cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mbs regrade rejected by BT?

N/A

Hi,

Recently I raised a ticket with PlusNet to see if I could be regraded to 2Mbs from the 1Mbs that I was upgraded to as part of the auto-upgrade process. I thought the line stats (provided by my router) would have be good enough to have this done

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 40 db 11 db
Noise Margin 31 db 30 db

PlusNet said the line may support the 2Mbs but warned me that there was no guarantee that the request would be accepted as the BT phone number check came back as 1Mbs max. (people round about me though come back as 2Mbs in the phone checker?). They forwarded it to BT but now the ticket has come back with the reply -

The regrade was cancelled, BT gave the reason "Line Quality inadequate to support DSL".

Now maybe the line isn't good enough quality but I'm just surprised that BT rejected it given my figures appear to in the acceptable ranges, I live about 1.5km from the exchange (as the crow flies) and I've seen people with worse figures appear to be on 2Mbs OK.

Could anyone advise on anything else I can do or should I just close my ticket and get over it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
17 REPLIES
N/A

I wonder if PN carried out a woosh test. The results of that may be more accurate.
Community Veteran

BT have rejected it on the (inacurate) BT database status, they did not actually check your line (and rarely do).

This is one of the most common reasons why BT reject an order on a line that is more than capable of supporting the higher speeds. The BT database is notorious for being inaccurate yet BT still use it to determin upgrades and it is very difficult to impossible get it changed. There is nothing PlusNet can do is this situation I'm afraid, it is purely down to BT.
N/A

When I moved up to 2meg I spent hours wondering why I was only getting one meg. Neighbours on PlusNet had 2meg with no problem.

PlusNet said there was nothing they could do.

I researched the tech stats for the line (attenuation, SNR etc), spoke to a very helpful (for a change!) guy at BT wholesale who agreed that with those stats, 2mb would be fine.

Turns out in the end that PlusNet had me throttled at 1meg - took seconds to change it.

Why they couldn't have told me that in the first place I have no idea. :shock:
N/A

I wonder if PN carried out a woosh test. The results of that may be more accurate.

I had assumed that was done by the PN staff before they passed it onto BT. In my ticket it actually mentions that my line was checked that it was 40dB attenuation downstream.

Would a manual order make any difference as opposed to a request for a regrade?

Otherwise I guess I'm snookered by BT's useless systems unless I moved onto an LLU provider or something Sad
Community Veteran

A manual order is likely to be rejected for the same reason which is why this situation is so annoying for so many people.

Your only hope is to contact Mr Saffron, a mod on the ADSLGuide forums who has sometimes been able to get BT to change their database and thus allow the faster speed. You need to give him all details about your line test and the results from the woosh test PlusNet performed.
N/A

Here is the whoosh test results for my line. As you can see they are well capable of 2Mb as are the OP's stats. Tried manual regrade 3 times with no joy. I find it amazing that the only hope I've got of getting a 2Mb is getting Mr Saffron on ADSLGuide forums to try and change the BT database. Why PlusNet with its supposed close ties with BT is unable to have a procedure in place to get the actual results of a whoosh test used for the line speed instead of what is in the BT database is beyond me.

Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
NTE Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 26 dB
Margin 20 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 75592960
Speed 288 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 38 dB
Margin 30 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 684588065
Speed 1152 k

George
Community Veteran

It's even more frustrating when you hear that the woosh test is actually a BT line test done by the exchange so why this cannot be used as evidence that a line can support 2Mbs is beyond me.
N/A

Oh hell what a depressing thread to find. I'm a week into a ticket (#17677540) asking for a regrade from 1meg to 2 meg seeing as my line stats are 30dB attenuation and 26dB SNR. When the line was automatically upgraded it was 44dB and 12dB respectively, but has been tinkered with by BT to resolve a line dropping issue.

A week later and no response, but looks from this that I'm not likely to get a favourable one anyway. Other numbers on my street show 2 meg as being available, whereas mine shows 1 meg...
Alecto
Grafter

Why not get your MP on to it (serious suggestion).
BT have this monopoly position and are obviously abusing it to the detriment of the small guy. They have misclassified you and you aren't even allowed to talk to them to get them to change their minds, and nobody else can do anything either.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

For anyone in this position there is good news on the horizon. The documentation that BT have published regarding DSL Max means that when this is available you could see the benefits of faster speeds because the kit at the exchange will determine your maximum sync speed and if the line can support something faster than you have now, even if the regrade has been rejected then you would see this faster speed.
N/A

Well that all sounds lovely Dave, but there is absolutely no reason why these issues cannot be resolved right now, other than the fact BT choose to hide behind a all-but impenetrable (except maybe by Mr Saffron!) communications firewall.

Surely as major customers of BT Wholesale PlusNet and other ISPs should be stamping their feet and shouting at BT on behalf of their own customers? I mean, what exactly is stopping an acceptable line being upgraded other than BT cannot be bothered to look beyond a flawed database?

Oh, and seeing as we're here, is there any chance of an update on my ticket please? I'm not being inadvertantly throttled at PN's end am I? Thanks.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

As one off's we can raise them, although there is no guarantee that even then they would work. That stats don't always present the full picture though, there are as many examples of regrades being rejected because the stats look good as the number that are accepted and give unstable service with good stats.

Because the line checker will never be 100% reliable the Rambo kit being deployed for DSL Max is going to be the best solution.
N/A

Hi,

For anyone in this position there is good news on the horizon. The documentation that BT have published regarding DSL Max means that when this is available you could see the benefits of faster speeds because the kit at the exchange will determine your maximum sync speed and if the line can support something faster than you have now, even if the regrade has been rejected then you would see this faster speed.

Would this mean though that you would have to upgrade to a Max DSL package (presumably will be more expensive) if you were stuck at 1Mbs max., or would the "Rambo" kit automatically be used for Max DSL as well as existing packages which were <= 2Mbs?

Is there any timescale for this implementation and would there be any way of users being able to track when an upgrade to their exchange was to be made?
N/A

Had a similar problem nearly a month ago when my line was only upgraded to 1MB. My downstream atten was very close to limts at 42 dB and asked for an upgrade to 2 MB. Basically a bit of a mess up with CS at plusnet who totally mixed up my ticket. In the end DT intervened and got a whoosh test which was 42.5 db. They still put in a manual upgarde and within a few hours the line was running at 2MB. Been running ever since rock solid with no problems on a netgear DG834G. Smiley