cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20,000 fines from the Data Commisioner?

N/A

Oooer.

Earlier today, PlusNet made an error resulting in 3,500 Force9 customers receiving a .csv spreadsheet file containing account data relating to 20,000 other customers.

The mistake was reported initially on ADSLGuide and Plusnet had already halted the send when we escalated it to management. The email sent contained the following fields of customer data : "service_id", "username", "full_name", "product_name", "subscription_charge", "postmaster_email", "alt_email", "visp", "optout_status", "active_status"," real_name"

Customer Communications Manager, Ian Wild, commented : "This was an error on our part. In the email tool we have to upload two files, one containing the text of the email to be sent, the other a spreadsheet with that batch's email addresses in it. It looks like the same file was uploaded for both the email text and the recipient list."

Ironically, a new email tool designed to prevent these errors occurring is currently in QA testing due for rollout within the next couple of weeks internally.

PlusNet have sent apology emails to the 3,500 who received the erroneous email as well as the 20,000 customers whose details were distributed.

The Usergroup are disappointed that yet another human error has occurred and will pursue this issue with Plusnet to ensure the new internal email tool has safeguards against a similar situation occuring again.

Link here

Not a good start to the week for customer service.
42 REPLIES
N/A

They will get in deep do-do for this.
N/A

another

sweet jesus of nazerath.

more stuff for PR100 et al to bitch about on AG.

why o why does the bulk email tool not have a preview of the mail that will be sent shown before the big red button is pressed.

School boy errors each week it seems now.

i'm glad it isnt my data.
N/A

What I don't understand is why on earth would someone sending bulk emails have access to private files where the open dispersal of said material could lead to criminal prosecution? It doesn't make sense.

I would have thought customers' information would be kept in some sort of file vault (or something).
N/A

Re: 20,000 fines from the Data Commisioner?

Oooer.

PlusNet have sent apology emails to the 3,500 who received the erroneous email as well as the 20,000 customers whose details were distributed.

Have they sent or are they sending?
Community Veteran

This ISP appears to really have it in for us. 1st destroying e-mail the telling potentially 20,00 customers if anyone mentions recompense for this service they say. In line with other ISPs we will not be providing any compensation.

How about !In line with other ISps we will provide a secure service with uptime measured in months and security of all customer data be it email or personal details will always be our goal.

Come on PN get a grip.

A
N/A

shouldn't have used there own servers.

PR100 doesn't bitch, he generally tries to be helpful to disgruntled customers who are having issues with PlusNet and the ways in which to deal with them.
N/A

Re: another

more stuff for PR100 et al to bitch about on AG.

ADSL Guide is an independently-run forum with its own rules and moderation, and PR100 has every right to post on the forum, at the invitation of ADSL Guide.
N/A

o please.

Yeah you are right he does have the right to do what he wants and if thats the repeated spouting of "get legal" mantra then thats ok

This whole situation sucks, By all means point them to the ICO's website.
N/A

Re: o please.

How about we stick to PlusNet and there problems and no whinge about other people who post elsewhere. Its there choice to post where they like.

Big breach of the Data Protection Act, but hey, it will probably be swept under the carpet.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Dont feed the troll

How about we stick to PlusNet and there problems and no whinge about other people who post elsewhere. Its there choice to post where they like.

whatever.

Yup this situation sucks, but nothing surprises me or amazes me with regards to plusnet anymore.

Another case of poorly thought out tools in use without proper control.
N/A

Re: Dont feed the troll

A nice mature comment. Little Britain eat your heart out.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is not necessary and against the rules]
N/A

I thought I had entered ADSLGuide.org then for a minute.
N/A

The Register will have a field day with this. Maybe the BBC will pick up on this one too. And it's not going to look good for any prospective customers to see so many nasty stories in such a short space of time.
Laugh
Grafter

My God :shock:

PlusNet are going to run out of Directors to issue apologies soon!