cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£24 charge to get the lower price??????? 1mbit adsl home

N/A

Hi,
I have had a plusnet broadband account for years, and at present have the Home 1mbit service and am charged £32.99 per month (line only)
I noticed on the website that the 1 mbit service is now advertised at £29.99 per month for in effect an identical service.
So i rang customer support and they say it is a new service?? and if i want to transfer to exactly the same service as i have now but at £29.99 then it will cost me £24 to moveHuh

I said why would I pay that when many other isp are offering free modems etc if i migrate my service to them and no charges at all. and pay £29.99 per month.

I was amased at the answers of the plusnet guy.
Here is a long term customer, allways paid on time etc who is probably looking for a new ISP over issue of these ridiculous charges and it was of little concern.

Amazing that Plusnet do not value there existing customers.

anyways im off to adslguide.org to look for the best alternative
15 REPLIES
Dev
Grafter

I was on the old 1MB package and migrated for free to the new 1MB premier. i am on the annual contract, maybe there is a charge if you choose the monthly contract.
Community Veteran

The free move to the new products was a short time offer. It is no longer available.

To switch from one of the old accounts to the new now costs £14.99 to remain on the same contract term or switch to an annual contract. It is only £24.99 if you are currently on an annual contract and want to switch to the new product on a monthly contract.

So the CS agent may or may not have been correct in the info they gave and there is a lot of confusion on this subject which has been raised to PlusNet to get it sorted out as several CS agents have been giving out incorrect information.

The costs are detailed in the ADSL Upgrade Guide.
N/A

Thaks for the info. The prices you talk about are to upgrade or downgrade the type of connection. I am talking about an identical connection.

what ever way you look at it Plusnet want to charge me an ammount. while other ISP's want my business and offer incentives.

I dont really want to change but I am certainly not paying a fee to get the new? price and am not going to continue paying £32.99
N/A

Youll be going from data stream to ipstream or somthing like that, and apparently it is an upgrade and so costs you money ...

Im sure somone will be along soon enough with a very convincing reason as to why you should pay it.
Community Veteran

Youll be going from data stream to ipstream or somthing like that, and apparently it is an upgrade and so costs you money ...

It has nothing to do with Datastream. Plusnet only has 1 data stream product dslconnect and there is no way to switch between Datastream and IPStream (which most of the old and all the new products use) because BT don't have a way to switch between them.

The costs detailed are to switch from any of the old products (except dslconnect) onto the new broadband home products and and apply to everyone.

Thaks for the info. The prices you talk about are to upgrade or downgrade the type of connection. I am talking about an identical connection.

And so am I and PlusNet. The new products are just that, new, and based on a different charging method from BT which is wht they are cheaper, but it costs PlusNet time and money to move accounts over to the new products so that charge is passed on to you.

I dont really want to change but I am certainly not paying a fee to get the new? price and am not going to continue paying £32.99

Then your only choice is to go elsewhere. In which case good luck to you but a word of warning: Just comparing ADSL prices is not the only thing to consider. You must compare the whole package including any limitations they may have. Be VERY careful when comparing things as often you are not comparing like for like products.

what ever way you look at it Plusnet want to charge me an ammount. while other ISP's want my business and offer incentives.

Ah, the old 'incentives' scheme. Carefull of all that small print Wink

I wish you luck, especially when you have problems and need to contact support with other providers - paying 50p/min as many do and nothaving 24/7 support as even more do can cost you a lot more than what you may have saved switching to the new product.

Also remember, you may actually find you do't need the premier unlimited usage product - have you checked your broadband usage recently (click on connection settings -> view my usage, and click on the summary link). You may actually only need 2or 3GB which would then only cost you £23.99 or £25.49 so that payment of £14.99 could be recouped in only 2 months on the new products.

lots to think about there.
N/A

it costs PlusNet time and money to move accounts over to the new products so that charge is passed on to you.

Yes they do want to pass it on to me (clicking a mouse a few times is a very expensive and time consuming business you know Smiley, but if I was with another ISP instead of a paying Plusnet customer there would be no charge for migration to plusnet.

Then your only choice is to go elsewhere. In which case good luck to you but a word of warning: Just comparing ADSL prices is not the only thing to consider. You must compare the whole package including any limitations they may have. Be VERY careful when comparing things as often you are not comparing like for like products.

Elsewhere does seem to be my only choice indeed. Being reasonably intelligent I am just about able to read and can therefore make an informed choice when comparing products.
Price is not my main criteria I may pay more, but one thing I shall not do is pay more than the other users of that ISP for the same service that other users have.

Also remember, you may actually find you do't need the premier unlimited usage product - have you checked your broadband usage recently

Yes I have, as I said I just want an identical product.

Anyway nothings going to change apparently and its interesting to find that Plusnet dont mind loosing customers. I am very glad the Director that allows this to happen does not work for our company.

A word of warning to you people thinking of signing up for a new £xx.xx per month account.
Just think how annoyed you will be when a few months down the line when Plusnet have another "new?" service and offer new customers a lower price than the current but will charge you to benefit from it.

Its not about money for me, its the principal of treating your existing customers with contempt.

Please don't bother (Peter) to reply with so called justifications for this policy as there are none, and I shall not be back to read them, so save your effort.
Ianwild
Grafter

OK - I will be honest, I am really busy and haven't had a chance to read the whole thread (Which is unlike me!)...

If I say that, very very soon (In the next week all being well), we will be repricing the £32.99 ADSL Home 1MB to £29.99, does that negate this thread?

I will ensure this gets communciated to the Support Centre today.

Regards,

Ia
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately, I am with pengilly on this one and I am surprised to hear that PlusNet charge for this. The cost to them is exactly the same for the product he is on so it would not be hard at all to simply alter his direct debit payment etc... to a few pounds less.

I have always supported plusnet and will continue to do so. I do think that they are the best value ISP and think their customer support is second-to-none. I do however think it is very bad and indeed wrong of them to launch an identical service at a lower price and then charge current subscribers to have the benefit of paying the few pounds less.

Thats my take on it...
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep Liam - There was an oversight. We never meant for the situation to occur and we are resolving it ASAP.

Regards,

Ian
LiamM
Grafter

So once again PlusNet come up trumps! I know they'd have this situation sorted as soon as they had a look in on the thread. Well done plusnet Cheesy
N/A

And what about those who've already paid to regrade?
Community Veteran

Probably nothing, especially if you regraded to premier (uncapped) which has not changed in price anyway.

It's just a fact of life that sometimes you will miss out on things, and with the rapidly changing ADSL market you have to be in the right place at the right time to benefit sometimes. You pay for the products at the price they are advertised at the time.
Community Veteran

So once again PlusNet come up trumps! I know they'd have this situation sorted as soon as they had a look in on the thread. Well done plusnet Cheesy

I doubt this thread made any difference. It's most likely part of the pricing review that has resulted in the new prices just announced. The reduction on the existing (old) products would have needed to be costed through properly and that would have required days/weeks to do.

This thread probably does sum up some of the discussions that have gone on and was an opportunity for Ian to announce the prive reduction.

I just hope the Home surf packages aren't going up to £21.99 as well Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Yeah sorry, thats not what I meant. I meant that as soon as someone from Plusnet looked into it they would have a solution. Not necessarily that the solution is as a result of this thread. Sorry.