cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24mb/s

N/A

24mb/s

Hi,

I've been targeted by an ISP who says they can guarentee me speeds of 24mb/s if I am within 1km from my exchange - where can i find how far I am from my exchange??

They are offering ADSL2 for less than what i'm payin now for 1mb Sad
23 REPLIES
N/A

24mb/s

Try SamKnows.com - it should be able to tell you how far you are from the exchange (though its not a guaranteed answer!).

Ian
N/A

24mb/s

tried that already - it doesnt tell you how far away you are Sad

Cheers 4 the reply though
N/A

24mb/s

Are you sure? You need to use this page:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

And you MUST enter your post code, hit submit and then click on the "Locality" link. It should then tell you the distance along with a nice Google map.
N/A

24mb/s

Yes it does. I just tried and it told me I was 807m from my exchange.
Mark64uk
Grafter

24mb/s

Does that not just give you a stright line distance, You actual line length could be alot longer.

Mark
N/A

24mb/s

Must be my internet in work - mine just times out b4 the pic loads.

Can any1 pm me to try out my postcode?

Thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

24mb/s

Yes it is straight line distance and is likely to be longer, but I think it is the only data available.

Phil
N/A

24mb/s

Does that not just give you a stright line distance, You actual line length could be alot longer.

Yeah, only straight line distance but it's better than nothing.
N/A

Do a .

Run a 17070 test , ringback option you need to use. it will call you back to line length.

You will need a BT eingeers mobile number to run the tests.
N/A

24mb/s

Just got 2 people to run the test for me at samknows.com - but both come back with the dreaded "red x"

Ah well - thats life, i'll have a look at a few other sites
N/A

24mb/s

I think you might get around 18Mbps if you live within 1km, and have a fairly new shiny set of wires (ie newish house). "Be"s first connection got that in London within 1km with ADSL2+

Of course, 18Mbps will just get you to the eventual cap within a shorter period of time. :lol:
N/A

24mb/s

I would be careful of the words gurenteed speed of 24mb/s

The max speed reported from trialists suggest speeds no greater (not average, but max) of just over 18mb/s
N/A

24mb/s

I would be careful of the words gurenteed speed of 24mb/s

The max speed reported from trialists suggest speeds no greater (not average, but max) of just over 18mb/s

Acarr very fair comment. I have also already contacted the company and have been informed that do to my location etc etc I should be effectively looking at around speeds of 15 - 16mb. This is still good enough for me.
The best part about all this is that BE have guaranteed me (and confirmed in no less than 3 emails I might add) that as I had registered my interest prior to the 18th September I will be guaranteed to pay no more than £20 a month for the whole service (no restrictions) for LIFE!!!
Yes I couldnt believe it either, they had stated for life in the email.
Now here is the other other guarantee they have made and confirmed in an email.
They have guaranteed me that my exchange will be enabled with their service by no later than March 2006. I would personally say that this company are making better progress than BT.

All in all its something I will monitor and havent commited to just yet, after all no one has ever gained much from jumping in head first...
N/A

24mb/s

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php will tell you your distance from your exchange.