cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2meg yoyo syndrone

N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Im pulling together a few threads here as i notice a reoccuring pattern...

New regraded 2mb line speed behaving like a slug
connection not reliable
A point to note on Q jumping upgrades

I too have noticed VARY variable speeds on my connection. As per:

11-04-2005 22:02:07 --- 1880.6
11-04-2005 21:54:42 --- 1023.8
11-04-2005 21:45:53 --- 1645
11-04-2005 21:43:09 --- 245.8
11-04-2005 21:34:26 --- 231.1
11-04-2005 20:35:43 --- 1787.3
11-04-2005 20:25:20 --- 1371.3
11-04-2005 19:27:08 --- 1691.7
11-04-2005 18:38:13 --- 351.7

As you can see I first noticed a problem at 18:38 at which point I called CS and asked them to resolve the throtteling issue at PN's end which they duly did, and i temporarily enjoyed decent speeds (although not good enough for a 2mg line). Then it decided to be unusable for 15 minutes, then crept back up, back down, back up, etc...

From reading the 3 linked threads im not entirely sure what the issue is, so perhaps someone from PN can clarify what this problem is and what they are going to do about it, as im evidently not alone.

Many thanks

Aaron
50 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

2meg yoyo syndrone

Hi Aaron

The advice from Ben or Bob earlier in the week was to try 3 BT Speedtest's with some gap between them - which will let you know whether its the throttling thats the problem or not. Information on the BT Speedtest is available at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Since there are so many of these I shall post my guide to beating the throttler (located in http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26798&start=30)in a new thread, hopefully more people can see the problem and fix it.
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

hmmm thats all very well xinjie, but i cant help thinking that your method is a bit "bodge-it and see". Frankly we shouldnt have to mess about and reconnect 3 times in a row standing on one foot facing the west whilst chanting "the smarter way to broadband!".... It should just work!

If there is a genuine reoccuring problem affecting many users (which it certainly looks like there is) then PN should do something about it.

Anyway last 3 speed tests looking good:

11-04-2005 22:42:05 --- 1857.4
11-04-2005 22:16:09 --- 1888.1
11-04-2005 22:02:07 --- 1880.6

Fingers crossed... Cheesy
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Sorry, but I am no Plusnet worker or forum moderator. Its about all I can to to help others in need. I did state it was more of a cowboy(temporary) solution rather a real fix.
Just trying to help Shockedops:

PS:
standing on one foot facing the west whilst chanting "the smarter way to broadband!

Maybe i will try that Smiley
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

interestingly enough I ahve posted in various places regarding my lack of speed since my so called upgrade and it has now been refered to BT. Having read here I did notice that when I was first upgraded speeds were ok. The upgrade was eventually all sorted out by Bob on 7th.
Guess what? On 8th everything went beserk with yoyo speeds.
My exchange is green for ports and amber for VP although the work was scheduled for the end of march.
Wit so many experienceing difficulties after their upgrade I cant believe that all the individual lines/exchanges are the problem. Its too much of a coincidence. I believe there is something more going on here.
anyone got an opinion?
BTW Bod is really trying to be helpful so give credit where it is due.
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Just trying to help Shockedops:

No worries mate, i wasnt scoffing at your method - my point is we as paying customers shouldnt have to fiddle about and hope for the best. It should just work.

Anyway I have full faith in the boys and girls at PN to sort this out.
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Is my method helping anyway or am I spouting bullcrap that only applies to me?
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

hmmm thats all very well xinjie, but i cant help thinking that your method is a bit "bodge-it and see". Frankly we shouldnt have to mess about and reconnect 3 times in a row standing on one foot facing the west whilst chanting "the smarter way to broadband!".... It should just work!

Will have to remember that when i have any problems Tongue
Alecto
Grafter

2meg yoyo syndrone

Wit so many experiencing difficulties after their upgrade I cant believe that all the individual lines/exchanges are the problem. Its too much of a coincidence. I believe there is something more going on here.
anyone got an opinion?

There's certainly some strange stuff going on, but Pn are just treating each individual case as though they are not related.
Perhaps they aren't, but I'd have thought it would be worthwhile someone technically competent looking at all the signs and symptoms to see if they indicate something more general.

I wonder, when BT do an upgrade, is it a quick ten minutes and it's all over, or do they keep coming back and twiddling with things without saying anything to the customer? It's odd that lines work initially, then go off, or - as in my case - the other way round where for about 8 or 9 hours after the upgrade, SNR and attenuation were all over the place, then it settled down and has been wonderful ever since. :roll:
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

My speed seems to have remained fairly constant at around 1950'ish kbps, since plusnet refreshed my connection.

Personally, based upon doing a good half dozen or so BT speedtests at varying times of the day, my take is that the problem resides at the plusnet end, as the BT speedtest results were consistently in 1900's, whilst i was getting <960 on plusnet and adslguide speedtesters.

This isn't the whole answer, i reckon that there's some problem at the plusnet end which isn't entirely being helped by the fact that there will be some folk who's slow speeds are due to other factors (eg. contention at their exchange).
hitachi
Grafter

2meg yoyo syndrone

After my regrade I found 1 gateway gave me 1900 the rest gave me 960 so I would guess I was throttled on 3 gateways but for some reason not on the other.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

2meg yoyo syndrone

@fletchdsl

Do you know what gateways these were out of interest? I think some of these issues can be put down to the problems with PTH-AG2 over the last few days. I have had no other reoprts of speeds being dependent on the gateway you are connected on.

For those with sync loss issues, I would like to take the opportunity to remind everybody that their line is more susceptable to problems at the higher speeds. Line noise that may not have affected a 1MB connection can quite easily render a 2MB connection useless.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

Bob tell me what gateway is pth-ag2. And no i am not just getting bad speeds from just one gateway. These are my collected results on gateways so far:

Telehouse East, Redback 2" gateway - bad 512k throttle, below 500kbps speeds
Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. – bad 512k throttle, below 500kbps speeds
Telehouse East, Juniper 3" gateway. – 1mb throttle, below 1400 kbps speeds, however, it is usable
Telehouse North, Juniper 1" gateway – bad 512k throttle, below 500 kbps speeds
N/A

2meg yoyo syndrone

For those with sync loss issues, I would like to take the opportunity to remind everybody that their line is more susceptable to problems at the higher speeds. Line noise that may not have affected a 1MB connection can quite easily render a 2MB connection useless.

So what happens to the poor wee souls who stump up to queue jump or to upgrade? Do they get their money back if they have to downgrade in order to get back to a consistent and reliable connection? Does BT not carry out any checks on the line before plugging a new 2MB customer in? Or is this all at the customers' own risk?

Simon