cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20:1 vs 50:1 contention

N/A

I've a 2mb link, on the 20:1 service. I've recieved an email that says it is due to be moved to a 50:1 contention (as expected). I can pay an extra £10 a month and stay on the 20:1 service.

The performance I currently get is excellent (not that I do any serious downloading!). Am I likely to see any difference if I move to 50:1 link? I wouldn't expect there to be much difference most of the time. Am I missing something?

Cheers, Colin.
15 REPLIES
N/A

In theory what will happen is over twice as many people will be sharing the same connection as you - so its possible you could see the speed halved at busy times. It may not happen in practice, but it could.........

Its rather like a queue - if 20 people are in the queue it moves quicker than 50 people in it (Try a post office in a lunchtime and try it mid afternoon and you see what i mean :-) )
N/A

Theory and practice can differ greatly.

There are 3 main reasons why 20:1 could be considered better.

1) The worst case contention is guaranteed not to be less than 1/20th of your advertised connection speed. (very unlikely in practice even on a 50:1 connection)

2) Contention is done against other users on the same contention ratio therefore you only share your bandwidth with other 20:1 users. as there are less of these and they are mainly business users you would probably see less contention durring the peak hours in the evening.

3) Higher upload speed when Maxdsl arrives.

Hope that helps
N/A

Thanks for that.

Sounds like 20:1 is preferrable, but the sort of usage I do isn't critical, so I'll keep the tenner a month in my pocket unless 50:1 is slow enough to irritate meSmiley

Thanks again, Colin.
wheelnut
Grafter

Plusnet advertise that the product is throttled to 30:1 at Plusnets end - they claim that if you are on 50:1 on the BT network, it will never be as bad as that and you can expect 30:1.
If you are on 20:1 Plusnet will throtle to 30:1 anyway.

..... so you can pay £21.99 for a 30:1 service, or pay an extra £10 a month and get a 30:1 service

... obviously makes sense to someone a Plusnet -- somewhere

me? - I am staying with the 30:1 LOL
N/A

I got the mail too, asking for another £10, I wouldn't mind except for the fact that I am paying £40 already for a 2MB connection (I never got a mail explaining about price changes and regrades). I read about it on ADSLguide.org but didn't bother regrading because I download more than the average user and wanted to be as fair as possible (I download more so i pay more).
I now plan to regrade down to the 2MB max and halve my costs...
JJ
Grafter

I have also received the 50:1 / 20:1 e mail

So here I am paying £39.99 a month for the home premier 2Mb service and receive an e-mail saying it will cost me £10 more to stay at 20:1 ie £ 49.99 or things will remain the same but at 50:1.

Why haven't I been offered a reduction to the Home premier 30:1 2Mb service which is only £21.99, or even the Home Premier 'up to 8Mb' 30:1 option at £34.99. But No Plusnet want me to pay £39.99 for a 2Mb 50:1 product.

I certanly don't mind paying extra for true 20:1, equally I expect to be offered a reduction so my base product at least matches one of the residential products currently listed by plusnet.

Pity as I was quite happy with plusnet until today.

John H
Community Veteran

I also got the email and Im moving to the 50:1 service. 20:1 doesn't cost that much for PlusNet to provide and you will get equal service from PlusNet to to that of a 50:1 service. Only the connection at BTs end is different. If like me you already live on a highly contented exchange you would be better moving to 50:1.
N/A

I've been on teleworker pro for two years on a 20:1 contention and I've never had a slow connection. Mind you, I do live in a small town. I was previously on a 50:1 contetion and was offered the option of upgrading to the better contention, and I thought then it was worth it if it kept my download good Smiley
N/A

Will it cost anything extra to move from 50:1 to 20:1 later on?
I guess people won't want to get hit with an upgrade fee in the future, to change back to a product they already had, on top of the £10ppm for the benefit.
If there will be no charge, then its probably worth trying the 50:1 for a while to work out the best option?
N/A

This is from plusnet.service.customer-feedback
User
"Would it be possible to transfer back to a 20:1 contention if a user found they were having significant speed issues (on the same terms as offered at the moment)?"
PlusNet Support Team
"It wouldn't unfortunately no, not unless you sign up for an account that we market as 20:1 at the exchange."
N/A

AH, so it either pay now and never know, or don't pay, and it could be hard luck?
N/A

Pretty much.

I did ask elsewhere if the deadline could be extended so we can see what the new business products look like before making a decission but no response so far.
N/A

I'm currently paying 29.99 for teleworker pro 512. Thats a 20:1 contention and PN have said that we will be getting the speed upgrades the same as residential. So, save £2 a month by going on teleworker. I presume that the residential package would be £21.99 + £10 for 20:1 contention :roll:
N/A

Why did PlusNet not say in this email that Premier £39.99 and £29.99 customers can now downgrade to the £21.99 tariff without any loss of functionality?

An existing £39.99 customer could then opt for £21.99 plus the £10 contention premium if he wanted it, making a total of £31.99 and still £8 less than he currently pays.

Instead, many £39.99 customers are still being kept in the dark about the new tariff and will blindly fork out the extra tenner for the dubious contention benefit -- meaning that they now will be paying £49.99 for a product which may function identically to the £21.99 product.

PlusNet's abuse and manipulation of its customers has become farcical. They are treating their best customers like dirt.

Simon