cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2wire routers

Community Veteran

2wire routers

I have been assisting my cousin, to set up s vpn.

All is working fine when he uses a USB modem at the client end, but when he tries to use a new 2wire router, it blocks the out going vpn connection. (in fact it allows it to authenticate, but not pass any data.)

Is there anyone with any experience of these that may be able to point him in the right direction.

Chilly
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

2wire routers

Chilly,

Has your cousin tried initially putting the machine's LAN IP into the DMZ of the router and trying that?

What router is it just out of devilment mate? I don't pretend to know everything, but I might be able to come up with something.

Cheers.

Roger.
Community Veteran

2wire routers

LAN IP, DMZ :shock: The problem is I need to put this into language that my cousin will understand.

And this router does not support remote administration, Doh!

It does strike me that its the firewall which is causing the problem, but from what he has said I not do understand how to configure it.

Chilly
dgp
Grafter

2wire routers

My Linksys wired router has the option to disable VPN pass throughs. Perhaps your cousins have something similar. I use VPN and do not have to use the DMZ and I have my firewall enabled. But I would have thought you are going to struggle without the name of the router and even then you might need the CD with manual on, not all routers have good on-line support.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

2wire routers

The model of the router is a 2Wire 1800 (or it may be 1801, they're both the same when it comes to configuring them).

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

2wire routers

I use a 2700HGV router which is a later version of the 1800HG and runs similar ( or even possibly the same ) firmware. I run a VPN client connection to my office with no problem. I aggree with 'pearcefamily' you should not have to do anthing with DMZ. Since you say it authenticates but doesnt transfer data , what might be the problem is a clash between YOUR private network address and the other end of the VPN.

To explain:-
When using a router rather than a USB modem your PC is allocated a private network address by the router ( usually something in the 192.168.0.x range), rather than your internet address which is used only by the router. If the other end of the VPN is also behind a router it also can be using a private address range which is the same. When you run the VPN client it will try to add a route to the destination network and will get confused if they are in the same subnet range.

Solution:-
Change your routers network address range to something different to that of the destination network. For instance if the destination uses 192.168.0.x then set your router to 192.168.1.x. You will also need to change the DHCP addresses allocated by the router to be in the same subnet range.

I hope that helps.
Community Veteran

2wire routers

Doh!

Chilly sulks to the back of the class, with his head hanging low.

I bet you are right about both networks being on the same sub net.
I had not given that a thought.

Chilly
dgp
Grafter

2wire routers

Chillypenguin - If its not cured by changing the network address, you can download the manual here http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2Wire_1000_User_Guide.pdf.
Page 49 mentions problems with some VPN setups and tells you how to fix them.

Hope this is useful
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

2wire routers

ChillyPenguin,

If you are not familiar with the 1800HG and need a hand to configure the Network Addresses send me a PM and I'll get you a screen dump of the relevant configuration screen from my 2700HGV router.