cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14gb PAYG vs BBYW Option 2

N/A

I am on £14.99 PAYG, can anyone please tell me what are the downsides of moving from this to Option 2?

I know that my 2gb limit will increase to 8gb, but what cruel tricks do those nice network managers at Plusnet have up their sleeves?

Is there a change in traffic management?

Are the Peak hours different?

Do you get more chocolate with it?

Has anyone done it? If so any comments?
7 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

The chargable usage hours (8am - midnight) are the same on PAYG as they are on BBYW.

The main difference is the speed at peak times for non-interactive protocols, as you can see here. Another thing to note is the cessation charge, if you cease the line for whatever reason you fall foul of the new cessation charge from BT Wholesale.

The benefits are the increased usage, a cheaper product, the option to add smaller amounts of additional usage should you exceed the allowance (1GB at £1, compared to 2GB at £1.80 on PAYG) or the ability to buy 1GB blocks of usage in advance at 75p a go (which last time I checked was the cheapest you could buy a 1GB additional block of data from any ISP), and a host of new features coming over the next couple of months. Smiley
madjbright
Grafter

I moved over and have not regretted it. I rarely use the restricted protocols and when I do I do not mind waiting. Windows updates download in the background anyway so you do not know about them until they are ready. As I was using an extra 2Gb per month I have saved myself £1.80 and given myself some headroom on bandwidth. Normal use of browsing etc appears to be unaffected as are speed test speeds.
N/A

That cessation charge is an immediate blocker, I am not going to go into why as there is a thread about it elsewhere.

I don't use P2P but right now I try to download big things overnight. It would be useful to know what protocol limits are placed on my current product so I can make a comparison.

It seems that you have different ideas about what OFF PEAK means, looking at the limits you are placing on protocols. I use the internet mostly during the day so I was concerned to see NR on P2P between 12am and 12pm but then I saw this comment

*Even though there are no individual restrictions, the speeds you receive are still affected by traffic prioritisation and the activities of every other customer who is sharing the network. If you are interested you can also see the Broadband Your Way expected upstream speeds."

In my experience when you layer one sort of traffic management over another it does not produce good results for users.

I would like to see one system, push the P2P usage to 12am to 6am and restrict it during working hours and evenings.

I don't know what download site and download servers are, but if I want a service pack I want it quickly. The same applies to sites like Dell for their ISO's for system software.

Under the previous regime I simply could not download the Dell ISO's overnight, they kept failing. I might have another go to see if things have changed on the improved shiny new network.

I would still like to get better speed, right now I get

of a possible 7mb that is my stable rate. http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Things have improved, especially the DNS type delays that seemed to prevent many sites from working.

The network used to vary so much from

to

I am on that @plusdsl2 trial on the BT network, it is a shame we can't trial these "options" as they say there is no going back as the products won't exist. This suggests that eventually we will all be forced to move?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I think I've answered all your comments, but if I've missed anything please feel free to give me a nudge. Smiley

You can see the current PAYG expereince here.

With the new products we have moved away from peak and off peak, and now have a usage allowance with free overnight usage, something you get on your current package as is.

The cessation charge has been discussed in some detail elsewhere, so I'll leave that one. Smiley

The comment you pasted from the product pages should not be concerning, it simply means that throughout the day we prioritise http, email, streaming and all the other protocols which would suffer from a 'free-for-all' type situation. It does not mean that speeds would be artificially limited.

Download sites are things like Akamai, iTunes and such like, and are only restricted during 4pm to midnight on Option 2.

The new products are no longer available to new customers, or customers who choose to move to a new product, however this does not mean that we will be removing the existing products. We've said a few times that this is not going to be the case, and we still have customers on products which were on sale 5 years ago, so I'd say you're safe. Smiley
N/A

Hi Mand

Thanks for clarifying that, so according to that image of the existing package there are none of the restrictions you have placed on the BBYW Option 2 on things like Downloads etc.

They both had the caveat, so all things being equal I will get better performance on my current package on these things.

I was actually relieved that there was prioritising of traffic on top of these limits I suppose this explains why I can't get more that 5mb performance on a 7mb stable rated line.

So I think I am best off on my current package, getting an extra 6mb of capacity is tempting but there is not much point when the things I might use it for a limited.

Perhaps you cpuld clarify one thing, I was previously tempted by BB+ which also was the same price BUT has a lower priority than PAYG.

Is PAYG traffic given a higher priority over BBYW? After all we are paying a higher rate per GB (£7.50 for the first 2gb and 90p per gb thereafter in chunks of 2gb minimum).
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

PAYG has the highest priority on our network. In real terms the only times you would see a difference would be when using non-interactive protocols during the evening (excluding Option 1). Surfing, streaming etc are the same priority on all products, it's just the P2P/Usenet/FTP type stuff that is treated differently some of the time.

I would say if you have no need for the extra bandwidth then the PAYG product is your best bet.
Community Veteran

I suppose this explains why I can't get more that 5mb performance on a 7mb stable rated line.

This is more likely to be caused by exchange contention.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed