cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15Gb and bandwidth.

N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Can someone suitably technical please clarify - what has 15Gb total data transfer got to do with throttling bandwidth?
16 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

15Gb and bandwidth.

Nothing at all. The 15GB figure is how much usenet traffic you can use in a calandar month at full speed, after that the speed is reduced.

Obviously this will contribute to your total usage, but 15GB of total usage will not result in any additional management of your connection.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Sorry, could you please clarify 'speed'? Surely the speed at 2GBs is the same as 3Kbs.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Hmm 3kbps is a subtle slow down i think not! IT STINKS !!

PLUSNET ARE A JOKE !
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

I WILL RECOMMEND YOU TO NOBODY EXEPT WORLDS CRAPPIEST ISP.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Nothing at all. The 15GB figure is how much usenet traffic you can use in a calandar month at full speed, after that the speed is reduced.

Surely bandwidth and speed are different entities.

If we have 2MB connections and you strangle the data tranfer rate to 3KB/s over that line we are not going to be happy bunnies.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Forget speed, it's irrelevant, speed is dictated by the medium amongst other things.

Can someone technical please confirm that regardless of the bandwidth used to transfer NNTP traffic then if the total data transfer using NNTP is greater than 15GB then the user will be penalised by reducing the bandwidth available for that protocol. ie QOS.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

Forget speed, it's irrelevant, speed is dictated by the medium amongst other things.

Can someone technical please confirm that regardless of the bandwidth used to transfer NNTP traffic then if the total data transfer using NNTP is greater than 15GB then the user will be penalised by reducing the bandwidth available for that protocol. ie QOS.

As I understand it they are going to give the bandwidth of slightly below the top speed as they call it 'silver' then when you reach that magic number of 15GB, the will strangle your data transfer rate to a very low rate. I t kinda says those of you who want to use us must suffer and those who only surf a little will be rewarded. Stinks to me as I noticed it more like an off peak service(can only be used late at night).
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

So what we're saying is regardless of the bandwith you have used you will be penalised for trasferring data by reducing your bandwidth.

Hmmm.

Can someone technical explain why bandwidth throttling is being introduced based on total data transfered. Someone not got a fat enough pipe or a responsive enough server farm to provide the services. VOIP involved by any chance?

Analyse your traffic, see what is in demand and cater to that.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

So what we're saying is regardless of the bandwith you have used you will be penalised for trasferring data by reducing your bandwidth.

Hmmm.

Can someone technical explain why bandwidth throttling is being introduced based on total data transfered. Someone not got a fat enough pipe or a responsive enough server farm to provide the services. VOIP involved by any chance?

Analyse your traffic, see what is in demand and cater to that.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

15Gb and bandwidth.

If your usenet traffic in total reaches 15GB then usenet speed will be reduced for the rest of the month.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

I hate PN !
LiamM
Grafter

15Gb and bandwidth.

Gunny, your comments are far from constructive at the moment.

Can I suggest you check your PMs please?
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

What has total data transfer got to do with bandwidth? Please stop quoting
"If you transfer 15GB of data..." it could all have been done at 5Kbs.
N/A

15Gb and bandwidth.

If your usenet traffic in total reaches 15GB then usenet speed will be reduced for the rest of the month.

Duh!
Are you completely clueless?

What we are seeing is a dramatic reduction in the usenet service for _everyone_. Regardless of their useage. I did not agree to throttling on my account (especially NNTP) when I upgraded to broadband. I expected to be able to use if full capabilities regardless of the port/protocol I used.

This is what all the noise is about on this forum.

PLUSNET MANAGEMENT - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

YOUR SERVICE IS CRAP!