cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mb distance/attentuation limits - when will BT extend them?

daviez
Grafter

As there seem to be lots of us currently on 1Mb and just outside the limits for 2Mb....

With MaxDSL "coming soon" and all the regrades up to 2Mb lines, does anyone know if / when BT will change the limits for 2Mb ?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Currently, no.

There are suggestions they will be looking at doign this as part of the results from the 8Mb trials underway.
N/A

Before the BT limits were last relaxed (i could find the date from my tickets, but think it was earlier this year?) I had 512, and was rejected 1mb by BT - after much toing and froing, and me being very adament i wanted it, going through every concievable way to get it - manual orders and the like.

Anyhow, the response was no way, no how - can't be done.

Then they relaxed the limits, and i was able to get 1mb, so was happy.

a few days ago, i came home and found my router synced at 2mb - yes, id been maxDsled, and am now surfing at a regular 220kB+

I hadnt expected to get a decent speed, cos of initially being rejected, but it would appear to me, that BT have further relaxed the limits - if only just a little bit...

so, when maxdsl gets to you, you may be surprised Smiley
Community Veteran

so, when maxdsl gets to you, you may be surprised Smiley

Yes you just might.

I have an ongoing case with a new provide where BT have provisioned it at 2mb but at the moment it wont work.
There are 2 very interesting things about this case though.

1. The line loss varies by a few dB's and measures sometimes 62dB's and now and again goes down to 57dB's.
When it does get down to 57dB's then it works fine at 2mb.
When its at 60dB's or more then the router sees the ADSL signal but wont stay in sync.

2. I have tried 2 routers on the line a) D-Link 504T (latest D-Link) b) an older D-link 504.
The newer router always sees the ADSL signal and will sync at 57dbB loss.
The older 504 has never seen the ADSL signal.

From the above I can deduce that a modern router which is more sensative should work on 2mb with a loss less than 57dB.
This is quite a bit more loss than the current BT limit of 43-45 dB.
N/A

god i wish my router (netgear DG814) would give me stats - would be nice to see what i was gettin Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My connection is now on 2mbit with my router reporting anything from 50-59dB and now my SNR is averaging 17-19, before the regrade te SNR was a solid 30 on 0.5mbit. I was expecting just to get 1mbit but thinking my line might not be suitable for 2mbit, even if BT put me on it as I have been getting loss of signal regularly now which just didn't happen before. Only time I lost connection pre regrade was if PN or BT did any work, so now watching my router logs and thinking maybe 2mbit is too good to be true for my line
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I was put on 2 meg, with an attenuation averaging about 52dB. My line stats now tend to flux between 48 and 55dB attenuation and 9 - 14dB SNR, and my line keeps losing sync. I have an engineer coming to take a look on Thursday, but I imagine its back to 1 meg for me. Sad
Community Veteran

As I posted above.
The router sensitivity could also be playing a part in the loss of sync. My older router just can detect anything with a loss of 57dB but a newer version is quite happy with that sort of loss at 2mb.

If you know anyone with a pretty modern router it may be worth having a "borrow" of it to see if it makes any difference.
Community Veteran

When it does get down to 57dB's then it works fine at 2mb

:shock:

Well there is hope for me yet!!! If I could have 2mb on my line now I would quite happily pay for this upgrade!

As BT are using the current limits to increase line speeds, when the trial finishes and the limits are relaxed further, does this mean we will have to go through this entire exercise again and wait again for them to be upgraded?
N/A

I've tried using a DLink DSL-604+ and a Origo 4-port. Both can't hold sync. I tend to think I was provisioned on 2meg by mistake, but I could be wrong... Maybe the engineer can work some magic when he comes on thurs.