cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 days notice = 53 days...

N/A

...when you live in Plusnet world.

I urge anyone thinking of leaving Plusnet, and there seems to be a lot of you, then make sure you give the notice just before your billing date. The reason for this? Basically if you give notice so that you want to quit and that notice period ends the day after your payment's due, you could be looking at a 59 day notice period, far from the 30 day period they claim. To get close to the 30 days you need to give the notice the day before your normal billing date.

I've actually been one of the happy customers and have been surprised with the abuse they've been getting. I've even recommended Plus net to other people. Not any more. For various reasons, I'm moving house and ISP, so I gave my 30 days notice last night, only to be told that I have to pay right up to 10th January 2006. The reason: the t&c say that if a payment falls within the notice period, I have to make the full payment, even if that payment partly covers a period I don't want. I'm sure Plusnet's lawyers have checked the t&c over, but I'm sure as hell going to take my own legal advice to see whether this constitutes an 'unfair' term in the contract. If it comes to it, I'll have to consider how I can prevent the full payment being made at all...

I now have to rectify the situation regarding my recommendations and am going to make very sure I visit, at the very least, those forums where I've said nice things about Plusnet, so that they understand just how petty and money-grabbing Plusnet are. For the sake of, what about £15, they've really disgusted a previously loyal customer to the extent that I am going to shout from the rooftops about my experience so that as many people as possible are put off signing up to this lot.
13 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Any billing payment that is taken during the 30 days will be refunded pro-rata for days that you pay that are outside the notice period.

So you can request a refund for days outside the 30 days notice.
ceridwen
Grafter

This has been discussed at length before.

The T&Cs do say

"If you give us notice, you must pay us the Charges that would have been due within the notice period"

But the also say

"This Agreement can be ended by us giving one month's notice to you"

and

"If you have paid any Charges for a period after the end of the Agreement we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us"

So if you explicitly give a date you wish the Agreement to end (a date at least 30 days after you notify PN), then by their own T&C's PN should refund any money paid for service after that date.

I say should has PN has sometime denied this in the past and sometimes allowed this (i.e. are somewhat inconsistent), and you may have to stand your ground. In any case, PN wo'n't volunteer this information, and also wo'n't actually give a refund unless you ask for it explicitly.

Regardless of the right or wrongs of this it is one of the examples of extremely bad public relations practice that PN has adopted (the other is holding people to 12 months contracts when they wish to leave when a change in the service results in the service no longer meeting their needs). For the sake of a few extra pence out of leaving customers, the leaving customer is now unlikely to consider returning to PN ever (even though PN may in the future offer packages which would meet the customers future need), is unlikely to recommend PN to others (indeed the opposite), and will often create bad publicity on the forums.

PN only need to look at the charts on ADSL Guide to see how these antics are denting their reputation.

Matthew
JonathanW
Grafter

What Liam says is the case when it comes to migrations, as you're moving the connection elsewhere rather than having the service ceased. For full cancelations we give you service for the full period for which you've paid.
ceridwen
Grafter

So despite the fact that the customer explicitly states that they wish the Agreement (and service) to end on a specific date, and has given the required 30 days notice of that date as required by the T&Cs - you still continue to provide a service after that date, and expect the customer to pay for that service?

Matthew
JonathanW
Grafter

We can, at the request of the customer remove the service from the line before the end of the account, but the fee is still payable in full.
ceridwen
Grafter

But your own T&C's clearly state "If you have paid any Charges for a period after the end of the Agreement we will either repay it or put it towards any money you owe us"

So if the customer has stated when they wish the agreement will end, and given the required 30 days notice of that date - you will refund any moneys previously paid for services beyond that date?

Matthew
LiamM
Grafter

I agree, if the customer wants the line terminated at the 30 day notice day... then a refund should be forthcoming for time outside of this.
N/A

Thanks for the responses. I've actually dug into the t&c and found those particular terms. Pointing them out doesn't seem to have made any difference. Also, in response to an earlier post, I don't see why there's a difference between the migrations and cancellations. In both cases you don't want the service from Plusnet. In fact, the BT line's going to be disconnected when I move, so they can't provide the service in any case.

The best bit about this is that at first, they'd told me they'd refund me the part month that I'd not asked for and only later did someone come along and say, no, that's wrong, you're not getting any refund, we're going to provide you with a service you don't want (and can't use).

The point about the bad PR is a good one. I've been with Plusnet for years and I've always been very complimentary about the service I've received when people have asked me for recommendations. There would have been no reason for me to stop recommending Plusnet in the future had PN played fair and just given me a pro-rated refund, but now I'm going to made very sure I tell people to steer well clear.
ceridwen
Grafter

Stand your ground and insist on the refund - seek advise from trading standards if necessary

There is no distinction between cancellation and migration in the T&Cs moreover the T&Cs say that you can cancel at {b]any time given 30 days notice not that you can cancel on any billing date given 30 days prior notice.

Matthew
N/A

Thanks, I stood my ground and quoted the T&C back to them and, perhaps related to shift patterns, got someone else responding to the ticket who applied common sense so that I'm only going to be charged for the 30 days of my notice.

Credit to PlusNet for seeing sense in the end but I'm a bit miffed I had to go through so much hassle in the first place.
ceridwen
Grafter

Unfortunately for PN, so are a lot of other migrators - migrators who might otherwise and recommended PN to others (whose usage fitted with PNs current policies) or whom might have returned to PN depending on how its future products compare with their needs and competitors future products; but who probably now wo'n't touch PN again with a bargepole.

This has been pointed out to PN time and time again, but they don't seem to care (at least not enough to actually do anything about it).

Matthew
Community Veteran

Have a look at this

The OP of that thread moved over to telewest and hence needed to cancel (not migrate) their PN connection, at first PN refused the refund for the reasons given in this thread, but 13 pages later they gave in and the OP got a refund...
ceridwen
Grafter

Exactly - whereas some other ISPs give a refund for any time after the 30 day notice (often as a pleasant surprise to the migrater, with the result that they may come back to the ISP when their packages change as they inevitably will change), at best with PN you have to remember to ask for your refund (else PN will quietly pocket the extra money), and in some cases be prepared to argue for it.

As the thread in question was from September and it is now November and nothing has changed, one can only assume that PN are quite happy with the manner they treat leaving customers.

Matthew