cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb upgrade.. again...

N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Er when is this supposed to be done?? I know my local exchange has been upgraded as my mate has been done. The BT checker says that 2mb is possible on my line.

:roll:

BT... pull your finger out please!!!
29 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

2mb upgrade.. again...

We're expecting this to complete this month, with a mop up order in November for anyone we've missed.
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

hmmmm... okay.

I shall post or bump this thread in a months time then! :roll:
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

:lol: i thought it was only me still waiting for the 2 meg line... its good to see im not....

are we still waiting for BT or is this down to plus net now....Huh my upgrade was set for Aug & im still waiting of it.....

my exchange is Barnsley, just up the road from plus net & im going to be the last to get the upgrade, Sad :x just my luck....
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Well i used to be with pipex and just after i mig to here, my mate who is still on pipex got his upgrade! Typical eh! Anyway, its all down to BT if you were on the initial order for the upgrade otherwise we are waiting for plusnet to put the order in again!
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Well did you complete this month or have there been more delays? When can we expect the mop up to start?
N/A

2MB Upgrades

Is it possible for PlusNet to email ALL their customers who do not have yet 2MB and explain why.

Not too difficult a task, and it would show that PlusNet actually cared about their customers!

As it is, I was told that my exchange (Almondsbury) would be upgraded in April and, according to SamKnows, it was upgraded in August; but still I don't have 2M!

Thanks

Simon
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

I'm the same here, was supposed to be April and still on only 1MB. Come on +net, get your finger out and do something about it.
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Same here, I guess that November mop-up is going to a huge order. Some info for all still on 1 meg would be helpful
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Anybody from PlusNet dare to comment on this at all?

How i long for a 2mb connection, and i know i can have one because BT's checker say i can! HELLO!!!!! IS THERE ANYONE OUT THEREHuh
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Ben has already commented further up the thread.

Those that were missed by BT previously should be sorted during the November mop up. I would imagine that as previously, Plus Net will not be able to give specific dates as this will be down to BT getting round to individual exchanges and cards.
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Yeah, but if you read the second question i put in when i bumped this thread you would have seen that i was asking if they had finished the original upgrades or if they were still happening as we are now in November and they are supposed to be finished. All i wanted was an update?!
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

I've just been reminded that although the work is complete at my local exchange, it it possible that my line can't support 2Mb. I've read the technobabble at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12 and have no idea if I'm within the necessary limits.

Can anybody tell me if this info points to being able to get a 2Mb connection?

(Figures are downstream first, upstream second)
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 25.0 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 30.3 db 29.0 db

Why don't ISPs like PlusNet get these figures checked before selling you a product that could be unobtainable from your line? It seems very wrong that PN can sell me an 'up to 2Mb' product if I can't get better than 1Mb.
Alecto
Grafter

2mb upgrade.. again...

@rocksoft
Downstream figures are the ones that count as that is where the 2Mb applies.

Your downstream attenuation is well under the 43dB limit for 2Mb, and you SNR (noise margin) is well above the problem threshold of 10dB so you should have no problem.
However, nothing is guaranteed till BT actually set the line up at that speed and there have been occasional instances where lines with figures good for 2Mb have been given only 1Mb for reasons known only to BT.
That's why Pn can't guarantee you a figure - it's not up to them and if BT say you will only get 1Mb, then that is what you will get.
N/A

2mb upgrade.. again...

Thanks for that. I actually found another ISP that (based on postcode) states that I am within the 2Mb area but I appreciate what you're saying about BT and it's strange reasoning.

But I'll say it again - shouldn't PN get confirmation that a customer can get a particular connection before selling a product? Ok, in my case the product is 'up to 2Mb' so I can't really complain but what does the future hold? 4Mb? 8Mb? More?

I wouldn't be happy paying for up to 4Mb or 8Mb only to be told I can only receive 1Mb but I will pay the same as someone who can get the maximum connection.

Leaving PN out of it for a moment - this great country of ours seems so backward. We hear tales of other countries already using 8Mb and faster connections and yet we have FAQs telling us you need to live next door to the exchange to get a fast connection. Do these other countries give each household their own exchange or are we just being held back by antiquated wiring systems?

Edited to correct lousy spelling Smiley