cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

I read a while back that the free upgrade would go to 2,4 or 8 meg. How do we know which we are getting?
12 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Initially, in the next few months, the upgrades will be to a maximum of 2Mb.

Then, from around September time, you will be upgraded to the fastest speed available on your line upto 8Mb as BT rollout 8Mb speeds across it's network.

At possible, we do not know the limits for each speed, but from 2mb - 8mb speeds will be available in 0.5mb steps. so 2mb, 2.5mb, 3mb, 3.5mb etc... upto 8mb.

More information will be available nearer the time, but typically it's going to be a case of wait and see.

Do you know any of your line stats? Are you running a router or modem? Which model? In particular, Line Attnuation (or Line Loss) and SNR (Noise Ratio) are the figures we're interested in.
N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Not sure of those at the moment as I'm at work, but I'll check when I get home. Also, how will I kow when I have been upgraded? Is there a way to check my connection speed?
LiamM
Grafter

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Your router / modem should give this information also. You will connect at a higher speed.

Aside from that, you'll probably just notice things being speedier.
N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Also, how will I kow when I have been upgraded? Is there a way to check my connection speed?

use the bandwidth speed test tool in connection settings.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Actually the bandwidth tool won't show the change in speed, as the speed will be set on your account.

Most modems will show the speed it is sync'd at, failing that the BT Speedtester will show the true speed of your line.
N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

I certainly feel I'm at the moment paying way too much for my 1Mb.
There is much better offers right now to get same for half money,
I'm seriously considering moving to other provider. 'Cry'

Again one of the reasons is announcement like this after which there is
no follow up news at all. Also I would like to see some gesture of the good
will from plusnet with either increasing our bandwith for same money,
or at least lowering a price.

Just my 30 pounds a month... (':roll:')

Al

Initially, in the next few months, the upgrades will be to a maximum of 2Mb.

Then, from around September time, you will be upgraded to the fastest speed available on your line upto 8Mb as BT rollout 8Mb speeds across it's network.

At possible, we do not know the limits for each speed, but from 2mb - 8mb speeds will be available in 0.5mb steps. so 2mb, 2.5mb, 3mb, 3.5mb etc... upto 8mb.

More information will be available nearer the time, but typically it's going to be a case of wait and see.

Do you know any of your line stats? Are you running a router or modem? Which model? In particular, Line Attnuation (or Line Loss) and SNR (Noise Ratio) are the figures we're interested in.
Cry Cry Cry :roll:
N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

I know my line stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 29 db 17 db
Noise Margin 28 db 30 db

But where does it tell me if these are good enough?
Community Veteran

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

They are good enough.

Its the downstream figures that count...

to get 512k - attenuation = anything
to get 1mb - attenuation = less than 60db
to get 2mb - attenuation = less than 43db

SNR (noise ratio) needs to be above 10 to be stable - 13 is ok 15 better 20 good and above that, excelent.

You should be good for 2mb and beyond - 8mb may be pushing it, but I dont think figures for those speeds exist just yet - these will probably be decided upon after the trial has finished?
csogilvie
Grafter

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

That's certainly what I'd expect anyway - just hte same as the last time the limits changed was following a trial.
N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

You should be good for 2mb and beyond - 8mb may be pushing it

That's good news - I've been waiting for a regrade to 2MB for over a week and was beginning to think the line wouldn't take it but no-one had thought to mention the fact!

Maybe I just need a bit more patience!
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

Hi there,

How about you move to the lower FUP threshold (30GB at £21.99)? It will cost £14.99 to do but will save you money in the short term. I've checked your usage and there doesn't seem to be a problem doing this.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

2 meg, 4 meg or 8 meg

The reason why I joined plusnet is because it's excellent customer service.
This really proves it.
I recomended plusnet to friend of mine, who just today suggested the same.
So thanks a lot, I will do exactly that.
And count me back to be one happy customer! 'Tongue'

Thanks again

Al

Hi there,

How about you move to the lower FUP threshold (30GB at £21.99)? It will cost £14.99 to do but will save you money in the short term. I've checked your usage and there doesn't seem to be a problem doing this.

Kind Regards,
Tongue