cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

210 router surfing on it's own!!

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

How come since I installed my new, free 201 router from PlusNet, that I have free 'out of hours' usage every single night - although my PC is switched off as usual. One night is even showing 2.38Mb - not bad for a switched off PC :shock:
Maybe this answers my earlier question of whether it (the router)should be switched off or not!
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

If the router is switched on then there will be a small amount of usage. Whenever your router is connected there will be a small amount of keep alive traffic and background noise. 2.38MB sounds like a fairly normal amount of an 8 hour period.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

2.3Mb sounds like a lot of 'background' traffic. I usually see between 50 and 100kb during the 8 free hours.
Check your firewall configuration on the router, make sure its not responding to external pings and that its blocking incoming traffic.
Also check your Plusnet firewall settings https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
as that can usefully block some incoming traffic.
kitz
Rising Star

I suppose it can vary from connection to connection.. but 2MB is about what I see on average per 8 hour period of background traffic. Ive currently got L8NC turned off but if I have that running its even more than that.

Ive just checked my own usage for a period when I know for sure that no-one could have been using it over the past few days and yep apprx 2MB off background traffic :/