cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 MONTHS of grief

rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

I have had constant disconnects,Slow speeds for three months now and counting,Yet PN still take the 29.99 per mth fee for my upto 8mb premier account.I have raised more tickets than I care to remember only to wait weeks for a response which is of no help at all,Im now told that Interleaving is on my line to try and stablise my connection,which is still dropping every five mins,I am getting Bt speed test results of 1.44 mb when I am paying for up to 8 mb,Surely I shouldn`t have to put up with this? I wonder if any other Plusnet members that are experiancing the same problems know of any legal bodies I can report Plusnet to?
I have been with PN for years and was happy up to 1 and half year ago,I thought I would bear with them and hope that they would get back to being a good reliable service like they were before..I have come to the conclusion that that is not going to happen.I would have pulled my hair out if I had any and I a 36 years old man have even shed tears of frustration with the bollock I am having with this,My blood pressure is through the roof.
ALl I am asking is for a reliable stable quick service,For 29.99 a month that shouldnt be too much to ask should it?
142 REPLIES
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

Unfortunately, if 1.44Mb is the fastest your line can support, then thats the fastest your line can support (as you know, up to 8Mbs does not mean 8Mbs, it means the best your line can support.)
BTW set limits for acceptable connections, and if they decide your connection speed is acceptable, theres not much that can be done about it.
As far as the constant disconnects go, there certainly should be something that can be done about it, the problem is diagnosing where the fault lies. I presume that PN have walked you though the fault finding steps in the exchanges of tickets you mention?
If they have, and its effectively ruled out any issues caused by equipment under your control, the issue should be raised by them to BTW to get your line checked.
Could you briefly outline the steps you have taken thus far?
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

The problem is that I was upto a month ago getting a speed of between 5 and 6 mps so obviously my line can support higher speeds,I have 2 neighbours in the same block of flats and same exchange who are with other ISP`s getting 4 mps and 6 mps. I think the only option is to leave PN and go with a better ISP but I hear that PN make it hard to leave them ie they hold mac keys back etc.I dont even know what a mac key is but apparently it is crucial to have one.Anyone tell me what a mac key is and what it is for?
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

I have tried everything ,I am on my 3 rd router now a dg834 Netgear, 8th filter etc etc, The problem apparently lies with LLU customers and is a widespread problem according to the telephone status line.
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

MAC = Migration Authorisation Code and facilitates the transfer of your current adsl service from one provider to another.

However. As you are a LLU customer, this adds another dimension. Not all ISP's support the migration process where llu is involved.

PN will not hold back a mac unless the end user owes them money or has outstanding payments due. If you have no contractural obligations then you will get your mac without problem.

Having said that, it will probably be less hassle to let PlusNet work through your problem and get it fixed. If you are having problems with your connection as a result of moving to LLU, then they will work with you to effect a resolution.

In your case it will likely be less hassle to take that route rather than switch provider.
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

PN won't make it difficult for anybody to leave - if thats what you want to do, simply go to the help section, and raise a question requesting the issue of your MAC code. (MAC codes basically identify your connection, and give permission for another ISP to take it over and supply ADSL to you)
Downside: With a new ISP, your ADSL will be provided down the same line you have now, using the same kit in the exchange (assuming you are not on an LLU product) so if your line is faulty with PN, it will be faulty with another ISP.
Upside: A new ISP may manage to get BTW to fix your issue faster than PN are managing it.

Other people living nearby, even in the same building, is a bit of a red herring when it comes to determining speed etc. Although as a guide its not massively far out, your line would have to be providing much slower speeds than you are acheiving now for BTW to consider replacing your line.

The best bet is to get the intermittant disconnects sorted (by BTW via PN), once they are fixed, PN will be able to provide an ADSL service which is as fast as any other ISP.

Again, all of this assumes you are not on an LLU service, if you are, moving to another ISP becomes more complicated, because LLU MAC codes are still in trial, and only a limited number of ISP's can process them.
Certainly there have been recent issues with LLU disconnects, so its possible you are being affected by this, rather than an issue with your line.

Clear as mud huh?

Do you know if you have been moved to the LLU Platform? You should have received an eMail saying you had been moved to an alternative supplier, although not everybody received them.
The clearest way to tell is by checking the Upstream sync rate on your router/modem.
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

Im pretty sure I am on LLU it would probaly explain why I am having all the disconnects.

ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

Someone correct me if im wrong, but looking at your upstream connection speed , it look like your on MaxDSL
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

I'm on LLU. Had slow reconnections and random disconnects. I have a DG834GT Modem. After upgrading the firmware from the default 4.0.1.02.00 my problems were aleviated. I recommend you try this. It might help.
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

I'm on LLU. Had slow reconnections and random disconnects. I have a DG834GT Modem. After upgrading the firmware from the default 4.0.1.02.00 my problems were aleviated. I recommend you try this. It might help.

Thankyou,Where did you get the update, I wasn`t aware there was a later fimware version of the one I have?
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

have found it gonna upgrade now.Will let u know if it helps with my problems.
Thanks again.

Modem
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

Any luck unclebobby?
rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

Fraid not mate, I have been getting disconnects about every 3 to 5 minutes I feel like throwing my pc out of the window as its useless without the internet.I tried to upgrade my firmware but dont think it worked?
Account Name
Firmware Version V3.01.25

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 2496 kbps
VPI 0
VCI

but judging by the ADSL firmware version it hasn`t ?

rob1969
Grafter

3 MONTHS of grief

Just noticed the change in upstream/downstream speed from earlier.Anyone have any idea why?
I tried ringing the premium rate line but was on hold for 1 hr 13 mins before giving up..So...... At 50p per min is that abpot 30 quid I have blown? Along with the months of paying 29.99 a month for a diabolical service,PN must be rubbing there hands.
N/A

3 MONTHS of grief

As for the premium rate line...afaik they dont charge you until its actualy picked up..

And im still not convinced you'r on LLU.....the upstream rate of 448 indicates to me that its MaxDSL

Unfortunatly im not an expert. i just wish one of the people who would be able to tell you these things for FACT would do so.

Come on PN...give the guy a hint at least

You have my sympathy sir.