And about time too!
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

When will Plusnet stop lying to existing & new customers with the up to 4Mb and 8Mb "coming soon" Huh?
LiamM
Grafter

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

Upto 24Mb from December:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34400

Only on easynet unbundled exchanges though Sad
Community Veteran

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

When will Plusnet stop lying to existing & new customers with the up to 4Mb and 8Mb "coming soon" Huh?

It depends upon your definition of soon and whether you are talking long term or short term for example aylesbury will soon have a new hospital - long term it will take a while to build or I ordered some CD's online they will arrive soon - short term only a matter of days. IIRC They originally said that the 4 and 8mb would be available by the end of the year be it through LLU or BT. It looks like they are going LLU to get higher speeds.
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

It is not MY definition of “soon” that is the question. How can Plusnet continue to advertise something that is coming soon (something to my knowledge they done since last June, and possibly before that), when BT announces today that a national roll will not happen before next spring.

Now it seems to me that the - "coming soon" - that is likely to be 10/12 months is stretching credibility for a consumer product, not the major civil construction project that you try to compare it with!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

I think originally BT where planning for this to be launched in August 2005, then it was November 2005, now they say Spring 2006, so it was soon (ish) originally. Then BT have moved the date a few times, and might even move it again before Spring 2006 knowing what BT are like.

Phil
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

Today Plusnet continue to deceive new customers with – 8Mb coming soon – download 5Mb in under 8 seconds!

What they are not quite so keen to point out that if you did that on peak hours you would exceed your capped allowance for that month in just over 26 hours (out of 240 peak hours in 30 days).

So the scenario goes – Yeah if we (Plusnet) could supply this speed you can only use it for 11% of the available peak hours in 30 days! But we will not tell you that up front in case you decide not to sign our cast iron contract. We will tell you eventually if you are prepared to search for the information, hopefully for us you will have already joined and it will be too late.

Really impressive!
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

@simmonds88

1. They ARE currently supplying this speed to trial'st currently and now with the extended trails more people are getting the 4 and 8mbit services.

2. They've advertised them since april this year. SO not 10/12 months. currently 6.
it is quite a long time, and i'm certainly not quite happy about how there doing business atm :/ The only benifit to these packages is the increased caps currently.
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

####][2. They've advertised them since april this year. SO not 10/12 months. currently 6.
it is quite a long time, and i'm certainly not quite happy about how there doing business atm :/ The only benifit to these packages is the increased caps currently.####

It will be 10/12 months by the time it is available nationally ( spring 2006 ), and they failed to tell people it is only available in a select trial.

Before they introduced the caps those paying the higher fees did not benefit at all!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

What they are not quite so keen to point out that if you did that on peak hours you would exceed your capped allowance for that month in just over 26 hours (out of 240 peak hours in 30 days).

What you should remember is what speeds like 8Mb are designed for and what usage you would expect. Yeah, if you maxed out your connection at 8Mbps between 4pm and midnight you'd hit 60GB of peak time usage within 4 days.

But that isn't what 8Mbps is for, that isn't what the accounts are designed for and that isn't the sort of usage many people would want from an 8Mbps account. Yeah, I'm sure there will be some who want to download 24/7 at 8Mbps, but our service is designed in such a way that unsustainable usage isn't appropriate and I suspect that when 8Mbps speeds become commonplace and other ISP's using IPStream show their hands they too will have policies of dealing with unsustainable usage patterns because the economics dicate it. Even just downloading at 8Mbps speeds for a third of the day costs an ISP over £6,000 per year in BT Central charges.
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

What you should remember is what speeds like 8Mb are designed for and what usage you would expect. Yeah, if you maxed out your connection at 8Mbps between 4pm and midnight you'd hit 60GB of peak time usage within 4 days.

I have no desire to as you call it "max out" my connection. What I do want to do is occasionally browse Easynews pages during the evening without having to wade through treacle.

Plusnet have presided over a complete shambles in the last 3 months and continue to mislead prospective customers with a limited and rosy picture of what it now offers.
N/A

4 & 8 Mb next SPRING

OK I know this idea might wind some up :twisted: but wouldnt it be "interesting" if all users who posted here had a FIXED signature that they could not remove that said how much their average download usage was over last 3 months.

I'd be fascinated to see how much of the most vocal complaining is done by those who do large amounts of Linux ISO downloading Wink Wink :twisted:

I'll confess I might come near to the "soft" cap at some stage Sad