cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3hours 10 secs to hit your Cap?

N/A

If you happen to be on 8Mbit product then I assumed a 7.2Mbit/s throughput and played with some numbers....coming up with 189 mins to hit 10Gbytes. Is this right or am I bad with numbers?

I only ask because obviously I am thinking I will be on the 8Mb service sometime and will have to be careful what I leech.

That comes to 6mins a day of peak time downloading per monthHuh!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
11 REPLIES
N/A

2mb connection gives 241kb/sec (ish)

A 8mb connection would be roughly 4 times quicker.
Around 964kb/sec (0.94mb per sec).

Thus 10gb would take about 3 hours to use up at full pelt.
N/A

Fraser,

Do you think you will hit your cap? I ask because it seems like it's going to be easy to hit the cap
Discostoo
Grafter

go for dial up. that way you can have your connection on for weeks without hitting your targets!! Cool
N/A

Haha, nice idea. I'm sure Plusnet will list it as an upgrade to DSL soon! Cheesy
N/A

interesting thought, 10GB really is FAR too low.
N/A

Fraser,

Do you think you will hit your cap? I ask because it seems like it's going to be easy to hit the cap

Yes. Piece of cake.

Though the 10/15gb cap is only for peak time, so as long as i schedule my downloads for morning time i should be ok.
N/A

It is quite difficult changing the way you use the net, especially scheduling downloads, and having to wait overnight, and when you get back from work to get them... I cut it fine this month, until somehow when the new VMBU got added to my account, it seemed to reset my counters for the last 10 days!!!

I can see how it is annoying, although it now encourages me to download more!!!

I never used to bother with overnight downloads, or even larger files... but now with 8mb - I dont care, just stick them in a download manager, and they are usually done overnight, or before peak time!!! My bandwidth useage has almost quadrupled for this month!!! What do PN expect.. give you more speed, and tell you to schedule your downloads... with my 2mb connection, I simply wouldnt bother, or I would download at work....

10/15gb is rather awful, and increasing your package doesnt really give you that much more either, compared with the increase in price... so chaning the way you use your net connection is the only way to manage it... but I will get used to it!!
Community Veteran

I never used to bother with overnight downloads, or even larger files... but now with 8mb - I dont care, just stick them in a download manager, and they are usually done overnight, or before peak time!!! My bandwidth useage has almost quadrupled for this month!!! What do PN expect.. give you more speed, and tell you to schedule your downloads... with my 2mb connection, I simply wouldnt bother, or I would download at work....

For what it's worth, PN expect exactly what you're doing - in that they're more than happy for what you want to do during the off-peak hours, as they have plenty of spare capacity at those times. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Upgrading us all to 8mb: COOL
lowering our usage: WTF?

Result: UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS
Reply: "Not our fault"
end result: Lose customers....

all im sayin
N/A

lol classic m8
N/A

Lets check out the maths:

8 bits = 1 byte
8mbps = 1MB/s = 60MB/min
Assuming 1GB = 1024MB (which it does, but people like to cheap out on those extra 24MB)

1GB would take 17.06 minutes to download.
10GB would take 170.6 minutes to download.

8 hours of the day is "peak time".

You can burn 10GB in 35% of one single days peak time, or simply, 2 hours 50 minutes.

Assuming a month averages 30 days. Peak time totals 240 hours a month.

So, you can burn 10GB in 1.18% of the months peak time.

Want the entire month?

0.39%

Moral of the story:
1) Be careful when you download.
2) Look in wonder at the state of "broadband britain".
3) Be thankful after burning 10GB they'll just cut you off rather than charge you £1/GB
4) Appreciate that you never get full speed out of your line because of "traffic management".

Almost makes you feel sick doesnt it.