cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30-min cut off and Poppy

Barry_Doe
Grafter

30-min cut off and Poppy

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't see it. I only download just over 1 gb a month on my broadband account so quantity is not something that bothers me, but I do want to spot incoming emails all day and run 'Poppy' that searches my PlusNet inbox every few minutes to see if an email awaits. I can watch a video or read a book and a 'ping' tells me all. It's invaluable. Will the use of a simple little program like Poppy every few minutes be sufficient to keep my line open? If it terminates every 30 min on broadband that will be a pain.

Barry
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

30-min cut off and Poppy

If PN do eventually implement the 30 min idle disconnect (and there are no current plan to do so) then poppy will keep your line open.

You did not say what product you are on. The idle timeout would only apply to those on broadband plus or the old ADSL homesurf. If you are not on either then the idle timeout will never affect you.
N/A

Timeout?

I'm a new Plus Net customer just going through the line checking process etc. This discussion of a "timeout" on a broadband service puzzles me. Can someone explain please?
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

Run, Run as fast as you can lol

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed. Please dont use ALL of a preceding post as a quote.
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

igsys1 - Is there any such needs for a post like that?
As a first time poster, it's a fast track to run into trouble.

djhghl

Can you be more specific in your questions?

Apart from the brief description "idle timesouts means that if your connection is idle, then it will be disconnected", I don't think we can offer any further help without knowing more specificly what you need to know.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

30-min cut off and Poppy

This would only apply to Broadband Plus accounts and one of our older accounts (Home Surf). It hasn't been implemented yet but if we do then it would mean that if a customer on one of the these accounts leaves their connection idle (i.e. no data transfer either way) for 30 minutes then the session would be disconnected. They could reconnect immediately should they wish,
Barry_Doe
Grafter

30-min cut off and Poppy

Thanks, Peter & Dave re my original query re Poppy. I'm on the old "Broadband Lite" 1gb a month and pay £1 extra for the extra gb. But I did get an email late last month to say as from the 16th (I think) I would have a 30 min cut-off. Did I read it incorrectly or did it not apply to my account?

Barry
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

I can't say if it applies to your account - Dave T, Ben can clarify that.

The 30 minute idle timeout is not currently applied to any accounts,

It is not a 30 minute cut off c.f. 2 hour cut off on dialup.

If applied it only acts on connections which have been idle for 30 minutes.

Therefore even if it was applied setting Poppy to check for mail at an interval of less than 30 minutes would prevent the idle timeout as that would count as activity on your connection.
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

acarr, chill out, it's just a bit of fun
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

To you maybe, but unfortunatly, the many people that use the forum may not (and do not in many cases) find it funny.

It's non-constructive, doesn't help anybody and in more cases than many, only starts people moaning at each other.

AKA, basicly what is happeneing with this reply.
Community Veteran

30-min cut off and Poppy

I'm on the old "Broadband Lite" 1gb a month

The idle timeout does not apply to your account.

But I did get an email late last month to say as from the 16th (I think) I would have a 30 min cut-off. Did I read it incorrectly or did it not apply to my account?

It is an 30 minute idle timeout, not a 30 minute cut off.

The email clearly states:
- Introduction of 'idle time-outs' for Broadband Plus and ADSL Home Surf customers only.
Barry_Doe
Grafter

30-min cut off and Poppy

Thanks, Peter, but what's the difference between the old 'broadband lite' I have(which is no longer mentioned on the plusnet site so far as I can see) and 'broadband plus' which IS mentioned and seems to match the account I have for price and conditions? I thought perhaps 'plus' was merely a renaming of the 'lite' account.

Barry
N/A

30-min cut off and Poppy

I think Broadband Lite's closet equivalent is Broadband PAYG as both you pay by the Gb.
Community Veteran

30-min cut off and Poppy

broadband PAYG is the new name for broadband lite. They are one and the same product and nothing to do with broadband plus.