cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd time lucky ?????

N/A

3rd time lucky ?????

I thought I would ask this question again (for the 3rd time), this time hoping for a answer.

Original question posted at 09:55 on the 11th :

My question is, what are the differences between the online stats and the raw log files within the logs directory in our accounts ?

The reason I ask is that I have noticed they seem to report different things. For example, on one particular day this week (last week now...) the online stats say a certain .htm file had been accessed 25 times, I'm pretty sure the raw log file for the very same day only shows about 3 requests for the same file.

For about 3-4 weeks now I have been using the DOS version of Webalizer to collate the raw logs files on my PC. In the .conf file I have specified the Incremental setting to "yes". When I view the results in a browser, for the month of April this particular .htm file only shows about 22 requests in total, I'm confused.... Any ideas anyone ?

Also where can I get a version of Webalizer that will work on the CGI server ? that I can automate in cron. I have tried the Webalizer web-site, but don't know which version I need.

Thanks in advance,

Dave W.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 3rd time lucky ?????

> I thought I would ask this question again (for the 3rd time), this time hoping for a answer.

Sorry about that - let's see if I can give you the answers you want Wink

> My question is, what are the differences between the online stats and the raw log files within the logs directory in our accounts ?

The online stats are basically the logfiles parsed through a graphing program. The files in your logs/ directory are the raw httpd (apache) logfiles dumped into your webspace.

> The reason I ask is that I have noticed they seem to report different things. For example, on one particular day this week (last week now...) the online stats say a certain .htm file had been accessed 25 times, I'm pretty sure the raw log file for the very same day only shows about 3 requests for the same file.

If in doubt, trust the raw logs. They are reported directly from the server and there's no margin of error as there is once they've been processed.

> For about 3-4 weeks now I have been using the DOS version of Webalizer to collate the raw logs files on my PC. In the .conf file I have specified the Incremental setting to "yes". When I view the results in a browser, for the month of April this particular .htm file only shows about 22 requests in total, I'm confused.... Any ideas anyone ?

I'm not too sure what you mean here. If you can explain for me a little more I can look into it for you. Forgive me, it's a monday morning Wink

> Also where can I get a version of Webalizer that will work on the CGI server ? that I can automate in cron. I have tried the Webalizer web-site, but don't know which version I need.

Webalizer is already installed on the CGI server, you'd just need to run it directly from a script and pipe the output where you want it.

If you need any further info you know where I am!

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Webalizer is already installed on the CGI server, you'd just need to run it directly from a script and pipe the output where you want it.
>
> If you need any further info you know where I am!
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --

Thanks Mike I do appreciate your help....

It looks like then I should take the online stats with a small pinch of salt.

I will have to look at the .conf more closely as I would to know if there are other features that I can turn on... For example, the online stats show total file types downloaded, e.g. 40 htm's 150 jpeg's and 2 ico's which I find very helpful.

I didn't know that Webalizer was installed on the CGI server. I am sure I can work out the script I need, and to put it in cron, but do you know where Webalizer resides ?

I also take it the output from Webalizer has to be on the CGI server aswell, or can it be somewhere else ?

Thanks again Mike...

Dave W.
N/A

> I will have to look at the .conf more closely as I would to know if there are other features that I can turn on... For example, the online stats show total file types downloaded, e.g. 40 htm's 150 jpeg's and 2 ico's which I find very helpful.

I've never used it myself to be honest - one of these days I'll take time out to learn it so I can give better support on it Wink

> I didn't know that Webalizer was installed on the CGI server. I am sure I can work out the script I need, and to put it in cron, but do you know where Webalizer resides ?

You can find this yourself, by typing either:

which webalizer
whereis webalizer

Or failing that,

locate webalizer

> I also take it the output from Webalizer has to be on the CGI server aswell, or can it be somewhere else ?

As far as I know you can pipe it to sendmail, like so:

/home/username/yourscript.sh | mail you@yourdomain.com

> Thanks again Mike...

No worries Smiley

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----