cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20Gb Usage allowance - limitations BEFORE 20gb?

N/A

I upgraded from Plus due to increased usage.

Fair enough I thought.

On Plus, you got 4Gb usage.

Once you reached 4Gb you were put on level 1, then it was like 5Gb for level 2, then 7.5Gb for level 3, or something to that effect.

Now, on Premier I notice that I have reached level 1 by reaching 13Gb, then level 2 at some other figure, and level 3 at 20Gb?

Whats the deal here?

Another pathetic move from these idiots?
11 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

Its 13gb peak time usage when , yes, your speed does get reduced.

Try and schedule your downloads for off peak (12am to 4pm), then it wont count towards your usage.

Its very easy to do with a ftp prog, and some P2P progs. Just have it start downloading at 1am and stop at 3pm or something.
dennisb66
Grafter

I have reached 90% of my 4GB peak time allowance and have received a warning notice.Yesterday my PC was shut down during peak hours,yet I am showing a usage of 39.73MB can anyone explain this ? Sad
suec45
Grafter

Do you have a router which is left on?
James
Grafter

I have reached 90% of my 4GB peak time allowance and have received a warning notice.Yesterday my PC was shut down during peak hours,yet I am showing a usage of 39.73MB can anyone explain this ? Sad

If all of your connecting hardware (modem or router) was turned off, then this could indicate a problem. Otherwise, using a router does generate traffic even when a PC is turned off.
Community Veteran

, using a router does generate traffic

surely 40MB is a bit excessive for pings, probes or even afterglow?
If it's a wireless router though best check your security to make sure no-one's piggybacking ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Try and schedule your downloads for off peak (12am to 4pm), then it wont count towards your usage.

That's fine when the VMBU is working - however it often isn't (as wasn't for me once), and it counts all day usage as peak, some of which was well before 4pm. Funny how it isn't the other way round and the error is in PlusNet's favour.

I don't use my PlusNet connection much, and next time I do I will be looking at the figures. It was an insignificant amount so I didn't bother to raise a ticket (to be probably told their systems are correct, and I could submit my own figures and they might do something about it if they could be bothered).
James
Grafter

surely 40MB is a bit excessive for pings, probes or even afterglow?
If it's a wireless router though best check your security to make sure no-one's piggybacking ...

You'd think that. But it is possible that someone on the outside is being nasty, or as you say, some piggybacking going on.
N/A

Once again comments about getting restriction before you exceed your max limits. At 13G you are restricted and you get some 'helpfull advice' like this is to help you manage your useage. I suppose the official idea is that by slowing you down it will be harder for you to exceed your 20G limit. I would say that after getting to 13G with only 2 days left on your billing period it is hardly likely that you are now going to hammer in with 3.5G per day. I would like 20G at my max speed on all services, then PLusNet hammer me if I go over the 20G.
The service should be advertised as 13G at maximum line speed then the next 3G (or whatever it is) with the following services restricted (whatever they are) then the next 4G at the following speed (replace with speed) then after that we get nasty. I know that in fact you can find this out but why not put that down in plain English right where you can see it under the specifications of the product?
suec45
Grafter

This is not lecturing, just a suggestion.

Our family is quite heavy on the net usage (3 computer between 4 people on our Premier connection), but only off peak.

We schedule all downloads for off peak and then simply leave it downloading at night, its really simple.

All we do at peak times is browse and game, which uses very little traffic. If Plusnet want to chaneg the peak times we would simply reschedule so as not to cause congestion at peak times.

Off peak we use around 30-35gb a month, but for peak times this is barely 3-5gb on Broadband Premier, sometimes less.

We find it really easy to stay well under the peak time limit with just 2 or 3 miutes planning.

^^ Just my opinon.
dennisb66
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your replies.Yes my router was left on Thursday night. I turned it off last night and downloaded only 1.08mb which i expect is acceptable. It looks like i may have someone piggybacking Cry will double check my router security.
Liam
Grafter

My usage is normally around 1-1.5Mb with just my router online.