cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19 Days of MaxDSL - It Sucks!!

N/A

Before I start - yes I have raised tickets. :-)

Well I am 19 days into MaXDSL, and still getting the same issues I got in the 10 day trial period - not impressed. Before MaxDSL I had a rock solid connection and stable data rates, getting pretty much what I paid for.

I'm a gamer, browser and occasional downloader, so this is really getting on my nerves now. Every 1-2 hours, it can be random, I get synch dropping and the line resynchs...everytime it resysnchs around the 4mbps mark. Obviously this makes gaming a pain in the butt - how can you play World of Warcraft or BF2 if your lines drops out every hour?? Or, now that we have stupidly low peak time download allowance, scheduling a download for the middle of the night is a pain with a connection that resysnchs every hour.

Equally laughable is the data rate cap that BT/Plusnet set. Mine has been 2000 then it went to 4000 and now it's back to 2500 - all the time I have synched at around 4mbps, so what's the story with that??

Before MaxDSL, I had no issues at all.

Looking at these forums, it looks like Max DSL is "a bit pants" to quote my 10 year old son.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Oh Dear.

About your sync loss, does this happen at all times of day or night or just in the peak 6pm to 11pm times?

Are you on a high attenuation line? What is your router make/model?

I am only a 6 days into MaxDSL, but my symptoms are similar.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Well, I only use the internet in the evenings, so I can't really say if it happens in the day or not. I have a Zoom USB modem.
vic_newey
Grafter

Well, I only use the internet in the evenings, so I can't really say if it happens in the day or not. I have a Zoom USB modem.

I am using a Zoom USB at the moment, it is actully more stable than my router & it shows the levels of Interleaving enabled on my line in the moment, I waited 17 days before mine finally completed & altho I had 2.2 quite stable it has finalised with only 1.5 meg even tho it syncs now at 1.9 & snr 12 downstream
N/A

2006-04-26
11:08:45
You
Open : [Support Wizard Journey]
[Technical query]
[ VMU Problem ]
[ ADSL VMU ]

[Additional Information]
The vmbu is wrong for my account. As an example, last night I downloaded a large 580mb file. The vmbu for yesterday shows 0kb. Most of the other days vmbu are wrong as well.
2006-04-26
21:10
[Removed]
CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mr Heathcote,
We are currently aware of an issue with the webstats and our technicians are looking into this.
We are hoping to have this resolved shortly.

Regards,
[Removed]

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Attention Required! This ticket has been answered. Please click "Action Ticket" to close the ticket or send it back to the support team.
Tickets are closed automatically if not actioned within 14 days.

Ticket: 19258063 Assigned

Raised: 2006-04-26 10:48:29 by: You

2006-04-26
10:48:29
You
Open : [Support Wizard Journey]
[Technical query]
[Other]
[Customer couldn't find a wizard option for his query please review the need to change the wizard]
[Additional Information]
I am synching at 4mbps now that I am on MaxDSL, but after running many speed tests the fastest download speed I can get is 1.9mbps. On this website it says my stable rate is 2000 - which explains the speed tests I guess. Looks like my BRAS profile is stuck as well...I was changed to Max DSL on 19/04, so I am 7 days into the 10 day period. Surely after 7 days it should have updated, I have been told it changes every 3 days at the most. Is this a problem at the Plusnet end?
2006-04-26
20:45:10
[Removed]
CSC Agent Actioned : It can take 10 days for the initial profile to be set correctly.

Once the 10 days is complete this will then update approximately every three days. If BT are showing a stable rate of 2MB then this is set externally to our selves.

Regards,
[Removed]

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
2006-05-08
11:52:18
You
Assigned : It's been 19 days now since I was moved on to MaxDSL and I am still getting issues.

My modem syncs at 4mbps. In the last 19 days my data rate has been capped at three different levels 2000, 4000 and then back to 2500. I am synching at 4mbps so why has my data rate gone from 4000 back to 2500 in the last few days??

To make things worse, during the whole 19 day period I have experienced synchronisation drops every 1-2 hours. I was led to believe that this wouldn't happen after the 10 day period, but the problem remains.

BEFORE MaxDSL I didn't have any issues at all, my line and data rate were rock solid.

Please investigate
2006-05-08
11:58:37
[Removed]
If you have sync'd at lower speed in the past 72 hours then resynced at faster speed, it will take upto 72 hours for the speed to re-increase, this is because BT would have picked up on that the line glitched and slowed down so would have adjusted the maximum stable rate of the connection.

