Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Problems.

markgillespie
Grafter

2 Problems.

1st one if my problem.

I am trying to view usenet messages in alt.satellite.gps.garmin

It shows no messages, but Google Groups shows plenty.. Is something wrong Plusnet end? Is this worthy or raising a ticket?

2nd, is a problem a techo-phobe friend of mine has. I setup Plusnet Broadband for them, using the supplied BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem. It always fails to connect 1st time, but connects properly on the 2nd attempt. I have ensured the line is sync'd (ADSL light has stopped flashing) before I attempt a connect, and this makes no difference. Anyone else seen this problem? Very strange...
3 REPLIES
N/A

2 Problems.

With the second problem, its likely that, whilst you have waited for the sync to occur (the connection to the exchange) you have not actually logged on to the PN network.

The modem appears to be doing it automatically, its just that its not doing it until you request a page from the web. Once you do, it tries to log in and get the page, but your browser times out before the page is retrieved. The connection is active though then, so all subsequent pages load fine.

IIRC there is an interface with the modem, which allows you to force the connection and login to occur, but its always going to take more effort than allowing page one to fail, the refreshing after 10 secs.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

2 Problems.

Hi,

I've reset that newsgroup on the news server, it should start picking up posts within the next 24 hours.

For the second problem, I think James is likely spot on, if the modem is setto auto-connect on dial-up or is connecting before sync is established then it would fail the first connection attempt.
markgillespie
Grafter

2 Problems.

What do I need to do to get the modem working right? I did set the modem to autodial.

Is there any modem configuration options? I remember the old binatone USB modems Plusnet used to offload had a web interface to tweak settings. Does the Voyager 105 have anything similar?