cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb, neighbours have 8mb.

N/A

Neighbours on the same exchange using the same plus net package are showing a 8mb connection whereas I am still on 2mb according to speedtests and the connection settings tab on the plus net site. I need to ascertain if the problem is my router or plusnet

Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Can someone from plusnet confirm where the above figure on the plus net website comes from?

thank you
15 REPLIES
James
Grafter

There's a really good reason for this. You're not on a Max product.

However, if you goto http://max.plus.net and raise a ticket asking to be upgraded, I'll ensure it gets done for you.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

There's a really good reason for this. You're not on a Max product.

hehe,

yup, thats reason enought James..

:lol:
N/A

Well, I've just checked the portal, and been informed that my speed is 2K. And here's me just putting the slowness down to the PlusNet servers crawling along.

Below is an extract from a support message. Note the date. Note also that at this time, my I was disconnecting (probably because of a fault in the DNS handling of my Actiontec gateway) about once a day.

My gateway reports an 8 meg connection.

Your comment 8:06pm, Wednesday 6th September 2006

[Support Wizard Journey]
[Report an error in your broadband usage]
Broadband Usage Error Report
[Additional Information]
Question 1 Where\'s my 8 megs? I\'ve seen cheerful announcements that \"8Mb Available Now!!!\" for literally months now. Where\'s mine? Or are your existing customers put on the end of the queue?

Question 2, For about a month now, possibly longer, I have had to restart my adsl gateway about once a day in order to re-establish my connection. Before that, the connection seemed to be maintained pretty much indefinitely. What\'s going on?

Ta
link:CSA Removed CSC Analyst 1:51am, Thursday 7th September 2006

Dear Mr West,
The AMx order will complete tomorrow for you 1-E8J7AZ as for the disconnections once a day. this could be anything but not really a problem. When you loose the connection do you also loose the sync on your router? Why does the router not reconnect?

Regards,
link:CSA removed

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed CS Agents name, posting these is not permitted. : link:rules
N/A

2000 Kbps, not 2 Kbbs
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The order did complete, and I have made some changes in our system to make sure you get the speeds available on your line.

Please disconnect and reconnect and let me know if things improve. Smiley
mcguinness58
Grafter

Server2 I had the exact same problem and it turned out that I wasn't on the MAXdsl. It was sorted out by James from Plusnet team straight away which I was happy with. Apparently there was an email sent out last year about max upgrades being opt in. I never received such email and a lot of customers on here seem to be asking about why they are only getting 2MB speeds when they should be able to get upto 8MB surely this means that not all plusnet customers got any notification of the opt in service?
N/A

Now 8K kpbs.

Thanks.

Something is broken in the procedures.
Mand
Grafter

Server2 I had the exact same problem and it turned out that I wasn't on the MAXdsl. It was sorted out by James from Plusnet team straight away which I was happy with. Apparently there was an email sent out last year about max upgrades being opt in. I never received such email and a lot of customers on here seem to be asking about why they are only getting 2MB speeds when they should be able to get upto 8MB surely this means that not all plusnet customers got any notification of the opt in service?

Hi there,

The information was emailed to all customers in the Newsletter last year, as posted above.
mcguinness58
Grafter

I still do not believe this is true. If i got an email with the option to opt in for an 8MB service I would have done it there and then. Can you explain why there are a lot of customers on here who are still asking why they aren't getting 8MB speeds but for example another plusnet customer they know who lives round the corner is? I keep on about it because I was going for a few month with a fixed line product of 2MB when infact I could receive upto 8MB. In my opinion Plusnet are not doing enough for customers to know that the the MAXDsl is now an opt in service. Maybe because it costs Plusnet more if everyone was on 8MB as more bandwidth would be used so they thought they'd keep it under the hat and leave people who do not realise in the dark.

Rant over
James
Grafter

Possibly because that people didn't read their emails?

It's not a conspiracy theory!!
mcguinness58
Grafter

Well it is Plusnet after all I wouldn't be surprised.
Mand
Grafter

I still do not believe this is true. If i got an email with the option to opt in for an 8MB service I would have done it there and then. Can you explain why there are a lot of customers on here who are still asking why they aren't getting 8MB speeds but for example another plusnet customer they know who lives round the corner is? I keep on about it because I was going for a few month with a fixed line product of 2MB when infact I could receive upto 8MB. In my opinion Plusnet are not doing enough for customers to know that the the MAXDsl is now an opt in service. Maybe because it costs Plusnet more if everyone was on 8MB as more bandwidth would be used so they thought they'd keep it under the hat and leave people who do not realise in the dark.

Rant over

Giving customers 8MB won't mean we use more bandwidth per month, it just means some people will use their allowance a bit quicker!

Seriously, we were going to upgrade everyone automatically, but lots of people who had stable fixed rate connections and went to unstable max connections complained. That combined with the unexpectedly high fault rate meant that we switched to opt-in only. This was emailed to customers in the newsletter, and has been discussed on this and other forums countless times.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone no matter what you do. Smiley
jnwright
Grafter

I have just looked back on emails sent to my postmaster account referencing the ADSL Max upgrade. I think that I was well informed by Plusnet.

First mention of the upgrade was in Issue 3 of Plus - The PlusNet newsletter, received 17 March 2006.
An e-mail was sent to me by Plusnet - Important news about your broadband, received 21st April 2006.
An update was found in Issue 4 of Plus - The PlusNet newsletter, received 12 June 2006.
Another e-mail - Free speed upgrades up to 8Mb, received 26 June 2006.
Another update was in Issue 5 of Plus - The PlusNet newsletter, received 11 September 2006.

Finally, after I could see that the initial problems with upgrading were subsiding, on 6th October 2006, I took up the Plusnet ADSL Max offer. This was completed successfully on 16th October 2006.

Should one of these e-mails have gone AWOL, I think I would have known something was going on!
N/A

Thanks for the replies. No idea you had to ask for a free upgrade :/

I am concerned about the stability issue i have read about but have taken the risk and submited the upgrade request.

James - I would be grateful if you could check this has gone through.

I have real speed problems with my Plusnet connection between the hours of 4pm and midnight, usenet being the worse, I am hoping this upgrade might reset me/improve things. I will post back as to how things are going.

Thanks again for the info.