You state that you are having intermittent syncronisation issues. In order for us to investigate further please provide answers to the following questions. BT require the answers to these specific questions before we are able to raise a fault to them. It is important you try all the suggestions so we can rule out non-BT faults. If we raise a fault to BT and the cause is found to be due to your equipment or setup then a BT administration charge of £54.05 can apply.

1. Does the loss of connection occur only at certain times of the day or is it continuous? If only at certain times, please state when.

2. How long has the problem been occurring for and when did it start?

3. What are you doing at the time of the fault - e.g. downloading large files, or does it only drop when idle?

4. When you lose connection is sync lost on the modem/router - i.e. does the ADSL link light start flashing or does it remain solid green?

5. Do you have any other equipment on the line that may affect service, such as a fax machine and is the PSTN (voice) service OK?

6. Please connect your modem/router to the master socket, leaving all other equipment disconnected and see if the problem still happens.

7. Has another modem/router been tested on your line, or have you tested your modem/router on a line known to be working?

8. Has the micro filter being changed to prove if it is a problem?

9. Are you on a particular website when the connection drops?

10. Is the session actually disconnecting (requiring you to login again), or is it degrading to almost nothing (session stays up, but hardly usable)?

11. Can you reconnect again straight away, or do you have to reboot?

12. Do you use any other protocols and applications other than Web-browser, email and FTP?

13. Do you get an error code when you log on again?

14. Have filters been added to all used points?

15. Is there an alarm system on the property which utilises the phone line?

16. Have you anything else connected to your PC besides the modem/router?

Please note the make and model of the hardware that you have. This may help us identify problems more quickly.

Please also include your preferred contact number, (which should be a mobile phone where possible) and an alternative, along with the best time to contact you.

IMPORTANT:
In order for us and BT to investigate further you must leave your ADSL hardware powered-up and plugged in.

Regards,
[Removed]

2006-05-08
13:36:26
You
Assigned : If we raise a fault to BT and the cause is found to be due to your equipment or setup then a BT administration charge of £54.05 can apply.

Are you winding me up? This started happening the day MaxDSL was enabled which I didn't ask for - I am not paying for anything.

1. Does the loss of connection occur only at certain times of the day or is it continuous? If only at certain times, please state when.

Random

2. How long has the problem been occurring for and when did it start?

It started exactly when MaxDSL was enabled on my line

3. What are you doing at the time of the fault - e.g. downloading large files, or does it only drop when idle?

Random

4. When you lose connection is sync lost on the modem/router - i.e. does the ADSL link light start flashing or does it remain solid green?

The sync light on the modem flashes

5. Do you have any other equipment on the line that may affect service, such as a fax machine and is the PSTN (voice) service OK?

No other equipment apart from 2 standard phones - they work fine.

6. Please connect your modem/router to the master socket, leaving all other equipment disconnected and see if the problem still happens.

Already tried this, no change

7. Has another modem/router been tested on your line, or have you tested your modem/router on a line known to be working?

I don't have another modem/router

It's not hardware related - I have already said it happened EXACTLY when I was swtiched onto MaxDSL

9. Are you on a particular website when the connection drops?

Random

10. Is the session actually disconnecting (requiring you to login again), or is it degrading to almost nothing (session stays up, but hardly usable)?

It disconnects, drops sync

11. Can you reconnect again straight away, or do you have to reboot?

Reconnect straight away no problem

12. Do you use any other protocols and applications other than Web-browser, email and FTP?

No

13. Do you get an error code when you log on again?

No errors, it reconnects fine - then the cycle starts again an hour or two later

14. Have filters been added to all used points?

Yes

15. Is there an alarm system on the property which utilises the phone line?

No

16. Have you anything else connected to your PC besides the modem/router?

Like what? Joystick, printer, headphones etc?

Please note the make and model of the hardware that you have. This may help us identify problems more quickly.

Zoom USB modem

Please also include your preferred contact number, (which should be a mobile phone where possible) and an alternative, along with the best time to contact you.

evenings on 01380 722371

2006-05-08
13:42:18
[Removed]
without trying question 8 we cannot progress a fault.

It's not hardware related - I have already said it happened EXACTLY when I was swtiched onto MaxDSL

please progress as this may be the cause of the problem as if you have a damaged filter then this would cause the intermittent sysnch problems.
Regards,
Michael Davis

2006-05-08
14:18:46
You
Assigned : Yeah right, so as if by magic, one of my filters goes down exactly as I get switched to MaxDSL - have you read the forums? There are lots of other people with the same issues I have since MaxDSL.

