cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 small changes and WOW!

Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

Well I've had my MaxDSL for a short while now and was seeing speeds not to much faster than the 2Mbit connection I had before.

Checking the router it was syncing at 3.5-4.5 Mbit but it did drop a couple of times below 3Mbit so I got stuck back a 2 Mbit.

Changed the router for a new ZyXEL I got via work and speeds jumped to 3.9-5.2Mbit so I was constantly getting the 3000 connection (and if I turned off during the day I would get 4000 as the dip to 3.9 seems to happen around 4-5.30 pm every day.

Today I changed the faceplate on my master socket to a BT ADSL 1.0 and WHOOSH the speed jumps on 1st connect to 7552.

I'll see how things go over the next couple of days but as these faceplates are available for about 15 quid it may be worth investing in if you are having connection problems.
17 REPLIES
N/A

2 small changes and WOW!

Do you connect your router directly into the ADSL face plate?
Community Veteran

2 small changes and WOW!

Hi losprog

Thanks for posting up these details I have been considering replacing my individual micro filters with a master face place splitter, and relocating my router to the master socket.

But the expense of the face plate and the upheaval of removing loft boards to run Cat5 cables had put me off.

Although is would not guarantee any improvement in my case, I had been looking to see if anyone else had positive results.

Can I ask where you purchased your face place from and which model.

Chilly
N/A

2 small changes and WOW!

chilly since reading this post I've done a little bit of research, some useful info here http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm you can you also purchase the items from this site.
Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

You can get one from Solwise

My one is a BT supplied master faceplate v1.0 (I spoke nicely to an engineer who was fitting one at my work and he gave me a "spare")

Well that's over an hour and no change on the speed so far Smiley

Solwise also do networking over mains which I use as my floors are concrete on the ground floor and I cannot lay cat5 easily.

Their 85 Mbit version has been working great.

Oh and I'm not associated with Solwise in any way.
GersFans
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

Thanks for posting up these details I have been considering replacing my individual micro filters with a master face place splitter, and relocating my router to the master socket.

I was having terrible trouble with disconnections up until friday, when, yep I had one of the new faceplates fitted.

Touch wood, I have just had 24hrs without a disconnection for the first time in 2 months, but packet loss is still present and causing a bit of a problem with MSN & gaming..

I cannot say it will improve in your case, but having forked out for a new router [£50] and renewing micro filters without success this may be a cheaper way to do things.

Maybe worth a try......
N/A

2 small changes and WOW!

Why not go for a wireless router, no need to go through floorboards and all that then!

However, if you are on 1Gbit network you may want to steer clear!
Community Veteran

2 small changes and WOW!

new router [£50] and ...

I wish, I am looking at the Draytek Vigor 2800G @ over £150.
But then I am a strange old Penguin, I do not mind spending that on a router, £15 on a ADSL face plate, HOWWW Much.

Mcgod
I am already running wireless, and that is one option, but that would mean running the connection to my web server via wireless.

Chilly
GersFans
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

I wish, I am looking at the Draytek Vigor 2800G @ over £150.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean, I only spent £50 on that router because I didn't have a spare one to try my connection on, only needed it to prove that it wasn't my equipment that is causing problems with my connection. [Since returned to PCWorld where the nice girl gave me my money back..]

The actual router i use for my network cost more than the computer I am posting this from Wink :lol:
N/A

2 small changes and WOW!

A quick question on the same subject -

I don't plug in a telephone to the master socket, just the router. My phone is on a hardwired extension from the back of the master socket.

I'm wondering if i need to use filters at all? or can i just plug my router straight into the master socket without any problems. I currently use 2 normal splitters, one on the master socket, one on the extension .
Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

well as an update.

Got up this morning and the speed had INCREASED Smiley Boy was I happy. 7662 (or there abouts).

Got home to find something had happened and I was down to 5995 (approx) Sad

Reset the DSL connection and it jumped back to 7392

What the hell are BT doing at approx 2pm every day that causes my router to see a 1.5Mbit drop in speed one wonders.
Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

I'm wondering if i need to use filters at all? or can i just plug my router straight into the master socket without any problems. I currently use 2 normal splitters, one on the master socket, one on the extension .

The way you have things at the moment is the correct way of doing things unless you change the faceplate on the master socket.
Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

I am looking at the Draytek Vigor 2800G

Each to his own as they but to be honest I've had a heap of problems with Draytek routers. Not been very impressed in the least.

ZyXEL on the other hand have been brilliant, almost as good as my Cisco (but with that you are definately paying most of the money for the badge).
Sproglet
Grafter

2 small changes and WOW!

well as an update.
Reset the DSL connection and it jumped back to 7392

And this has been stable for over 27 hours now Smiley

For a line that was "borderline 2Mbit" to quote BT I find a stable 7392 quite a pleasant surprise. I'm still shocked at how something as simple as a faceplate filter can do so much. Cheesy
N/A

2 small changes and WOW!

losprog,

I'm glad you've managed to improve your connection, but I must add a word of caution for the benefit of any would-be "smart asses" like myself who may be tempted to mess about with a perfectly good connection.

On Tuesday last I "emerged" from a painfully slow MaxDsl (stage 2) when my MSR jumped to 7000 (it had been fixed at 500 for nearly five days).

In fact my MSR had been set at 8000 shortly after MaxDsl (stage 1) commenced back in May. But when stage 2 started on 8th June I left my router ON overnight. I've since learned that I should probably have turned the router OFF, then BT would likely have given me a default MSR of 2000 ... A shame that PN don't provide any useful advice about this!

My router now syncs regularly at 8096, but my downstream LA/SNR have become dangerously borderline ... the LA is a constant 38, but the SNR varies throughout the day from a "high" of 11-12 down to a low of 6-8 db at night. Before MaxDsl my LA and SNR were fixed at 40 and 27 resp.

After reading your OP I decided to have a look behind my BT socket faceplate ... of course I dropped my connection for about 5 mins. I restored the socket/faceplate as before, but my router re-synced at 2528 kbps! I quickly did a reboot, and it immediately synced at 8096 once again.

That was Wednesday evening - about 6.00pm. Everything seemed to be back to "normal" again until half-an-hour ago when I noticed that my browsing was beginning to slow down ... I did a PN speedtest - 1904 kbps! I'd been getting over 4000 since Tuesday.

So I checked my MSR. It's now 2000!

So I'm back to square one .... another 5 days of rebooting, hoping my MSR goes back up at the end of it.

Serves me right, of course. But there's a moral here: A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! And leave well alone Smiley

Question for the experts:

If/when (fingers crossed!) my MSR does go back to 7000 (or whatever), how long does it take BT to acknowledge that my connection has finally "maxed", and stop messing about with my adsl line? ... How many days (or weeks) must I wait before I can afford to turn my router off, without BT lowering the MSR again?

DT