cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 Days, no connection. What I do now? A - reset the modem!

Gorvul
Grafter

I have now been 14 days with no ADSL connection.
Apart from people suggesting that I should leave (I've been looking at Be as a potential supplier), is there any good advice out there as to what other things I should do, to either put pressure on Plusnet, or who to properly complain to?

Do I contact Ofcom? What are my consumer rights? Are Plusnet breaking the terms and conditions? And if so, what does this mean for me? What action can I take?

I was due to be put back onto BT from LLU on Monday just gone, but this has not yet happened. I'm pretty fed up with Plusnet having the words but not seemingly able to take action, and I think it unacceptable to be without a connection for 14 days. I reported my loss of DSL connection on 8th March, the morning that I lost it.

I'm really fed up of waiting. I don't know how seriously staff take these issues - there was certainly no delay in taking the money out of my account this month.

In Plusnet's credit, the staff on the phone have been very friendly and polite, but I am still with no connection, and with no definite answer about when I can expect to be reconnected.

EDITED 30/03/2007 - AFTER RESETTING THE MODEM TO FACTORY DEFAULT I WAS ABLE TO RECONNECT
43 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The switch back to BT completed yesterday morning, I've replied to your ticket. Can you try it again please and see if it's now working?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder if there may be an issue with the login domain - has this been checked? It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this change.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gorvul
Grafter

well, I have certainly tried it since yesterday morning. I've tried it today, but no DSL light comes up on the router (the power and ewthernet light are the only ones lit). I can't try it now as I can't break my current (dial-up) connection at the moment.

Why didn't Plusnet tell me that I'd been put back onto BT? They had said that they would tell me straight away, when the switch happened, as far as I remember.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Shows plusdsl.net on both the account and in BT, woosh test shows the line isn't in sync.
gswindale
Grafter

Re: 14 Days no connection - what should I do now?

I'm really fed up of waiting. I don't know how seriously staff take these issues - there was certainly no delay in taking the money out of my account this month.

What's your billing date? Are you paying by Direct Debit? If so, if the problems only happened around the time the DD was due, then there isn't a lot that Plus can do about it. They have to give 10 days notice of any changes to the amounts and, as the service is actually part of BACS, the DD instruction is actioned a few days before the money leaves your account, so if your billing date was 10th of the month, the instruction will start on about the 6th at the earliest (allowing for weekends).
Gorvul
Grafter

Shows plusdsl.net on both the account and in BT, woosh test shows the line isn't in sync.

should I have my router on and connected continously at the moment? I did ask in a ticket somewhere I think, but no answer came back. The last said on the subject was that I should disconnect my router modem while more diagnostic tests were run.

Shall I leave the modem on and connected? If so, can I use dial up in the meantime with dial-up cable in the splitter where the phone would normally go?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The fault will now be closed because the supplier has changed so you'll just need to switch the router on connect it up to the phone line and it should work. You won't be able to connect on the broadband though until you disconnect the dial-up connection because both connections will be assigned the same IP address.
Gorvul
Grafter

Don't close the fault!!!!
I still can't connect to broadband!
Bookman
Grafter

I seem to recall reading on uSwitch.com that switching from LLU causes some of the worst problems generally. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Don't close the fault!!!!
I still can't connect to broadband!

The old fault was for Tiscali - so it is now irrelevant. You need to start a new fault for the problem with BT.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
carrot63
Grafter

Several people last year lost their connections for some time during the LLU>BT migration at the end of last year. In those cases (I think) its was a BT systems problem where the job was marked as complete, but hadn't actually been completed by the engineer. My own issue was similar, but I didnt lose the connection. There was a long thread on this on PUG.
Gorvul
Grafter

The old fault was for Tiscali - so it is now irrelevant. You need to start a new fault for the problem with BT.

I disagree. I was on LLU, and I've been told that I'm switched back to BT. THe fault remains. This suggests that the fault was not with Tiscali, as Tiscali have been eliminated now.
It should not be started as a new fault.

It may make it easier to identify the fault, having been put back onto BT, but it's not a new fault now, nor should it be treated as one.

I still think that 15 days is way too long to identify a fault.
Gorvul
Grafter

Thank you insightphotos.

Perhaps someone from Plusnet could look into this possibility.
I'll add this info to my ticket now.
N/A

Mark, I can only sympathise

I've had 4 months waiting for LLU back to BT, and PN seem to have abandoned doing anything.