Why don't you do the proper checks instead of shirking your responsibilities and expecting me to go out and buy a £10 filter to perform the tests Plusnet should be doing??

I didnt ask for an "upgrade", you broke my connection...then expect me to go out and buy new hardware to perform tests on itHuh Then you threaten me with a £50 charge if BT can't find a problem. That's an utter joke!!

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Agents names removed. Please don't incude these in quotes from contact us posts as it is against the forum rules.
N/A

The above tickets shows what a joke Plusnet is becoming...insted of doing any tests they try and suggest the issues are my end. Why don't they listen...MY LINE WAS OK UNTIL YOU PUT ME ON MAXDSL !!!!
JonathanW
Grafter

The tests that we ask customers with connection problems to carry out are those that BT ask us to perform before we are able to raise a fault to them. We don't expect people to go out and buy new hardware, as most people know someone else who they can borrow hardware from or have spare hardware themselves, this is especially true when it comes to filters.

As for the possible BT aborted visit charge, this is something that we are required to advise you of and not a threat at all. The fee is levied by BT should they feel that their visit wasn't required.
N/A

So if they feel it wasn't a worthwhile visit Plusnet are gonna try and dump that £50 charge onto me?

I didn't ask to get put on MaxDSL, it has caused line sync drops every hour or two - my line was fine before MaxDSL. Clearly that suggests the problem is because of the "upgrade".

It's a bit of a joke really, that the first time you raise a ticket about it you get hit with 20 questions all centred on the fault being at my end and a threat to get £50 charged to you if BT come out.

Why don't you carry out some proper tests before cut and pasting generic idiot guides onto tickets along with information on penalty charges?? Why isn't Plusnet acknowledging the issues with MaxDSL that are raised many times on these forums, rather than pretending it's a problem with a filter. Address the problem rather than taking the easy way out and fobbing people off.
N/A

I had a rock solid connection until i got maxdsl, then i started getting sync issues and dropouts just like the ones you describe, thought it couldn't be hardware related because everything was fine until maxdsl.
I knew i couldn't raise this as a problem until i'd at least tried another router and filter just so i could say i had, this solved my problems, for some reason my old router just didn't like being maxed
JonathanW
Grafter

This isn't a case of pretending that the problem is with your equipment, simply that there are some things that need testing to ensure that they aren't part of the problem. As with anything electrical, things can stop to function correctly. This is the same whether you're talking about an ADSL filter or a toaster. So these things have to be looked at, especially as a device that works perfectly fine at one speed might not be able to fully handle a higher speed.
N/A

jheathcote

I'm having the same problem. Prior to max DSL connection rock solid. Since max dsl I get exactly the same problem as you.
Ticket raised... guess what: No proble found please check and check and check cause BT may charge if they find no line fault.

Diffitult for BT to find a fault, they re-wired the BT line in November due to a fault.

Gald to see I'm not the only one.

Roy
Brickinit
Grafter

i am having the same problems since upgrading to maxdsl. tried three spare filters no difference, have had to unplug normal DECT phone as it makes the line even worst. line seemed to settle down after about ten days but has since got very erratic. newish dg834gt with latest firmware.this is the diagnostic on my router. can anyone see a problem with it?

System Up Time 00:15:51
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1239 1095 0 206 1032 00:15:31
LAN 10M/100M 24090 29783 0 6115 6094 00:15:49
WLAN 11M/54M 113 0 0 37 0 00:15:47

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1728 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51.0 db 29.0 db
Noise Margin 5.2 db 13.0 db
N/A

This is the same whether you're talking about an ADSL filter or a toaster.

Try plugging your router into a toaster.....you never know!! It might just work!!! Cheesy

Sorry...just trying to lighten the mood....

But seriously, +net are giving the distinct impression that they are whiter than white when it comes to faults. Why not simply admit that the line has been borked due to the upgrade to Max? Coincidence, maybe. Other users complaining of the exact same issue? Definately!

It wouldnt require too much grey matter effort to determine where the fault is.
Lorian
Grafter

can anyone see a problem with it?

Yes, it doesn't look right. Have you tried unconnecting the ring wire from you extensions?
N/A

This is the same whether you're talking about an ADSL filter or a toaster.

Try plugging your router into a toaster.....you never know!! It might just work!!! Cheesy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just burnt the phone socket