cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 meg broadband, I'm happy!

N/A

2 meg broadband, I'm happy!

Cheesy
I have been stuck on a download speed of 480 kbps for quite a while. BT said everything 'is within acceptable parameters' for a 2 meg service (400 to 2000 kbps is normal!) I had unplugged all other items on the line (Sky plus and a 'signalman' device for my oil storage system) but that didn't seem to make a difference. I then plugged them back in.
Force 9 checked and re checked their end and couldn't find a problem. Then they happened to mention that I on on MaxDSL and that it takes 3 days at a stable rate for the system to increase the download speed.
I unplugged the other devices and sure enough, 3 days later my download speed increased from 480 kbps to 1.87 mbps. Now all I have to do is to reconnect the other devices one at a time, 3 days apart to see which one was causing the slowdown. Force 9 say that my line now has a sync of 5500 so I can expect even more speed.
My only gripe is that Force 9 did not tell me that I was on MaxDSL and what that meant about needing a stable sync speed for 3 days, but I have to say the support team were very patient and we had an exchange of messages most days for 10 days to resolve the problem. (even when they were having the e-mail difficulty)
I realise this might prompt a list of comments about "well they haven't fixed mine" etc but I thought I shoult post the problem and the solution for me here to see if it helps anyone else, and to try and lift the air of gloom that seems to have taken over this forum! (although I would not be happy if my e-mail was still adrift.