cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

248 mb used between 8am-4pm when computer switched off!

N/A

I was checking my usage this morning and found that the 8am-4pm section yesterday was showing I had usage of 248mb. Thing is I left for work at 7.55 and switched off my computer. I have a wireless router but its a WPA encyrpted LAN, so I doubt its a freeloading neighbour. I was running a torrent just before leaving, but surely it wouldn't have that dramatic effect with people still trying to connect? Is the timings on the VMU out at all or do torrents keeping ticking away some time after you have closed them down? Would appreciate advise from anyone a bit more techy than me Cheesy
12 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

This could be residual traffic from the torrent you were running. As the tracker will hold onto your details for a while and keep sending new clients to your connection. Eventually this will stop, once the tracker realises that your client is no longer responding to requests.
N/A

OK thanks for that Jon. Seems an awful long time for the tracker to keep sending packets to a closed connection! At least I know its not someone using my connection.
N/A

248 MB ? No way. You'll get clients trying to connect to your IP, but they won't send a ton of data without getting a successful connection first.
N/A

248MB

connection is wrong, VMU is of the time limit, 248mb is impossbile data ain't sent if theres no were for it to go. you have to establish a connection first. and you get updates from the tracker every 5-15mins. so tracker will no when your offline anyway.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

It very much depends on the trackers configuration, and also on your torrent client.

Some trackers have a maximum refresh interval of 2 hours with recomended intervals of 3 hours plus. Bear in mind, if the recomended refresh is 3 hours, then the tracker timeout is going to be a lot more.

With regards to the client itself, if it uses a system for tracker-less torrents, then the noise created by these systems can take even longer.

Tracker-less torrent systems broadband into a P2P style network requests for specific files. As these requests pass through the network, which can take several hours to do, depending on the size of the tree, hosts respond with both connections to send you data, and requests to obtain it too.

Tracker-less torrents help to boost the sources of files to clients that no longer connect to the tracker, but they do also increase the volume of data needed.

Kind Regards,
N/A

I use Bit Comet which does support DHT and the torrent had run overnight and was well seeded, so what you said does make sense to me. No big deal, just wondered how it could happen.
N/A

I'll go with a similar situation.

Went to bed last night about 11.30-ish. I had NO torrents running since about 8pm that night yet i have for today :-

8am - 4pm 6.23MB
4pm-m'night 0MB
Total 12.54MB

Yet the pc has been off since i went to bed and is still off now.
N/A

Addition to post above..

Got home, turned pc on and im now at 17.23Mb... so.. does that mean that im still getting requests over 18 hours later?
N/A

It could be a plusnet forum page open with autorefreshing gif. Or a autorefreshing text page somehere. Add in instant messenger. You know, the stuff that you don't have control over, because noone ever though some ISP on island out there would come back to price per megabytage ratio.

Hmm.. so.. all it takes for someone to screw BB+ user is ping him for about 17 hours?
N/A

When I turn my PC off, my modem goes off with it. No IP, no data transfer.
N/A

It could be a plusnet forum page open with autorefreshing gif. Or a autorefreshing text page somehere. Add in instant messenger.

I think everyone in the thread has stated that the pc's were turned OFF when the figures were increasing...
N/A

I've noticed that since they introduced the new VMBU my midnight - 8 usage has shot up from around 60M to 170M. The only thing that's I have running at that time is my mail server collecting mail every 15 mins. 60MB seemed fair for that considering the amount of probes that I see in my router log. However why should it treble with the new VMBU? There is no increase in my mail.