cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2M ADSL only giving 500kbps until the very early hours.

N/A

The past month has seen my ADSL 2Meg service performance drop off dramatically for most of the day, and 500kbps seems to be the best I can get the majority of the time. It's started becoming visible when trying to watch streaming video news services etc which are buffering, which is a way of saying I'm not just clicking on speed test links and moaning because the stats are coming back a few k lower. The VOIP phone (hardware phone), and not Plusnets phone svce is also starting to suffer.
As soon as we get to the very early am, after 1am etc the speeds pick up again, and the quality of svce returns. I've gone through the usual suspects, swapping out filters, unplugging every other phone in the house just leaving the router in, tried 3 different PC's using 3 diff operating systems, WinXP, Linux, OS/2 so the problem doesn't seem to be local.
I've also gone through the BT speed test, changing the router logon to bypass Plusnet and pull the test file from BT's server, and that's giving me poor performance in the daytime as well.
Yeah I know it's a contended service but it appears that the local exchange is running below capacity

Anyone with any thoughts before I raise a broadband fault, and I'm not even sure the fault will get accepted because the speed / qos returns to normal during the early hours.... trouble is I don't want to watch streaming news and make VOIP calls at 3 in the morning when the speed goes back to normal, I want to do that during the daytime when I'm conscious Wink
3 REPLIES
N/A

All you can really do is open a question ( formerly known as ticket ) and explain the problem in there.

Along with this also do 3 BT speed tests ( id suggest that to cheat it a little and not get a simple shrugg off to do it whilst the service is still slow. IE between midnight and 1 AM ).

Be advised though that unless your getting results of 400Kbps or less ( for a 2mb line or greater ) after midnight chances are BT will laugh at the mere sound of a probable fault.

regards,
truvoice
Grafter

you might have been throttled because of your usage.
N/A

Thanks for the confirmations, I'll have to hope that the poor performace will cross into the midnight-1am zone and that way BT might take notice. Will raise a ticket as you suggest.

cheers

--
Chris

All you can really do is open a question ( formerly known as ticket ) and explain the problem in there.

Along with this also do 3 BT speed tests ( id suggest that to cheat it a little and not get a simple shrugg off to do it whilst the service is still slow. IE between midnight and 1 AM ).

Be advised though that unless your getting results of 400Kbps or less ( for a 2mb line or greater ) after midnight chances are BT will laugh at the mere sound of a probable fault.

regards,