cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb line limits for new customer

N/A

Hi,

We've just had our ADSL line activated and unfortunately its been done at 1Mb Sad

These are the figures from the supplied Voyager modem -

Local Tx Power: 11.75 dB
Remote Tx Power: 15.92 dB
Local Line Atten.: 37.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 23.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 30.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 25.0 dB

Is 1Mb all we can receive, or should I be pushing PlusNet for 2Mb??

Thanks,

Simon
46 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Given that the downstream (local) attenuation max for 2Mb is 43Db,and your SNR is good, you ought to get 2Mb and more.
N/A

If you are new subscriber to ADSL and your line has only just been connected you should have been connected at 2Mb with those figures, the limit for 2Mb is 41db line attenuation so you are well within the limits also you have a very good SNR so you should be OK for 2MB

If you have migrated in you will have been connected at the same speed you were on before and you should be upgraded to 2Mb in a couple of days.
dennisb66
Grafter

2MB line speed

I was interested to read stats on COALTD's thread,can someone please tell me how to obtain these details from my modem. :?:
Community Veteran

what is your modem?
dennisb66
Grafter

2MB speed

Voyager 105 supplied by +net.
Community Veteran

For Voyager 105 line stats

Double click on DUN icon on taskbar, click on status, hold control down and press F1 at same time, hidden menus should come up.

Click on DSL Link and line stats will appear.

[edited as my previous reply was actually for another thread Shockedops: ]
N/A

I've got the same problem mate as have said only 1 mb is available although number checker says 2mb, as does samknows. Can anyone tell me how I get those line stats? I have a linksys WAG54GS.

Much obliged.
N/A

Bah, ticketed PlusNet for an explanation and got the standard "That's the highest sustainable speed BT can provide for your line." Sad

This was a brand new install on a line converted from ISDN Business Highway.

Now to explain to the boss why its only a 1Mb connection and not the 2Mb one he was expecting.

Si
N/A

Ask Plusnet to do a woosh test on your line and ask them to supply you with the figures they get. This will tell you what your Atten and S/N is on your line and if it is within the limits for 2 MB which is a max of 43 dB downstream attenuation.

I had a similar problem last week and my line is 42 dB downstream. Finally got it resolved by Dave T from PN intervening and got the line regraded to 2 Mb from the 1 Mb that PlusNet and BT had said was the max available.
My line now works great at 2 MB with no dropped connections so far. Both S/N and Atten figures hardly changed according to my router stats (Netgear DG834G) when regraded from 1 Mb to 2 MB.
Very happy now Smiley
N/A

Ticket returned with a request for a whoosh test - watch this space *sigh*
N/A

/ stands in que behind coaltd
N/A

Well over the weekend I had it confirmed (although they didn't say whether a whoosh test had been run or not) that the line should be suitable and I can pay £14.99 for a manual regrade Shocked

Now surely if the line will support 2Mb we should've been connected as such as a new user as this is "the fastest speed our line will support". I therefore see this as Plus Net not supplying what they advertise?? And wanting to charge us the manual regrade fee to fix the mistake by PN or BT is adding insult to injury.

I've never had any trouble with my home account, but this wonderful ISP I recommended here at work for our connection isn't doing my reputation as someone who nows what they are talking about much good.
Community Veteran

Remember, it is BT who make the decision what speed a line can take, not plusnet so you may be pointing your finger/anger at the wrong people.

I suggest you raise a ticket and cause a stink and get PN to complain to BT. This is happening all to frequently.
N/A

I suggest you raise a ticket and cause a stink and get PN to complain to BT. This is happening all to frequently.

Thanks for the advice, have already complained about this in my returned ticket.