cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1571 problem!

N/A

1571 problem!

I have found that if there is an uncollected 1571 message on my phone I cannot connect to the internet. The line indicator on the modem appears to flash in synchronisation with the dialling tone. Collect the message, or delete it, and the problem goes away. Has anyone else found this?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: 1571 problem!

Hi,

I take it that you're on dial-up?

If so, this is because a 1571 message alters the dial tone to let you know that you have a message - many analogue modems see this as "no dial tone", so won't connect.

This had me scratching my head a few years ago, when I was getting intermittent dial-up problems - caught a BT engineer up a pole near my house, asked for advice and was told to check 1571 for messages. Problem solved :!:

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Full quote of post directly preceding this one removed as it's unnecessary]
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

1571 problem!

The is an opion somewhere in the dial up settings that makes it so the modem doen't require a dialing tone before it tries to connect. That solves this problem, but can make it a bugger to diagnose when you really don't have a dialing tone.

This "feature" actually come in really hand for me when I used dial-up, as I rarely used my phone for calls, I knew when I has a 1571 message by when I couldn't connect to the net!

Phil
N/A

1571 problem!

Hi There

Also if you get the very latest version of the hardware drivers for the modem you will often find that the error handling is better and the broken dial tone presented is less of an issue.
N/A

1571 problem!

Thanks for the response guys. I'm actually on 512ADSL which makes it more of a mystery. The problem has occurred twice for me but when I try to reproduce it by leaving 1571 messages on my phone I cannot do so. I guess that when it has occurred it has been co-incidental with problems at my local exchange.
N/A

1571 problem!

error handling? isnt it because the modem cannot hear a dial tone when it expects one?

I also had this problem (back in the day, dail up Tongue ) as above simply turning off the otpion that says 'wait for dail tone before dialing' in your modems options sorted it.
N/A

1571 problem!

The only way to connect to the web/email while on the 1571 service, is to: -

XP -see if ts option is available in your modem properties menu

Goto Phone and Modem in your control panel
click on modems panel and douck on your modem
In your modem properties clieck on the modem panel
de-select Waiting for a dial tone before dialing in the Dial Control box
N/A

1571 problem!

How spooky that I should find this thread here today, just when I've come to report the same thing - on 2Mbps ADSL, not dialup. I couldn't connect at all between 8pm and 9pm this evening. The "i" light on my router kept flashing as if trying to sync but never turned from orange to green to indicate that a connection had been made. (I have had similar problems stretching back six weeks, with occasional good days thrown in). The modem uses a line which I never use for voice, although I have a phone on one of the extensions. Also using the line via microfilters are a dial-up modem, which I only use occasionally for sending faxes from my computer, and my Sky+ digibox, which Sky tells me makes only one phone call per month.

Because my one good stint of unbroken connectivity coincided with my TV being moved to make way for the decorators, I first checked my Sky setup and saw that it didn't think it was connected to the phone line, even though it was. I rang Sky and they confirmed that it wasn't - and they also said that it hadn't been connected since early September, possibly coinciding with the onset of my connectivty issues. So they are sending an engineer out to investigate. I went straight to the Sky digibox phone socket and unplugged it, hoping to see my ADSL connection come back to life. But alas, it didn't.

So, I rumbled around and found the one phone on this line and picked it up. The dialling tone was discontinuous, which I found out from BT meant that there were calls waiting for me on 1571 (even though I have never knowingly subscribed to the 1571 service). I played the messages which, funnily enough, dated back to early September, also coinciding with my ADSL disconnects.

After playing the messages the dialling tone reverted to normal and, hey presto, my internet connection came back to life and has been ok since.

So... what's the story? I can't see logically how my ADSL connection could be disrupted by ignored 1571 messages. And yet, a couple of people are posting the same thing tonight.

I'm going to cancel the 1571 service anyway and maybe I will find that it's just another coincidence. Or could it be the culprit?

Simon
N/A

1571 problem!

Hi Simon,

Well, I'm glad it is not just me. Interesting that someone else has experienced an ADSL modem being knocked out by an interrupted dialling tone. It's not logical but it seems to happen. At least we lnow what to look for the next time it occurs.

Doug
N/A

1571 problem!

I don't yet have enough data to confirm the 1571 phenomenon. It could be a huge coincidence. If I get time, I will ring myself up a few times this weekend (only way to get a sensible conversation), leave some voice messages and see what happens to my connection.

Simon
N/A

1571 problem!

Well, I did just that but could not manage to reproduce the phenomenon. If it were to be a regular occurrence then I would be more inclined to do something positive about it. As it is, it appears to be an intermittent problem so it is more of a curiosity than an irritation.
N/A

1571 problem!

I'm sorry to say that removing 1571 from my line hasn't cured this problem. I had a 20-minute period of no-syncing tonight at around 7.30pm. Connection has now been re-established, but presumably not for long.

Simon
N/A

1571 problem!

Same here! I've has a period of inability to connect without any 1571 message waiting. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Community Veteran

1571 problem!

I can assure you that the change of or even lack of dial tone on a phone line will have no affect whatsoever on your ADSL signal.
The ADSL signal uses a totaly different part of the frequency spectrum (very much higher) to the audio telephone signals on your line.
Which is why the filter/splitter is there, to seperate the two.
It has to be pure coincidence even spooky as has been mentioned.
N/A

1571 problem!

spooky

That's two spooks I've had - one with the 1571 messages and the other when my Sky digibox was disconnected. Maybe the answer is as basic as my contended bandwidth being temporarily assigned to someone else? What symptom would I see at my end if that were the case?

Simon